Poll: Exaggerated accents are...
Poll Options
View poll results: Exaggerated accents are...
Racist
4 4%
Xenophobic
5 5%
Hilarious
89 91%
Voters: 98.
Page 1 of 2
What do you think? If you exaggerate an accent to poke fun at a group of people, does that count as racist, xenophobic, or neither?

I'm not sure whether it is or not. On one hand, accents and biology have zero correlation so that would suggest it's not racist. However, there are other things that aren't strictly related that are racist, like calling a black woman a welfare queen.
PM me for newts
Yeah, if I exaggerate a Texas accent it is clearly both racist and xenophobic.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This site seriously needs to stop revolving around race/racism.

In every other thread these days, there's someone being sarcastically racist, or calling someone else racist, or being a sarcastic prick while subversively calling someone racist, it's ridiculous. Everyone's so far up their own ass about their own benevolence and fair-mindedness.
My God, it's full of stars!
Yes, cause in my opinion everything is racist. Including you, this thread, and the rest of the pit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I don't think it's either racist or xenophobic. The latter implies that you're scared of foreigners whereas the former implies that you hold prejudicial views based on race. Since when is making fun of someone's accent a form of prejudice or irrational fear? However, is it annoying - yes, because most times, the actual accent sounds nothing like the imitation.

Holding a stereotypical view, however, is a form of ignorance but I don't think it's racist or xenophobic.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

As with anything that has to do with comedy, it all relies on the context.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by Jako215
You could have just posted that.

Tru enough
Quote by Dreadnought
Everyone's so far up their own ass

You need to take a good look at the man in the mirror.
Everyone on dis joint be a racist ta some extent no matter how tha fuck tolerant you be thinkin you may be.
Racizzle be a thugged-out disease dat needz ta be cured all up in proper ejaculation n' time.

http://www.gizoogle.net/textilizer.php

Quote by genghisgandhi

Mirrors are racist.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by genghisgandhi

lol oh u burn me so good. Or are you referring to Michael Jackson?

Quote by CodeMonk
Racizzle be a thugged-out disease dat needz ta be cured all up in proper ejaculation n' time.

legitimate lol
Quote by Dreadnought

In every other thread these days, there's someone being sarcastically racist, or calling someone else racist, or being a sarcastic prick while subversively calling someone racist, it's ridiculous. Everyone's so far up their own ass about their own benevolence and fair-mindedness.

also that privilege shit, it makes me puke even though most of you guys use it sarcastically
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Dreadnought

This.

OT Making fun of accents is hilarious but like Antis0cial said depends on the context. Like if you're doing it for jokes its funny but if you mean it in a I guess you call it racist manner then yeah.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dreadnought
lol oh u burn me so good. Or are you referring to Michael Jackson?

No I'm saying that you're far up your own ass. I am too but at least I can admit it.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
also that privilege shit, it makes me puke even though most of you guys use it sarcastically

Yeah, even the sarcastic stuff is really annoying. I really wish people would just stop mentioning both of these things all the time. It's like a constant contest of who can be more sarcastic while showing how superior they are.

EDIT: said "keep mentioning" when I meant "stop mentioning"
Last edited by Dreadnought at Aug 2, 2013,
Quote by genghisgandhi
No I'm saying that you're far up your own ass. I am too but at least I can admit it.

Yeah I know what you meant, I'm just ignoring you because your out-of-the-blue personal attack seems real petty right now, and kinda highlights my point.
Quote by Dreadnought

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah I know what you meant, I'm just ignoring you because your out-of-the-blue personal attack seems real petty right now, and kinda highlights my point.

I won't believe you until you show you're capable of actually ignoring someone.
Quote by Masquirina
I guess this is some kind of troll/joke thread, but foreign accents are hot and exaggerating them is definitely offensive. If you're not in some kind of theatrical/comedy role regional accents probably are too (boston, southern).

I mean "foreign" from a US perspective haha.

comeoooon, most typical asian accents are hilarious. not all accents were made equal!
Quote by archerygenious

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by genghisgandhi
I won't believe you until you show you're capable of actually ignoring someone.

Ignoring as in not taking you seriously/ignoring your seriousness.

And lol, are you seriously doing this right now? Did I offend you some time in the past, or something?
Exaggerated accents can be pretty prejudice and hurtful, yeah. I mean, there's never a time that someone puts on an exaggerated accent for something other than making fun of the people who really do (sometimes) talk that way.

Also, I would be happy if we talked about racism less on here but maybe i'd stop finding as many reasons to hate people on this site.
Quote by Mack56
Exaggerated accents can be pretty prejudice and hurtful, yeah. I mean, there's never a time that someone puts on an exaggerated accent for something other than making fun of the people who really do (sometimes) talk that way.

Also, I would be happy if we talked about racism less on here but maybe i'd stop finding as many reasons to hate people on this site.

But dude, wouldn't you WANT less reasons to hate people? Going through this site being angry, getting in arguments, or being sarcastic all of the time is tiresome and not a good way to be.

Not saying you're being that way btw, just making that point in general.
Quote by Dreadnought
But dude, wouldn't you WANT less reasons to hate people? Going through this site being angry, getting in arguments, or being sarcastic all of the time is tiresome and not a good way to be.

Not saying you're being that way btw, just making that point in general.

That's actually what i meant, but i mis-typed.
Quote by Mack56

Sometimes I feel like the only person on the internet that understands when to use 'prejudice' and 'prejudiced'.

Also, same with bias and biased.
PM me for newts
Not racist but usually offensive and annoying. Especially if you don't even have the accent in question
cat
Quote by Dirge Humani
What are you talking about, every time someone tries to do a "New Jersey" accent it is hilarious. Mostly because I do have that accent and it is always wrong.

I know like, one person from New Jersey who doesn't pretty much fit the stereotype haha. Everyone else has been all about it.

I feel like it's always okay to make fun of New Jerseyites, though
Quote by Dreadnought
I know like, one person from New Jersey who doesn't pretty much fit the stereotype haha. Everyone else has been all about it.

I feel like it's always okay to make fun of New Jerseyites, though

The "New Jersey accent" in the media comes from a pretty small area of Hudson county and southern Bergen and Passaic counties. Of course, these are in the north in the suburbs of New York city, so a ton of people live here. But everyone up here can tell the minute differences between accents of this area that I live, the area a bit northwest, and South Jersey.

And I won't object to making fun of it. But I will laugh at it because it will most likely be poorly done and wind up making fun of Staten Islanders more than people actually from New Jersey though.
Yeah, exaggerating an accent definitely means you're scared of foreigners.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by Masquirina
No, but this reminded me of how hilarious it is to hear adult americans making fun of foreign accents. "Haha people are struggling to learn this language they don't speak, I'm so reassured about how much of an obese childish douchebag I am in public."

1. you assume i'm american
2. who said anything about struggling?

accents are normal. i was just perplexed that you could find every foreign accent "hot."

my parents have chinese accents, by the way.
Quote by archerygenious

If you're going to call someone racist because they do a funny accent in one instance for comedy, you're way too uptight.

Sometimes they can be annoying but they really don't say much about the person doing it, especially if it's for comedy. It's not racist. It doesn't prove that the person genuinely believes other races of people are beneath him/her.

This stuff about claiming everyone is racist is getting ridiculous. I'm really getting annoyed of seeing people talk about what makes people racist as if they know exactly what that person's thought process is.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I think it could be. Rather rude actually.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Most of the people on here who talk about racism all the time aren't doing this because they're trying to help stop the problem of racism, they're just getting off on pointing out how someone is racist or sexist as an excuse to look down on someone while trying to shield themselves from criticism.

It's really evident in the "if you don't like me (or ___ user) then you're a closet racist and you can't accept the truth!!!" comments you see from those same users. They really just like exposing racism or sexism so they can use it as a bullying tactic while they dogpile in to harass other users while placing them on a moral high ground. They think it protects their position of being a douche while simultaneously tricking themselves into thinking they did a good deed.

In all honesty, if you devote a lot of time worrying whether or not what you or other people are doing is racist or not, you're probably a racist in denial.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Aug 2, 2013,
I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 2