Hey guys.

Last week I pulled out my old starter strat copy made by electricals brand Acoustic Solutions. I used to hate this guitar as it has a fat neck which my young hands couldnt manage, but now I'm fully grown I quite like the neck.

But any way. I want to modify it into a rustic guitar for slide. So high action, open tunings etc. It needs new electronics to.

Now here are my questions.

The guitar is not in best kept condition and the bridge has rusted, so it will need replacing. I prefer to have a fixed bridge like an SG. Is there some where where I can get a bridge that fits the cavity of a strat that is like an SG bridge on the top?

If not then can I can get a hardtail strat bridge to fit?

Also, do you have any more advice in general? I have never actually modded a guitar before.

I am in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
From what I've seen, you can't put a Gibson style Tune-O-Matic on a Fender without special routing because of the neck angle. And you can't put a Fender hard-tail on without filling the cavity.

The easiest thing you can do is replace it with a similar tremolo and just block it off.
Quote by johnnykbop
From what I've seen, you can't put a Gibson style Tune-O-Matic on a Fender without special routing because of the neck angle. And you can't put a Fender hard-tail on without filling the cavity.

The easiest thing you can do is replace it with a similar tremolo and just block it off.

Ok thanks for the info. It all makes sense.
Damn. I was looking at doing this on a friends basement rescue. He wanted a tune-o on a fender style body. Not goin' work!
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0067.html
Glad I did some research.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You can just shim under the neck... would take 10 minutes. Instant neck angle.

True. Or you could just buy a hardtail strat bridge:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hard-Tail-Bridge-with-I-saddles-on-a-Trapazoid-Bas-p/bn104.htm

You wouldn't have to fill in the cavity with that bridge. In fact, you can use the old holes for stringing through underneath the bridge.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by eddiehimself
True. Or you could just buy a hardtail strat bridge:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hard-Tail-Bridge-with-I-saddles-on-a-Trapazoid-Bas-p/bn104.htm

You wouldn't have to fill in the cavity with that bridge. In fact, you can use the old holes for stringing through underneath the bridge.

Wouldn't you still have to fill the hole under the bridge? The fixed bridge mounts on the surface of the guitar. The space for the trem would leave you no where to put the strings through the body. If you were doing a top mount, then I could see that.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Wouldn't you still have to fill the hole under the bridge? The fixed bridge mounts on the surface of the guitar. The space for the trem would leave you no where to put the strings through the body. If you were doing a top mount, then I could see that.

The strings just go through the hole from the trem. The holes for the strings are in the same place as the trem block is on a tremolo bridge.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."