Page 1 of 2
Inspired by some of the responses in Swan's thread, do you tend to think (whether on purpose or by knee-jerk reaction) that you're better than another person if you notice they have racist, sexist or homophobic tendencies?
Only in regards to like, social equality, individual liberties, fairness, etc. Not necessarily better as a person.

It factors into my subconscious evaluation of them in their entirety, though, of course.

For instance, if MLK Jr had, for instance, a tendency to being judgmental of the military, I wouldn't think I'm a better person than him because I think many of his other quality put him as a whole well above me.
My God, it's full of stars!
among other reasons, yes.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Morally, yes. I'd say so are most of the people who believe it's wrong too.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If if was just little remarks here and there, then no. I know some people who say some uncool shit every once in a while. I think they're kinda idiots about it but I don't feel above them or anything.

But if they were like a huge asshole about a lot of stuff, then yea, obviously.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
yeah.

i do distinguish between making unfunny racist/etc jokes and being willfully ignorant/blatantly bigoted though.

i'm still better than all of you anyway.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Generally yes. Because it makes them worse.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by WCPhils
If if was just little remarks here and there, then no. I know some people who say some uncool shit every once in a while. I think they're kinda idiots about it but I don't feel above them or anything.

But if they were like a huge asshole about a lot of stuff, then yea, obviously.

Pretty much this.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Not really, no, because then wouldn't I be just as bad as they are?

At point should hate become justified? I suppose a smug feeling of superiority isn't exactly hate, but with the occasional act here, or comment there, it could evolve quickly enough.
that's too vague a question. it doesn't make sense for me to declare myself better than someone else in general because it leads to the obvious question: better at what? the summation of our skills at every imaginable activity? nonsense. better at treating fellow humans with respect? sure, i guess. but no amount of sexist comments will make me better at swinging a hammer than another guy, if you know what i'm saying.

i don't prescribe to the concept of a moral high ground. i'm a secular person, so without a higher power telling us what's right and wrong, we all must at some point learn and decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong. you can use reason to guide this, but that isn't inherent. if i believe that my moral judgement is more reasonable than another's, i don't "take the moral high ground" i just explain myself.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Morally, yes. I'd say so are most of the people who believe it's wrong too.

Joshua Garcia > all.

Bow before our mighty lord.
ayy lmao
What do you mean "better"? You mean smarter? Morally superior?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by The Madcap
That you're better than another person if you notice they have racist, sexist or homophobic tendencies?

I feel like they're just children. Morally I feel they are not developed and using misinformed moral systems that are maladaptive/destructive. Moral or cultural relativism is bullshit and a weak argument; there are moral positions that are better than others.

I usually feel older in some sense, even if they are older by age. I feel like they are children, and I think "Oh you little dickens! If only you were mature/smart/developed enough to understand!". The way I look at a child, with all their shortcomings due to some incapacity, lack of development, and obvious immaturity.
Sometimes I feel better than other people for the hell of it.

You can call me smug sometimes.
STಠ_ಠ
It's not that I'm better than them. It's that they're worse than me.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by captainsnazz
Yeah, I do think I'm better than someone if they're an idiot.

This.
Nope. People are different. No one way of thinking is better than another. Some may be advantageous in certain situations while disadvantageous in others. This applies to racism as well.

Plus, I'd be interested in hearing why someone is racist, and you can't find that out if you're acting like a morally-superior cunt.
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by metal4eva_22
Plus, I'd be interested in hearing why someone is racist, and you can't find that out if you're acting like a morally-superior cunt.

I asked someone on PSN one time in a very calming manor. At first, he literally went up to me out of nowhere thinking I was black and told me I deserved to die and all that.

Then I asked and he told me it was because of their skin color, their hips, their eyes, their overall shape, and their culture.

Then after pointing out I was Hispanic, he proceeded to call me a beaner and ran up to other black people.

I'm aware this isn't the single answer every racist person has, but that's as close to an answer as I've ever gotten from a racist.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Aug 3, 2013,
No, i just lose maximum respect for them as a person and become somewhat un-hospitable towards them. I don't like to be around such shit.
Quote by DystoCreativity
Not really, no, because then wouldn't I be just as bad as they are?

At point should hate become justified? I suppose a smug feeling of superiority isn't exactly hate, but with the occasional act here, or comment there, it could evolve quickly enough.

'Injustice' is often defined as something that creates a victim, so racism, sexism and homophobic reactions would naturaly all be injustices because they create victims in people of different races, sexes and sexual orientation via discrimination against them.
Justice is something that is used to stand up to and right the wrongs of injustice.
So, it's wrong to hate justice but right to hate injustice, ergo, hate becomes justified when it's a hatred of injustice.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
'Injustice' is often defined as something that creates a victim, so racism, sexism and homophobic reactions would naturaly all be injustices because they create victims in people of different races, sexes and sexual orientation via discrimination against them.
Justice is something that is used to stand up to and right the wrongs of injustice.
So, it's wrong to hate justice but right to hate injustice, ergo, hate becomes justified when it's a hatred of injustice.

But by treating such a person as an inferior organism, wouldn't you be sinking to their level, and thus making them a victim of the same injustices that they commit? Granted, I'm sure "hating" someone for hating other people wouldn't result in actions nearly as rash as the actions of that original hatred. Hopefully.

I just choose to treat everyone like human beings - and since I'm cursed with paralyzing shyness, "human beings" in synonymous with "terrifying monsters" in most situations, though I'm pretty sure such comparisons have been made even by people who aren't in my rather unfortunate social position.
yes, I feel superior if I notice it because they acted on those tendencies (active discrimination/marginalization).

if it's something like where they tell me "I hate [group of people] for no reason they just suck etc" I would find it disgusting that they felt the need to tell me but I wouldn't necessarily feel superior to them because I occasionally have thoughts like that too, except I keep it to myself.
cat
All other things equal, yes. But that's rarely the case.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Absolutely because racists, sexists and homophobes are all idiots. Just look at Coreysmonster
Quote by Dreadnought

For instance, if MLK Jr had, for instance, a tendency to being judgmental of the military, I wouldn't think I'm a better person than him

Probably because being against the military would make him a better person than you.
Quote by Redsectoreh
I just think those people are dicks. I don't think I'm better than anybody.

As usual this dude knows what's up.
Quote by willT08
Absolutely because racists, sexists and homophobes are all idiots. Just look at Coreysmonster

Yeah, just look at CoreysMonster
Quote by Thrashtastic15
oh, he's german. that explains it

You must be confused, this isn't the hockey thread.
Quote by CoreysMonster
You must be confused, this isn't the hockey thread.

that was a bad nazi dig. & the only country i despise universally is sweden.
I only picked Ryan because he has somewhat of a reputation

In my chats with him in TC he seems pretty chill
I don't feel that I'm better, I am.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Page 1 of 2