Hey,

Just wondering what the difference is on guitar necks that are Maple compared to Rosewood? I'm looking at getting a new guitar but one is a maple fretboard and the other is rosewood. I've never played a maple board are they just for looks or do they actually change the sound?

Thanks!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Maple is a bit brighter, rosewood is a bit warmer. The difference is not enormous but if you play a bunch of guitars with both you'll probably start to hear what each one offers.

This is of course in a general sense, and assuming everything else is the same. Most guitars vary enough from instrument to instrument that it becomes unproductive to use it as a tonal criterion.
they also feel slightly different. which is also worth pointing out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They both also have different weights, but that isn't a noticeable difference.
They both also have different smells, but that isn't a noticeable difference.
They also burn slightly differently, but if that's happening I suspect you have bigger problems at hand.
I don't like Rosewood on Fenders. It feels awful to me. The higher frets on a Gibson make it negligible.
Quote by johnnykbop
They also burn slightly differently, but if that's happening I suspect you have bigger problems at hand.

Actually, that's what I'm asking for. Its a home science project I'm doing. I'm trying to figure out which one takes longer to burn.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The biggest difference for me is the neck shape: if you're used to playing on a rosewood (like I am) you might find a maple neck to feel uncomfortable as it kinda cuts into your thumb and doesn't feel as natural to hold...
I suggest you focus on the feel of the neck when you try out the new guitar, it might be something you could overlook.

EDIT: my experience only relates to fender guitars
Last edited by ComradSputnik at Aug 1, 2013,
Other than looks they mostly feel a bit different (which doesn't matter much if the guitar has jumbo frets).

Tone-wise it's a bit complicated. Most people will say rosewood is warmer and maple is brighter (except for Steve Vai and a German guitar demo guy ) ...

BUT:
Rosewood is actually more jangly while maple sounds more high-middy and kinda muted in the higher treble frequencies, making the sound present but at the same time less piercing.

High-mids are often confused with highs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
See, I agree that maple is more high-mids than highs but it still sounds more jangly to me

Guess that's why we have to keep talking about this stuff in weird vague term and occasionally arguing about them.
^ i'd say maple is snappier.

i think i saw someone on tgp post that once.

Quote by Roc8995
They both also have different smells, but that isn't a noticeable difference.

are you saying i have a bad sense of smell?!?!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp

Tone-wise it's a bit complicated. Most people will say rosewood is warmer and maple is brighter (except for Steve Vai and a German guitar demo guy ) ...

The guy who does GearGossip on youtube?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
^ Nah, the guy from Musik Schmidt/Session Music.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You would need to play each for many hours to hear any differences in two otherwise "identical" guitars (no two are absolutely the same). I cannot hear a different between the two, but I like the feel of the Fender glossy maple necks and the look. I noticed no difference in sustain or tone.
I usually prefer rosewood w/ telecasters. My strat has a rosewood board, but for 99% of strats, I prefer maple. My strat is just weird.
^ For me it's the other way round.

Rosewood on Strats is cool, but prefer maple for Teles.
Actually I want an SSS Strat with maple fretboard as well.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well, my current guitar is a Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute. The first 2011 model though that came with Rosewood and not Baked Maple. I plan on keeping it. Its a great guitar but I'm looking for something this time that is a little bit faster for my hands. Its great for chords and bluesy stuff but not quite what I want for fast playing. Its a thin neck but Ive played wayyy thinner. Perhaps Ill go on a limb and just buy the Maple. I went and tried some maple necks at my music store today but all they had were Fenders. I'm looking at the Ibanez RG920MQMZ and I doubt a Fender and Ibanez feel the same so its hard to know for sure. I guess if all else fails I can always re-sell it or trade it for something else.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by al112987
I usually prefer rosewood w/ telecasters. My strat has a rosewood board, but for 99% of strats, I prefer maple. My strat is just weird.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fallenoath
Actually, that's what I'm asking for. Its a home science project I'm doing. I'm trying to figure out which one takes longer to burn.

Best to call it a Philosophy project, cause science ain't got nothing to do with this one.
Maple fretboards are usually always finished.

Rosewood fretboards are usually always raw wood.

They feel incredibly different. I don't get along with maple, personally.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221