Hey,

Ive been looking for a new amp for a while now because my HT5 just sounds bad to me. I cant seem to get a nice tone i want for the metal side of playing.
Its a good amp yeah but im just bored of it now.

What im after is a parkway/KSE kinda metal sound. But also keeping the cleans and being able to roll the gain back a bit and play some pop punk stuff.

Amps ive been looking at have been:

Marshall JCM 900 SL X
JCA 50 head
Peavey 6505/XXX

I guess part of me has always loved the 6505 but i want something similar to that but with cleans. (guess we all do in a way)

Budget of around £400 and yes used is fine.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
If you want cleans rule the Marshall out, no cleans to be had on that one at all.

The 6505 is a good bet, cleans aren't awe-inspiring but good enough. It's pretty much the go to for the sounds you want.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
6505+ is THE Parkway sound. That and a Mesa Recto 4x12, and you're golden. Throw in a noise gate and MAYBE a tube screamer, you got the perfect metal setup.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Laney Ironheart or 6505+.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by emerald876
6505+ is THE Parkway sound. That and a Mesa Recto 4x12, and you're golden. Throw in a noise gate and MAYBE a tube screamer, you got the perfect metal setup.

I kinda wanted to stay away form the 6505 cuz they are LOUD but Looks like im gonna get one then. I do have a Zilla 2x12 loaded with V'30s a TS and a noise gate too so should be fine then after i get the head

Was wondering on other options that could be quieter

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
I kinda wanted to stay away form the 6505 cuz they are LOUD but Looks like im gonna get one then. I do have a Zilla 2x12 loaded with V'30s a TS and a noise gate too so should be fine then after i get the head

Was wondering on other options that could be quieter

Put an EQ in the loop and turn the level slider down.

Solution for every amp that's "too loud" ever.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have an SL-X and while it's a great amp on it's own (and can do quite good cleans if you know what you're doing), it probably isn't the right one for the Parkway Drive or KSE kind of tone.

6505(+) would be your best bet. Cleans really aren't that bad by the way, just pretty dry sounding. And the distorted tone from it is pretty damn awesome.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
6505. The volume knob controls the.....
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
the jet city is hard to beat for the price it goes for on thomann. admittedly, more of a crunch channel than a clean channel, and the 6505 may well be more suitable as the others are saying. but if you consider that a new 6505 is 4x the price of the jet city...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the jet city is hard to beat for the price it goes for on thomann. admittedly, more of a crunch channel than a clean channel, and the 6505 may well be more suitable as the others are saying. but if you consider that a new 6505 is 4x the price of the jet city...

This is why im thinking Jet city. But i dont know if im gonna get it then a few days/weeks later think "I should of got that used 6505+"

I should probs go find a shop that has the JCA 50 in stock

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
yeah i mean it's really up to you. I mean it's not a good deal if it doesn't suit what you want to play. and only buying stuff because it's a good deal isn't much fun either. But it's still worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm surprised no one has said EVH 5150 III, great clean channel and a tight aggressive lead channel while ch2 does everything inbetween
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'm surprised no one has said EVH 5150 III, great clean channel and a tight aggressive lead channel while ch2 does everything inbetween

I dont have that kinda money to spend on one.

Ive been reduced to looking at a Bugera 6262 again aha

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
I dont have that kinda money to spend on one.

Ive been reduced to looking at a Bugera 6262 again aha

OK, That sucks. what is your budget ?

Bugeras sound really nice, the build quality just sucks. I would try and go Jet City JCA50 or better if you can. Even the Laney Ironheart would be worth looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
OK, That sucks. what is your budget ?

Bugeras sound really nice, the build quality just sucks. I would try and go Jet City JCA50 or better if you can. Even the Laney Ironheart would be worth looking at

Budget of around £400.

I wouldnt mind getting a bugera again tbh but the 6262 i had was a bit too loud. It was the combo plugged into my 2x12 cab as well aha..

So it looks like the Bugers (6262/6260) or the good deals on the Peaveys. And maybe the JCA50

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Robbgnarly

Wouldn't call the 'clean channel' great.
Channel 2 and 3 basically sound the same (both to me and the friend I tested it with), only differing in gain. And channel 2 already had more gain than anyone would ever need for anything. Of course you could use channel 3 as a solo-channel.

But overall I thought the 6505+ is the better sounding amp and has more tonal variety.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ok not great, but pretty good for a high gain head, and better than most.

I thought the 5150 III was more versatile than the 6505 or 5150II my buddy has.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Depending on your budget there's a few options that are worth considering..

A Framus Cobra is basically a 6505 without the fizz and a legitimate clean channel, but they're pricey.

EVH 5153

Splawn Quick Rod or Nitro for the KSE stuff, since that's what they're using nowadays. I owned a Quick Rod and didn't think it had enough gain to do metal very well (without a boost), but it's definitely a nice amp.

Peavey JSX is a solid option for both having one of the best squeaky clean tones from a high gainer, and a brutal OD channel. They can be had for a good price nowadays too

Peavey 5150/6505 (obviously)

Carvin V3 might interest you, the only experience with these I've had is a V3m (which wasn't impressive). The regular version is a lot better amp than the micro from what I've heard.

Peavey XXX, which are rather cheap now (used).

If you're wanting a clean channel I would opt for the 100W model instead of the 50W Jet City, more headroom with the bigger power section. They definitely have more clean potential than a 5150/6505, but it's not a dedicated clean channel either.

If you really dig the Marshall thing, I would seriously consider looking for a Peavey VTM. They're obscure and hard to find, but damn do they nail the angry Marshall in spades. And they can be had for under $300 all day long because they're so under the radar. Marshall sent them a cease and desist letter because it was so similar to their JCM800, so they weren't made very long. The 120W version is supposed to be tighter than the 60W version for what it's worth

Here's my review on the VTM I have https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1595672
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]