Okay, so I have a very rudimentary understanding of chord construction, progression, etc. And I can kind of see how they are related to scales. However, through painstakingly browsing through lessons on this site I haven't found the answer to my question. I was wondering, how are you able to tell what chords/chord progression(s) are used for more specific, exotic scales. For example like the Hungarian minor. I know I can simply google what progression(s) to use, but I am yearning to know how to formulate it. Maybe a link or an explaination on how the notes in the scale correalate with certain chords and progressions. Everybody uses majors as an example but seeing just one example is like showing one example for a math lesson, you're eventually going to run into an equation that uses the same fundamental method, but with an added variable or two. Or maybe I'm just missing the bigger picture, either way I need clarity. Thanks a lot
While I'm no expert in the field, my experience has been that most other forms outside of western music uses very limited or no harmony & are based around using these exotic scales as nothing more than to generate melodic ideas & then adding percussion. Ergo, these scales don't generate harmonized progressions the way we use the major scale in western harmony.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Well for chord progressions and actual harmony, those scales have very limited use. Harmony is based around Major/Minor Tonality.

If your thinking of say a jazz idiom and scale/chord system that works a bit different but for exotic scales the application is still rather limited.

Basically, if you take a chord such as a D minor chord and add all the possible tensions that are commonly used over the chord you would have

D F A C E G B

which is also known as a Dmi13 chord.

Take those same notes and rearrange them sequentially and you have the D Dorian Scale

In this context, chords and scales are basically different ways of looking at the same thing. This is not Modal Harmony, and it isn't Tonal Harmony either, its a chord/scale relationship.

I would also stress that you could still play notes outside this scale over that chord, but these notes are considered 'stable' tensions, ones that you can linger on and not sound very dissonant.
Hope that helps.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Aug 3, 2013,
Feel free to wait til he answers, but I think he means all of the intervals between the notes; the D to the F, to the A, to the C, etc, as well as the F to the A, to the C, etc, and so on. That's every single note you could have in a D minor extended chord; if you understand how the triads fit together, then you'll know that the next note after B is D, so there are no more notes you could add into the chord, not counting octaves and such.

Again, though, that's just my thinking, you might wanna wait til British says his piece
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.