Welp, this is my first post here so please excuse me if this is the wrong section.

So I'll be ordering a mic soon (SM58 of course) for my band. As of right now we don't really have anything to put the mic through other than a guitar amp, which will work in the mean-time. So, we need a bit of a PA system or something, but the thing is we are on a REALLY tight budget. The cheaper the better.

Our current gear consists of a Fender Strat (I'm getting a Les Paul J (not jr.) soon), Fender Mustang 1, SM58 Mic, and 7-piece drum set.

The PA system will just be used for vocals. Mainly at very small "gigs". I was thinking a single 200w speaker would possibly be sufficient, like the Behringer EUROLIVE B208D Active PA Speaker System. (Can you not post links on this forum?)

Would do you guys think? Other setup suggestions?

P.S. Our band consists of only a drummer and a guitarist, for now. "Sorta" like the Black Keys. In fact, I am going to the same highschool they did.
Last edited by Guitarderp at Aug 3, 2013,
If you gig and have a drummer you really want 2 1x15 speakers (2x12" will work fine). 1 speaker will sound very thin in 99% of giging environments.

Where are you located?
What is your budget?
going used can get you great gear for little money these days. I am selling a set of EV 1x15 speaker cabs for $250obo on my local CL. The speakers retailed for $500 each when they were new (to give you an idea of the money you can save)

If you are getting the powered speaker to run a mic directly into it, you will have to get a pre amp or small mixer to run the mic into unless, the powered speaker has a preamp buit in for the inputs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Where are you located?
What is your budget?

If you are getting the powered speaker to run a mic directly into it, you will have to get a pre amp or small mixer to run the mic into unless, the powered speaker has a preamp buit in for the inputs

Ohio and my budget is probably under $600. I'm pretty sure the powered speaker I mentioned before has a preamp.

Also, I'm sort of new to the whole live sound scene. When you say 1x15 speakers, what does the 1x15 stand for?
1x15 means that it is a cab with a 15" speaker

Musicians Friend has a special on a pair of powered 1x15 speakers for $299 right now. They are GEM sound brand. I don't have any experience with them, but they should be just fine for what you need.

They will also leave you some money for a set of speaker stands and a small mixer if you need it with them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to all this ^^^. That could get you going.

You're gonna want at least 200w with a full band, especially if it's a cheaper pa. You'll also want at least 2 monitors, one for the singer, one for the band.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 3, 2013,
I just looked and those speakers seem to have a preamp so you would be fine. You will need a seprate long (50ft is what I suggest) XLR-XLR cable to connect the 2 speakers together.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I just looked and those speakers seem to have a preamp so you would be fine. You will need a seprate long (50ft is what I suggest) XLR-XLR cable to connect the 2 speakers together.

I take it just one speaker wouldn't cut it? Even for band practice and a VERY small backyard gig?
Quote by Guitarderp
I take it just one speaker wouldn't cut it? Even for band practice and a VERY small backyard gig?

It might, but why chance it? and at the price of that pair you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper way to get a fuller sound. $299 is dirt cheap. And they are 250 watts each

I have owned a GEM sound power amp and it worked just fine until I sold it.

I would never play with out at least 2 speakers for my PA and I've been doing it for 15 yrs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Guitarderp

It's a difference of being able to actually sing and having to yell. (to hear yourself)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
It might, but why chance it? and at the price of that pair you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper way to get a fuller sound. $299 is dirt cheap. And they are 250 watts each

I have owned a GEM sound power amp and it worked just fine until I sold it.

I would never play with out at least 2 speakers for my PA and I've been doing it for 15 yrs

I just looked at those GEM powered speakers and they look pretty nice for the price. So these would work for small outside gigs?Would it be a good idea to buy these used? I have no problem with used gear.

I guess I could convert these to monitor speakers when I get a better system down the line.
Quote by Guitarderp
I just looked at those GEM powered speakers and they look pretty nice for the price. So these would work for small outside gigs?Would it be a good idea to buy these used? I have no problem with used gear.

I guess I could convert these to monitor speakers when I get a better system down the line.

Because they are so cheap, I'd get them new (the $299 is for 2 speakers ).

Yes they will work for small outdoor gigs/partys Did you notice that it has a USB/SD capability which means bring your laptop for playing music through them when your not playing.Or you use the RCA/3.5mm inputs and run your Ipod in to them.

I agree you will be able to utilize them while upgrading your PA

But do spend the $50 or what ever the speaker stands cost so you can put them at head level. Your sound will be so much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Because they are so cheap, I'd get them new (the $299 is for 2 speakers ).

Yes they will work for small outdoor gigs/partys Did you notice that it has a USB/SD capability which means bring your laptop for playing music through them when your not playing.Or you use the RCA/3.5mm inputs and run your Ipod in to them.

I agree you will be able to utilize them while upgrading your PA

But do spend the $50 or what ever the speaker stands cost so you can put them at head level. Your sound will be so much better

Yeah, I saw the SD and USB ports. Cool.

Thanks man!
You want as much power as your budget will allow. If you've ever heard a band that was using a PA that was too weak, you'll know what I mean. Vocals either too quiet to keep up, or they have the thing maxed out, and it's clipping like hell or blowing speakers.

250W into a pair of 15's should be fine for vocals.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
i actually use a 200 phonic PA with two 1x10 wedges (i put them on stands). i mainly use it for vocals and keyboards in practice and small gig situations. it's adequate, but i would prefer bigger speakers to sell the low end a little better.

and ideal situation for me would be to have two power amps (~1000 to 2000 watts a piece) and run a set of 1x15 (on stands) or 2x15 cabs off one amp and run a bin or two off the other amp. i'd then use my 200 watt phonic pa for personal monitoring for the band, so the keyboards and vocals cab be heard.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae