Page 1 of 2
The term is usually used to describe invasive procedures but I want to talk about all medical procedures that alter one's appearance for aesthetic reasons, both permanent and temporary. How do you feel about it and given the opportunity would you do it yourself/have you done it already?

I would put braces/retainers in the same category because they are not medically necessary for everyone who gets them. do you agree?
cat
I could see it being good for some people, but I really don't see the need to do it so much that one becomes Joan Rivers.
I have no problem with people who have plastic surgery done to them. It's their bodies, they should do whatever they want with themselves.

Do I want plastic surgery done? Nope.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
note: plastic surgery isn't always for aesthetic reasons

i don't have a huge problem with it, i just find that many of the women that want it would probably be better off just accepting themselves for how they are. that said, those women were also very pretty. if an ugly women told me she wanted plastic surgery i would immediately change the subject.

as far as men and plastic surgery goes, i don't hear much about it.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
When I was 20, I had to undergo facial reconstructive surgery, because of damage. That count?

I would say yes because even if there are other reasons for the surgery, aesthetics would be part of it wouldn't it? (assuming there is a visible change, correct me if I'm wrong)

if you don't mind my asking, what was it for?

Quote by Eastwinn
note: plastic surgery isn't always for aesthetic reasons

yeah, I just wanted a short thread title and "aesthetic surgery" is hard to say haha. I guess I want to talk about both though.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
yeah, I just wanted a short thread title and "aesthetic surgery" is hard to say haha. I guess I want to talk about both though.

but you don't have to say it, all you have to do is type it.

I tend to be against it, but whatever you wanna do I guess.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Eastwinn
but you don't have to say it, all you have to do is type it.

sometimes I talk while I type and I like typing things that are pleasant for my inner voice to read aloud to me
cat
Quote by guitarxo

Cosmetic surgery is what it's called.
Quote by guitarxo
I would say yes because even if there are other reasons for the surgery, aesthetics would be part of it wouldn't it? (assuming there is a visible change, correct me if I'm wrong)

if you don't mind my asking, what was it for?
The surgery for?

Well, you can only take so many punches from a strong & furious 300 pound mans fist to the face before damage is done and surgery is required...
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by Jackintehbox
Cosmetic surgery is what it's called.

I don't like the way that sounds either and it refers more to non-invasive procedures which are usually less controversial
cat
Quote by guitarxo
sometimes I talk while I type and I like typing things that are pleasant for my inner voice to read aloud to me

i'm so sorry about your lisp then *

*i'm also sorry about that comment if you actually have a lisp

anyway, more on topic.

i think the kind of plastic surgery we're all disgusted by is the kind done to women who look perfectly fine but really believe they're ugly. it's the idea that they have a problem (BDD or whatever you wanna call it) that we all wish we could help them overcome, but instead we failed.
i want to point out that getting braces to align your teeth is supposed to prevent teeth from growing in poorly and causing trouble later
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
its the most competitive medical specialty because of the buttloads of money involved

other than that, don't really care what people do.
except when 60 year old women try to look 20. i'm not down with that because they just end up looking like reptiles.
sigless
The amount of makeup most girls wear now is honestly almost plastic surgery. It's ridiculous
Quote by PapaKooLay

at least they seem to be able to get it kind of "right." those were photoshopped, by the way (apparently).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Mark hamill star wars 4/1 - Mark hamill star wars 5/2 & star wars 6/3
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by progdude93
The amount of makeup most girls wear now is honestly almost plastic surgery. It's ridiculous

i'm sure u are very pretty
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'd do it. I'd probably more likely get liposuction than anything done to my face. I used to want a buccal fat reduction because my face was really fat even when my BMI was 16, but it slimmed out as I got older so I don't really care any more.
I had my upper jaw moved forward and my lower jaw back to correct a severe underbite a year ago. Technically it's plastic surgery, but considering the extremity of the bite caused speech impediments, difficulty chewing, dental problems, neck pain, and migraines, the latter two becoming chronic down the road if it was left alone, it wasn't done for aesthetic reasons as much as to allow my mouth to function properly.

The recovery process was without a doubt the worst experience of my life. Your jaw being wired shut is even worse than it sounds, and with all the inflammation, it felt like I couldn't breathe through my mouth or my nose - since they operate through the sinuses - for the first week or so. Then there's having to re-learn how to eat and talk.

Why anyone would do something like that purely for looks is beyond me. I would absolutely do it again though; I can speak clearly and distinctly now, my mouth feels better, I don't wake up with a sore jaw, I don't get headaches as much, my neck feels better, I enjoy eating more, I'm more confident, really the only thing that bugs me is electric toothbrushes make my bone plates vibrate, so I use a manual toothbrush now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
The term is usually used to describe invasive procedures but I want to talk about all medical procedures that alter one's appearance for aesthetic reasons, both permanent and temporary. How do you feel about it and given the opportunity would you do it yourself/have you done it already?

I would put braces/retainers in the same category because they are not medically necessary for everyone who gets them. do you agree?

Maybe not medically necessary, but certainly helpful for self esteem.
Are braces actually surgery though?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Are braces actually surgery though?

They can be part of positioning things in the jaw to make the surgery easier and more natural-looking - as was my case - but saying that wearing braces is the same as surgery is silly.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Attaching braces is technically a surgery, I think.

In the textbook sense yes, but typically if someone refers to something as surgery, they're talking about much more invasive procedures that usually require anesthetic. So literally yes, but in regards to what is typically meant by the term.

I think I do tend to judge, but meh really there's nothing wrong with wanting to modify or improve your body. Obviously it can be symptomatic of having a low opinion of yourself to start with, which is sad, or might be inspired by cultural influences like models and the media etc, which is also a bit sad, but simply aesthetic modification itself... I can't really see any reason I would have any right to comment on it for other people.

I guess part of the problem is it rarely makes people actually look nicer. Fake boobs and nose jobs, for example, are usually obviously fake and really not greatly pleasant. It's the same with excessive makeup for me really. I want to judge and wish people would realise they near always look far better with much less, but they're happy with it so meh best of luck to them.

nuff said.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

It's not the act of the surgery that worries me, more the motives behind it.

People can do whatever the hell they want to their bodies, but when it becomes an pressured escape from confrontation of either yourself or socially/workwise, you're doing something really ****ed up.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by progdude93

This, so much.

Also, unless you're deformed or were injured in an accident, I don't see the need for it. Be happy with what you have.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Technically I've had plastic surgery on my chest, though if I waited long enough it probably would have been necessary. According to the doctor it's one of the most painful surgeries there is.
I suppose I do sort of fit in their as I had braces (well, not really, it was invisalign but same shit anyways).

MAYBE I would get a nose job if I was rich as hell, but nah, other than that I'm not too big a fan of plastic surgery.

I kind of agree with what Jane Leeves (Daphne from Frasier) said about plastic surgery, basically saying that Meg Ryan destroyed her career because of it, and also said “they never look right on somebody who’s not born that way. It always looks weird."
Page 1 of 2