Hey,

I just got some tracks back from an online session drummer. It's the first time I've done something like this.

The files all have quite a bit of bleed from the other bits of the kit - is this normal? If so, what is the normal amount? I'm worried it may be too much bleed to get a good, professional sound (ie. can hear the hi hat in the kick recording, that's the most worrying)

FILES ARE HERE - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s51n9ywijr3sewx/N4HaHqiY4X
Please let me know, are they usable at all for a professional sound?! I don't mind programming the kick and snare :P

Have been speaking to the drummer and he says it's normal and that I should be concerned more about the 'overall sound' of the kit. I'm more used to my VSTs (addictive drums, superior drummer) which have no bleed at all, so advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
AJ
Last edited by ankthebank at Aug 3, 2013,
Yeah bleed is fairly normal and totally fine. Just gate the kick and snare (maybe just an expander rather than an outright gate for the snare) and try to get any other mics in phase with the overheads as best possible.
Quote by chatterbox272
Yeah bleed is fairly normal and totally fine. Just gate the kick and snare (maybe just an expander rather than an outright gate for the snare) and try to get any other mics in phase with the overheads as best possible.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

My main concern is the kick - the cymbals seem to be fairly loud in the recording and, no matter how much I gate or EQ, it's hard to isolate it. Guess it's kind of in part with it being live drum recording.

Is there any chance I could send you my kick file and for you to talk me through it? Would be greatly appreciated!
You're welcome to send it over and I can talk you through it for sure, but I won't be able to do it any time in the next 12 hours or so. It's currently almost 4AM local time, I'm about to sleep, then I have a band rehearsal and some other stuff to do so it won't be until after all that.
Did he mic the kick outside of the head? TBH, I've never had much of an issue with bleed on the kick mic, I always shove the front of the mic into the cut hole on the bass drum and it isolates the kick very well. I could see you getting a lot of bleed if he's micing outside of the hole, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by chatterbox272
You're welcome to send it over and I can talk you through it for sure, but I won't be able to do it any time in the next 12 hours or so. It's currently almost 4AM local time, I'm about to sleep, then I have a band rehearsal and some other stuff to do so it won't be until after all that.

Ok that's perfectly fine! I'll send you a PM with a link once I've uploaded it!
Thanks very much.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Did he mic the kick outside of the head? TBH, I've never had much of an issue with bleed on the kick mic, I always shove the front of the mic into the cut hole on the bass drum and it isolates the kick very well. I could see you getting a lot of bleed if he's micing outside of the hole, though.

He said he placed the mic inside the bass drum, which was covered with a thick blanket. He says the bleed had come from the sheer volume at which he was playing at - but I have no idea if that's true or not? To me it seems as if some of the other parts of the kit (tom and cymbals) are overpowering the kick
Last edited by ankthebank at Aug 2, 2013,
Interesting. Sounds like he bashes his cymbals way too hard to me

I'd just gate as much as you can, and if that doesn't work, program the kick hits.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Don't think about the tracks in isolation, think about the sound as a whole. When you put the kick drum track in the context of all the other tracks you may not even notice the problem. If the problem is that the hi-hat isn't in time then mess around with phase and delays to get them right.
okay I've listened to your track and there's no way that's an internal kick mic. No way in hell. The balance of the kit isn't too far off from what I'd expect from a drum buss, it's just a little light on the kick/snare.
I wouldn't even bother with a kick track like that, I'd just program it. If all the tracks are like that then I'd program everything.

It might pay to post a link here for others to listen too it as well. (but don't use the site you used to send it to me, that thing installed so much ad-ware on my computer it wasn't funny. Use dropbox or something)
Quote by chatterbox272
okay I've listened to your track and there's no way that's an internal kick mic. No way in hell. The balance of the kit isn't too far off from what I'd expect from a drum buss, it's just a little light on the kick/snare.
I wouldn't even bother with a kick track like that, I'd just program it. If all the tracks are like that then I'd program everything.

It might pay to post a link here for others to listen too it as well. (but don't use the site you used to send it to me, that thing installed so much ad-ware on my computer it wasn't funny. Use dropbox or something)

Oh man, I paid for those tracks :/ Are they pretty much unusable?
Thanks for checking it out though!

*Am uploading the files to dropbox now, will add them to the original post above!
Depends how much bleed there is - it's pretty much impossible to say, without hearing them, but as long as there is a large enough difference in level between the intended source, and the instruments bleeding in.

There's always bleed on natural drums, but you don't want so much that it causes phase problems or prevents you having any real control over the tone of each element of the kit - if that is the case, then there was pretty much no point in multi-miking in the first place, and could have just coped with stereo overheads.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Depends how much bleed there is - it's pretty much impossible to say, without hearing them, but as long as there is a large enough difference in level between the intended source, and the instruments bleeding in.

There's always bleed on natural drums, but you don't want so much that it causes phase problems or prevents you having any real control over the tone of each element of the kit - if that is the case, then there was pretty much no point in multi-miking in the first place, and could have just coped with stereo overheads.

Hey I've uploaded the files to a dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s51n9ywijr3sewx/N4HaHqiY4X). Is it ok if you quickly check them out?

I'm worried that I will not be able to get a professional finish - even with programming the kick and snare!
Well, I'm watching a film at the moment, but yeah - I'll certainly check them out in a bit
Had a listen, he's just sent you the wrong file. that's not a kick mic for sure!

Ask him to bounce it and send again.
Hey I just rang him up again - he had a look and agreed that it was a bit weird (they all sound the same!). But he said his recording setup was messed up and he'll rerecord them all for me properly :P phew!

I sent him 5 songs, and one of them is absolutely perfect with minimum bleed! So it should be ok! Thanks for your help though guys!!
For the hell of it, I inverted the polarity of the 'kick' mic, with all the tracks left in the centre and at 0dB on the fader, and solo'd the kick and one by one solo'd the others on and off, and when you get to the 'Floor Tom' mic it almost completely cancels out relative to the others' volume level (there is sound if you turn up your volume control drastically) so I would hazard a guess that he has perhaps recorded the floor tom track twice, once as the input for the kick, by mistake and then done a little minor processing on the two (EQ/HPF) which has changed the waveforms enough to allow some sound to still pass through.
Quote by ankthebank
Hey I just rang him up again - he had a look and agreed that it was a bit weird (they all sound the same!). But he said his recording setup was messed up and he'll rerecord them all for me properly :P phew!

I sent him 5 songs, and one of them is absolutely perfect with minimum bleed! So it should be ok! Thanks for your help though guys!!

Glad you got that sorted. These online drummer guys tend to take their work seriously and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Looks like he just had a channel set to the wrong input or something.