So I'm working on an original for my band right now, and I'm having some trouble trying to get a smooth liquidy sounding lead tone- my attempts sound either too glassy or too honky.

https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/and-4-2

The sweeps here are at 2:20, skip the rest since it isnt relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEX9RK3_Dvk

This is roughly the sort of tone I'm after, from 3:13.

What to do? I used a Mark IV model with a compressor and a TS, and Guitar Hax impulses. Also double tracked.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 3, 2013,
That I intend to do anyway, since the recording isnt as tight as I would like it to be.
But what I am asking about is the tone- what I am getting is either too glassy or too honky, not really sitting well in the mix at all.
Yours has more mud to it, is slower, and less high-end sheen. There's also a lot less going on in your mix, at that point, to contribute to the overall sound, and they have two guitars (probably more, if they double-tracked the leads) going whereas you just have the one.

Part of it is composition, part of it is performance, and part of it is tone.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Cavalcade
BOO mixes their leads with way more treble and presence than you have. If you're mid-focusing your leads, that's part of the problem. You'll want the low cut to be higher, too.

Adding treble adds a buttload of glassiness to it, I'm having to keep an LPF at 1300hz to get this tone

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yours has more mud to it, is slower, and less high-end sheen. There's also a lot less going on in your mix, at that point, to contribute to the overall sound, and they have two guitars (probably more, if they double-tracked the leads) going whereas you just have the one.

Part of it is composition, part of it is performance, and part of it is tone.

The lead is double tracked, so are the rhythms. Mud? Would adding an HPF to the lead work?

Quote by Poisonouspot
In my experience, turn the gain down alot will help it sound less muddy

Gonna give this a shot once I get to the re recording bit, but want to see exactly where the tone is going off first so as not to repeat the same mistake.
It feels like it's really lacking definition. I'd add a decent amount more upper mids, and maybe some more highs. The upper mids are really going to boost the pick attack. You might boost your lower mids some more and cut back on the bass some as well.

With my Mark IV I can't remember where I had the knobs but I had the GEQ set to a w shape. And a moderate w not a W haha.

Back off of the compressor some. Sweeps really need pick attack to stand out. Check up on the muting/picking/synchronization between your hands a little bit.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio