Is it me to think that back in the days people would record something, then try to take out as much of unneeded 'stuff' (like noise, buzz, frequencies, saturation) as possible, and now we record something and then try to put as much of needed stuff as possible (like verb, frequencies, dirt, saturation, noise etc).

Who's with me on this?

also discuss other aspects of recording that have changed over time
Well, there was a time when people tried to make things sound as natural as possible and nowadays they try to make it sound as fake as possible.
Depends a lot if you're recording just one instrument or a whole band.
Natural as possible works for acoustic instruments and vocals played live, but for electronic and guitar stuff the way to make it sound natural would be to mix a live show perfectly, in a perfectly designed space, then record it with a stereo mic. Lot easier to do what we do, I see your point though.

I'm wanting to do some stereo mic recording myself, while moving around the room. Not sure if you've heard any, but it's just like your ears hear if you use headphones, in complete 3d.
Looks like you're at the beginning of your lo-fi phase. It's all to taste. If you want your recording to sound polished and clean, you polish it and clean it. If you want it to sound like dirt, you leave the dirt in. Or maybe I'm just not sure what the hell you're getting at.

Quote by DeathMetal616
Well, there was a time when people tried to make things sound as natural as possible and nowadays they try to make it sound as fake as possible.

Please, tell us all about how Attack Attack! "isn't real music". By all means.
Cavalcade. Just noting upon the fact that while back then the downsides of the analog gear or should I say the imperfections were considered unnecessary sometimes and were tried to be eliminated. Now things like that are added into the plugins to model the analog 'goodness'

I'm not trying to say something new or big here. just figured it w as worth starting a conversation like this here to just have fun with good people
Quote by DeathMetal616

This.

People foam at the mouth over 1176s and Pultecs....and then proceed to quantise, tune and sample-replace their mixes until they're devoid of personality,
Well, "now vs then" threads tend to turn sour quickly, as I'm sure you've noticed (only took one post this time).
There's no much to say, really. The human ear is used to certain types of "imperfections" in sound (verb, soft saturation), while others sound unpleasant (line noise, resonance). Analog recording has more of both than digital. Again:
Quote by Cavalcade
It's all to taste. If you want your recording to sound polished and clean, you polish it and clean it. If you want it to sound like dirt, you leave the dirt in.

And you there:
Quote by kyle62
This.

People foam at the mouth over 1176s and Pultecs....and then proceed to quantise, tune and sample-replace their mixes until they're devoid of personality,

I'd expect you to know better than to generalize like this.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Aug 3, 2013,
Isn't it really just a cycle? People just want their sound to stand out, and recording methods can play a big part in that. Every genre seems to cycle through different approaches, in my experiences.

There seems to be a lot of generalization in this thread, I think there and more exceptions than there are rules when it comes to a subjective art form like music.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Isn't it really just a cycle? People just want their sound to stand out, and recording methods can play a big part in that. Every genre seems to cycle through different approaches, in my experiences.

There seems to be a lot of generalization in this thread, I think there and more exceptions than there are rules when it comes to a subjective art form like music.

of course. as I noted earlier, this is not a really serious thread. Just more like a chatter thread about what you guys think has changed over time.

I kind of think that the hardware limits (not limiters) kind of really tailored the sound that we perceive as good. I mean do you think if there was no vinyls or analog stuff just as is and instead it was crystal clear equipment... Would we end up shoving in some saturation and analog goodness like we often do? Or would the crystal clear and why not sterile (like we call it now) sound stick to us as the standard?

Quote by Vendetta V

I kind of think that the hardware limits (not limiters) kind of really tailored the sound that we perceive as good. I mean do you think if there was no vinyls or analog stuff just as is and instead it was crystal clear equipment... Would we end up shoving in some saturation and analog goodness like we often do? Or would the crystal clear and why not sterile (like we call it now) sound stick to us as the standard?

Which does everyone prefer: a clear Joey Sturgis-style sound, or raw black metal? Obviously neither, because it's not a question of one or the other for everyone. Again, it's all to taste. We've even invented forms of distortion (bitcrusher, flanger, phaser) that don't mimic natural phenomena, and used them as effects because we liked how they sounded.
Quote by Cavalcade
Which does everyone prefer: a clear Joey Sturgis-style sound, or raw black metal? Obviously neither, because it's not a question of one or the other for everyone. Again, it's all to taste. We've even invented forms of distortion (bitcrusher, flanger, phaser) that don't mimic natural phenomena, and used them as effects because we liked how they sounded.

Dude. Joey Sturgis should do black metal.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals