I play rhythm guitar in a surf-esque rock band. Neither myself nor the lead guitarist have any distortion whatsoever. Lately, I've had a hankering for a little extra power. I was thinking something along the lines of the Boss DS-1 Overdrive pedal might be nice. I have little to no experience with distortion or overdrive, seeing as I have never dealt with it before. I play with a 12 string Danelectro hooked up to a Fender FRV-1 reverb pedal. I want something to give a bit more power, without losing the reverby surf style of guitar.
Go to your local guitar store with your guitar and pedal, and ask if you can see what it sounds like. Ive taken my amp when ive been buying a guitar, and ive taken my guitar when buying an amp haha. If good people work there, they will want to sell you something. So just go and see which one best suits you mate.
All about the mids!!!!!!!
The Ibanez Tube Screamer.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
a ds 1 is a distortion.

unless you got it backwards and meant an sd1. which'd work, but i'd probably rather have something else (the sd1 is a bit more marshally-sounding and grittier to my ears).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jaybals
big question first: What amp do you have?

Generally I'm playing through Fender tube amps, or whatever I can get my hands on for shows. I just want a very subtle distortion. Nothing too over the top changing the sound of the music we play.
Digitech bad monkey would suit you well, as well as low budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you can get your hands on a Fulltone OCD, it'll sound killer through your Fender amp.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by Biedermannn
Generally I'm playing through Fender tube amps, or whatever I can get my hands on for shows. I just want a very subtle distortion. Nothing too over the top changing the sound of the music we play.

timmy maybe (if it's not too harsh with a fender, though i hear that on tgp and they're full of shit very picky about their gear)

on the cheap a boss bd2 or digitech screamin blues maybe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
something from lovepedal.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Okay, based on recommendations and pricing, I have a few in mind.

The Boss SD-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Digitech Bad Monkey
Fender Drive

The Tube Screamer seems to be getting a lot of love online
Quote by Biedermannn
Okay, based on recommendations and pricing, I have a few in mind.

The Boss SD-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Digitech Bad Monkey
Fender Drive

The Tube Screamer seems to be getting a lot of love online

The Tube Screamer is overpriced and will kill your low-end. You would be better off with a Maxon replica.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Maineguitarist
The Tube Screamer is overpriced and will kill your low-end. You would be better off with a Maxon replica.

They're the same ****ing thing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Dave_Mc
timmy maybe (if it's not too harsh with a fender, though i hear that on tgp and they're full of shit very picky about their gear)

on the cheap a boss bd2 or digitech screamin blues maybe.

no need for the strikethrough
^ yeah i know, the strikethrough was sarcastic

Quote by mmolteratx

They're the same ****ing thing.

+1

the bad monkey is pretty cool on the cheap if you do want the tubescreamery thing without the pricetag, and also with the ability to add the low end back in (or cut it if you want).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?