Yes... Pinch harmonics... I don't know why, but they are really hard to do for me, I rarely can play them correctly. I watched many vids on youtube, but I'm still playing shit. Help me, gimme some nice lessons about it. Any help will be appreciated.
I checked out the Justin Guitar youtube one and it seemed pretty understandable. (I'm on an ipad so can't seem to get the link, sorry.)

Carl
I personally think with pinch harmonics they're one of the very few techniques where the pin just never drops as they say. From my experiences you wont just suddenly get the hang of them one day and think well that wasn't so hard. Pinch harmonics take a lot of practice and A LOT of failed dead harmonics.
Quote by Tutis
Yes... Pinch harmonics... I don't know why, but they are really hard to do for me, I rarely can play them correctly. I watched many vids on youtube, but I'm still playing shit. Help me, gimme some nice lessons about it. Any help will be appreciated.

I take it that u can play them ocassionaly, is this on the same spot or do you do them on diffrent spots simultaniously while playing? How long/often do you practice them?

Pinch harmonics need ur mussle memory to become effective, so play the PH on the same spot while running licks, between practice ect... When u got it down on just 1 spot, try another one. When u repeat this a few times (takes quite some time) ull notice u can pick them up fast on any fret you chose - youre automatiacly (?) adapting ur pickhand till it pops out on new spots and usually will take like 2-3 tries.

In the end it has to be stomped down in ur memory... Just keep doing them!
It took me about a year to get them down, but now i can do them on a new guitar im not used to or even an accoustic
Quote by vayne92
I personally think with pinch harmonics they're one of the very few techniques where the pin just never drops as they say. From my experiences you wont just suddenly get the hang of them one day and think well that wasn't so hard. Pinch harmonics take a lot of practice and A LOT of failed dead harmonics.

i got my first pinch randomly then from their it was like wow....this is easy. i literally stopped practicing them after like a week or two of dead harmonic practice then maybe a month later i just tried one day and bang it happened. it was probably because of my guitar though i got it set up by a professional and new strings and such in between that time. i also changed picks and so if he has yet to get his guitar set up by a professional he ought to do that and try switching picks and moving where he hits the string. ive found the most successful spot on humbuckers would be behind the first pickup.Also when they say the string will "hit" your thumb they mean you will feel it. i didn't ever think i'd feel it so i never really got that until that day. also do it at like the 7th fret.
This is strangely one of the hardest techniques to teach. Especially when I'm sat there with a student with us both making noises like a cat screaming into a tin can.

Anyway, to make life easier, crank up the distortion, use a humbucker in the bridge position, hold your pick so theres not much of the tip showing - its the fleshy part of the thumb that makes the harmonic sound. I find it easier to produce pinch harmonics on the thicker strings. Go to the third fret on the A or D string and dig that pick in to the string. Your thumb should touch the string. As soon as you get it, take that pick and thumb OFF the string to allow the harmonic to ring. Then give it some vibrato to hear it wail!