Hey! It would be very much appreciated if someone could help me with this issue. I would like to learn how to play something similar to these two pieces:
www.picosong.com/RDjB
www.picosong.com/RDjt
I found them on a CD/book called something like 'The Anthology of the American Acoustic Guitar' (my copy is in Russian, so I don't know what exactly the original is called in English). It would be easy for me to play those, but I always prefer to pick out by ear and then play real songs by real musicians, not just some stuff from a book for beginning guitarists. The problem is that my attempts to find something similar to those mp3 files on youtube failed as all I could find searching for 'fingerpicking country' was guitar lessons. It seems like no country music has ever been played this way, which I believe is not the case.
So can you maybe recommend me an old record of some popular country song with a fingerstyle guitar (preferably being the only intstrument on the record, so that I can easily get every detail right). Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Alex__K at Aug 1, 2013,
Oh, it turns out that I'm not allowed to post a link to the website where I uploaded those two mp3-files. Where can I upload them instead to be able to post the link here?
You can give the name of the two pieces and maybe someone would be able to help you more... without the name, male pregnancy might be easier.
Quote by Alex__K
That's weird, but this time posting the links worked out just fine.
This site has its own robots, that combat spam bots which post advertising on their first post. (I know, it's like a cyber android war). If they get too aggressive, as in this case, a moderator will correct the problem.

I don't have an answer for you on your original question, but at least I can solve the this mystery for you.
if you post these in the "Tab Talk" section, someone usually will tab them out for you. they seem fairly simple patterns but i must admit that i have severe allergies to country music.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Unfortunately, I'm on my iPad and no flash player... However "Blue Mountain Train" and "I've been working on the railroad" are both old standards of country/folk.

They might have been covered in anything from simple, Carter-style playing to very advanced playing by Chet Atkins or Merle Travis. I'll try to give a listen when I get home.
OK, I was able to listen to these cuts... They are very much in the style of Merle Travis or early Chet Atkins.
Both were advanced fingerstyle guitarists who played not only country tunes but a wide variety of pop music and both have plenty of instructional material available.

For instance:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Complete-Chet-Atkins-Guitar-Method/4803973

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Merle-Travis-Guitar-Style/dp/078660266X

Also, plenty of stuff on You Tube as well.
Thank you all guys for your help! Bikewer, I'll check out your suggestions in a couple of hours and let you know what I think about them.
Quote by Captaincranky
"I've been Workin' on the Railroad", gets it's own Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ve_Been_Working_on_the_Railroad ,complete with sheet music...!

Well, yeah, thanks, but that sheet music contains only the melody of the song, I'm afraid. And what I'm interested in is the guitar part. Actually I don't really need sheet music for a song as long as it's as simple as those two pieces ('cause it doesn't take too long to figure out how to play it). The problem is to find a piece of music that is worth learning.
Quote by Bikewer
OK, I was able to listen to these cuts... They are very much in the style of Merle Travis or early Chet Atkins.
Both were advanced fingerstyle guitarists who played not only country tunes but a wide variety of pop music and both have plenty of instructional material available.

For instance:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Complete-Chet-Atkins-Guitar-Method/4803973

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Merle-Travis-Guitar-Style/dp/078660266X

Also, plenty of stuff on You Tube as well.

First of all, thank you very much once again for taking your time to help me!
I checked out the book by Chet Atkins and I would rather describe it as learning material than real-world songs. Though I was just facinated by Chet Atkins' Mr Sandman a couple of weeks ago and it was actually the most recent song I learned how to play. However I find other songs by Chet Atkins far more advanced level than my two mp3-files, and country is not the genre that I would like to learn very thoroughly; gaining the basic understanding of how some generic fingerpicking songs are played would be enough to move on to other genres. The same applies to Merle Travis' songs, plus I couldn't find his book available online for free. So maybe there are forerunners of Mr Atkins and Mr Travis who played in the style of those two pieces?
Well, this kind of music is a progression... The early fingerstyle country artists used a much more basic approach, the most common being the "Carter Style", from the musically-famous Carter family.
It's essentially the beginning style most all country and folk fingerstyle players use. Again, there are plenty of instruction manuals and YouTube videos... Just look up "Carter style playing".
I found several YouTube hits right away.
Essentially, the thumb plays the melody line on the bass strings, and the fingers play the chords...both full chords and arpeggios.
It's a fine way to get into fingerstyle, as it's simple but you can build from there.
Which is what artists like Atkins and Travis did.
Thank you! Even though in the two files I uploaded the melody is definitely not played with the thumb, this Carter style does sound interesting to me and I think it would be nice to have it under my belt. So thanks a lot!
P.S. In the book those two pieces are from, it's written that the style they're played in is called 'three-finger style', for what it's worth.
Try Stefan Grossman's book, he has many books and video tutorials teaching this kind of style. This is more like old Ragtime country style.
Quote by Alex__K
Hey! It would be very much appreciated if someone could help me with this issue. I would like to learn how to play something similar to these two pieces:
www.picosong.com/RDjB
www.picosong.com/RDjt
I found them on a CD/book called something like 'The Anthology of the American Acoustic Guitar' (my copy is in Russian, so I don't know what exactly the original is called in English). It would be easy for me to play those, but I always prefer to pick out by ear and then play real songs by real musicians, not just some stuff from a book for beginning guitarists. The problem is that my attempts to find something similar to those mp3 files on youtube failed as all I could find searching for 'fingerpicking country' was guitar lessons. It seems like no country music has ever been played this way, which I believe is not the case.
So can you maybe recommend me an old record of some popular country song with a fingerstyle guitar (preferably being the only intstrument on the record, so that I can easily get every detail right). Thanks in advance!

Bikewer recomended two links in its post for two books, one for Chet Atkins and the other one for Merle Travis. Those two books are all what you need to learn the best fingerpicking style.

Follow the advice of Bikewer. You don't regret it.

Regards.