I've been hearing a lot about people hooking 2+ amps to one cab and running them all simultaneously to get a certain tone (like Mark Morton using 2 Mesa heads.. one has mids scooped and the other has mids turned up), or just running 1 at a time and using each one for a certain channel/feature (one amp has a better clean and the other has a better lead.. etc). I love all 3 versions of the 5150 for different reasons. The III has a better clean than the other 2 in my opinion and the lead on the other 2 are crazy. I currently just have the II and plan on getting the III soon, and the 1 as soon as I can find one for sale in good condition. They're all going into a 4x12 Orange cab. What would I need to get to run my signal from my guitar to my pedals, to the amps, to my racks, back to the amps and then to the cab?

My signal as of right now goes..
Guitar to my Behringer pedal tuner, to my Boss NS-2, Boss NS-2 loops to my Maxon OD808 back into the NS-2. Boss NS-2 out to channel one of my ISP Decimator ProRack G, then ISP out to the front of my amp.

Then my effects loop goes..
Send to channel 2 of my ISP Decimator to channel 1 on my BBE Sonic Maximizer 362 to the effects return.

I just now figured out I can run my Decimator to the front and back of the amp. I always had the NS-2 in front and the Decimator in the loop. I just never took the NS-2 out of the chain after figuring this out. It'll eventually get taken out. I just spent $150 on it and can't see it being a paperweight. I guess I could use it on a practice amp or as a backup in case my ISP fails for some reason.

Anyway, this is sort of a project rather than a realistic setup. Unless I can make it work and I like it, then it'll be my gig rig. Until then, I'm just gonna use what I have now and get the 1 and the III for backups and just to have them.

I just want to know what piece(s) of equipment I need to run them all simultaneously or just one at a time into one cab. I'd like to have both options, if possible, to be able to tinker with it and do more with it. Might sound crazy, but I like to complicate things.

I posted a thread similar to this over a year ago in case someone catches it. Same question, just different goal.
At best you can only hook 2 heads to a single 4x12 cab. This can only be done if the cab has the option of being run in stereo. both amps will run through 2 speakers each. You can also get a ABY switch to switch between either amp or both.

You will need instrument cables to hook all your amps FX up

You can check the Radial Headbone VT this will alow you switch between 2 heads and 1 mono cab without ruining your amps. If you have a mono cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Morley now makes an ABC/Y box.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Morley-ABC-Selector-Combiner-Switch-150561-i1371987.gc

Short of that, You can use two amps in an AB/Y box into one input of the cab and the other in the other input.

Personally, if I wanted to do what you're wanting to accomplish, I would get two of the ABC/Y boxes; one before the amps and one after the amps.
OR
I would run the I and II into the the stereo cabinet and then buy a 2x12 and run the III into. That way you could run all three at the same time.
Awesome!
Quote by sheaaa
Morley now makes an ABC/Y box.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Morley-ABC-Selector-Combiner-Switch-150561-i1371987.gc

Short of that, You can use two amps in an AB/Y box into one input of the cab and the other in the other input.

Personally, if I wanted to do what you're wanting to accomplish, I would get two of the ABC/Y boxes; one before the amps and one after the amps.
OR
I would run the I and II into the the stereo cabinet and then buy a 2x12 and run the III into. That way you could run all three at the same time.

With a tube amp you must always have a load on the amp while it is running.

You do not put a AB box after an amps power section ever you will most deff ruin your gear. The radial tonebone VT pedal is the only pedal I can think of that you would hook the power section to. But the VT also creates a load for the amp not in use

I agree with the use 2 amps with a 4x12 and the 3rd with a seprate 2x12 cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What was I thinking... Oh, wait, I wasn't. It's too early.
Darn my grandmother for needing to stay with me and fixing breakfast at the crack of dawn.
Awesome!
I appreciate all the replies. I just may go with a 2x12 cab for the III. That would give me more flexibility to get a different kind of cab that sounds better with cleans.

But how would I go about running my rack gear through all 3? Or would I have to get rack for every amp?
If you use the effects loops, (Which I assume you do) It's going to be a nightmare sharing the boxes/racks with all three amps.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
That's what I was afraid of. I don't mind getting extra rack gear, but powering all of it and stage space is already a compromise with what I'm trying to do. I guess that's the price to pay when you want to run a complicated setup.
I've decided I'm just going to run the II and the III instead of adding the original. I may just go ahead and get it just to say I own all 3. But as far as running 3 amps, that's gonna be way too much space taken up on stage and a lot of hassle loading and unloading.
Jackson RR24 Pro
Washburn Nuno Bettencourt N2
Halo Hellfire V

Peavey 5150 II + matching cab

Samson PowerBritePro 7
ISP Decimator ProRackG
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362

Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Behringer TU300 Tuner
You can rewire the Orange cab to be stereo, if I recall the 412 has dual inputs on the back so you don't need to do a hack job on the outside.

As for using 2 amps and with effects loops, you're gonna ideally need stereo rack gear, so two mono units or one stereo unit, no easy way around it otherwise.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
There's a life saving device RJM makes where you can hook all your amps up and operate it with a MIDI pedal... I'm sure you can hook that all to the piece of gear and that then runs into a cab

I haven't done much research into it (I'm a full rack guy) but you might want to check it out since it seems you've got quite a signal chain there...
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
I'm just curious about why you want to run 2 amps in the first place?

In the first post, you said the clean is better on the III but the lead is better on the II. Do you want one clean amp and one dirty amp? If you're running a setup a clean and lead, I think you're better off using a head other than a 5150 for cleans. A clean combo might even be better since you can still use your 5150 with the full 4x12.

If you're running both at the same time, keep in mind that you can't have the volume at the same levels as you normally would with one amp. You're going to have to compensate for 2 amps. You might be able to get to the sweet spot with one amp but you might have to turn it down so much that it doesn't sound as good with 2 amps. You'll also be running your cab as a 2x12. It's one 5150 turned up through a 4x12 versus two 5150s turned down through two 2x12s. And I would assume they will blend in with each other since they're running through the same cab and they're very similar amps. Space is important to stereo rigs. That's both the physical space of both amps and the tonal space they occupy. You want to spread each amp out.

Most people who use stereo setups use two different amps because the combination creates something new. And a lot of it has to do with the mix. And then it completely relies on having a good soundguy who's willing to work with your intricate setup and actually do it right.