Hello, this is my first post on the forum, although I've been on Ultimate-Guitar a lot. But anyway, no one really cares about that, so here i go.

I'm self-taught (no lessons, and they really aren't an option) so I'm not really sure of proper hand positioning, doesn't really cause many problems, YET as I'm still a beginner mostly, except, I find it difficult to get my fingers to do what I want them to do, as in, when practicing the chromatic exercises I find it hard to keep all my fingers close to the fretboard, they just kinda wonder out. My pinky is the worst for it, but I've read a lot of people having pinky problems, so any exercises/knowledge would be appreciated with this, as it is really aggravating.

\m/ JLlovesMM
Quote by JLlovesMM
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, although I've been on Ultimate-Guitar a lot. But anyway, no one really cares about that, so here i go.

I'm self-taught (no lessons, and they really aren't an option) so I'm not really sure of proper hand positioning, doesn't really cause many problems, YET as I'm still a beginner mostly, except, I find it difficult to get my fingers to do what I want them to do, as in, when practicing the chromatic exercises I find it hard to keep all my fingers close to the fretboard, they just kinda wonder out. My pinky is the worst for it, but I've read a lot of people having pinky problems, so any exercises/knowledge would be appreciated with this, as it is really aggravating.

\m/ JLlovesMM

You just need a lot of finger independence exercises done with a relaxed hand.....before you know it your fretting hand ll be retrained and you wont see any flying fingers or pinky problems anymore .
Yeah pretty much keep practicing.
Play really slow (*really* slow) and be very aware of your technique. Make sure it's slow enough where you have perfect control of your movements.
At that tempo, play whatever exercises/licks whatnot that use all your fingers.
Do this for something like 5-10 min every practice session and you'll notice that your technique will slowly improve.
You could probably extend that time to somewhere around 20-30 min but definitely not longer than that, as that is most likely just a waste of time, and you'll risk getting bored and start playing sloppy...and then you'll just get good at playing sloppy.
Once this gets ingrained in your muscle memory you'll be able to play like that at a normal tempo...just give it time.

This is general advise for practicing anything for that matter....regardless of what it is...
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by JLlovesMM
Thanks guys, so basically, just practicing all my fingers, slowly?

Relaxed and accurately - and this is usually slow until you got it down.
That goes for anything technique wise pretty much.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass