First post.

(Quick history)
I am a bass player of 14(ish) years. I have been in a number of different bands, recorded one album. On this album I played (and wrote) all electric guitar and bass parts. Someone else took over all acoustic duties. My main musical influences over the past many years have been metal bands. Fast playing, distorted tones have almost exclusively been on my list...

Enough about that.

The last few months I have discovered finger style acoustic playing. People like Mike Dawes, Andy McKee... Don Ross etc. I have been completely blown away at the sound. And I want to learn. This genre of (instrumental) music has taken over my song lists with force. I can't get enough of it. My old (metal) staple has basically taken a back seat... and the weird thing is I am ok with it (for the most part.)

I want to learn how to play the acoustic properly, and try to learn finger style as well as two handed tapping. I don't care how long it takes. I need to buy an acoustic, and am a little lost. I know quite a bit about the electric side of things but not much at all on the construction of the acoustic.

I have sold my electric.
I will have at most $800 (CDN) to spend.

I have been looking at (and trying) a few different brands. One of them is Seagull. Being a bass player I like the 1.8 inch nut size. Another is Ovation, odd instrument but sounds nice plugged in. Also a few others but so far I like the Seagull so far the best.

I like a cutaway.

Also I plan on running a couple basic effects with it (I have no idea if this matters due to what kind of pickup it has installed.) I have a couple MXR's, a delay and a chorus.

If I could get some feedback on what to look for. Different bands to look at...
I'm not interested in a laminated guitar. I want it to age properly.
There isn't a huge selection to try where I am. As of yesterday we just got Breedlove in my city but I haven't tried them.

Thanks for taking the time.

-Jesse
$800 canadian, huh? and you want a cutaway and electronics in an all solid guitar? you may have to go used to pull that off. if you want to play proper fingerstyle, i highly suggest a wider nut, and that's going to leave a lot of guitars in your price range out.

seagull is your best bet as not only are they good guitar, but even here in the states they are a great value, and i hear you get them a little cheaper in canada. the catch is that while the performer series has cutaway and electronics, i think they're not all solid, and while the original and original with electronics are great sounding and in your price range, they're not all solid and don't have a cutaway. this one
http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_maritime_sws_cremebrulee.html
is all solid with cutaway and electronics, but not sure if you can find it for your price. i don't see the nut width listed anywhere. the seagull artist series has what you want, but at least here they're over your price range.

there are a few guild GAD series acoustic electrics that come in at your price point here, but whether you can find them there for that price, i don't know. some of the smaller models have 1 3/4" nuts, and i can tell you that the guild GAD guitars are probably the best quality guitars i've seen come out of asia, with great quality control, good finishes and they come with a hardshell case. the ones i've played sound good and feel good. the only reason i sold mine was the slender, 1 11/16" nut.

you might find a used larrivee with all those features at your price point.

the entire solid guitars aging thing is fairly controversial. buy a guitar you like the tone of NOW, and it won't get worse over time.

btw, you may have a couple week adjustment to playing a wider nut, but i'd suggest a minimum of 1 3/4" nut - i play mostly fingerstyle, so prefer a nut from 1 3/4" up to 1 7/8", and i also really like 1 13/16".
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks for the response. The specs on a lot of Seagulls are a 1.8 inch nut according to the website. Is there anything wrong with laminated sides? This is on the bottom of the specs page...

"All Seagull guitars have a 24.84" scale length, Indian Rosewood Fingerboard & Bridge, 16" fingerboard radius, 14:1 ratio tuning machines. Tusq® nuts & saddles by Graphtech. * Sides made with a three-layer lamination of hardwood - never pressboard."

So is a 3 ply going to stand the test of time? I want a guitar that will serve me well for the next ten years. I like the look and sound of the "Performer" line.
all seagulls no longer have the 24.84" scale i like, according to the rep who emailed me that info. my favorite seagull is the original S6, but the performer series has some sweet axes. have you gotten to try any in person?

even cheap, terrible guitars last for years and years, so if you keep your guitar humidified properly, there's a good chance it could be around longer than you will.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yea I tried the performer dreadnaught cutaway model. Plays very nice. And it is $715 in store I believe. I am considering this one very much right now.
Quote by patticake
this one
http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_maritime_sws_cremebrulee.html
is all solid with cutaway and electronics, but not sure if you can find it for your price. i don't see the nut width listed anywhere. the seagull artist series has what you want, but at least here they're over your price range.
Seagull does have this spec page for their entire product line, nut widths included: http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.html

Of course I don't know if it's fully up to date, since you mention scale lengths being changed.
jessesixstring, sounds good. you can't beat that price for a north american made guitar with the features, specs and sound quality seagull gives.

Captain, i know the seagull specs page well - when i type sea in my location bar, it comes up with that page ;-)

i heard about seagull slowly dropping their likeable 24.84" scale on agf last year and emailed them about it. i heard back from michel, client support for godin guitars (the parent brand of seagull), with this reply:

"Yes, we're currently phasing in 25.5" scale guitars. The longer scale will be on all dreadnaught and mini jumbo size guitars."

but so far people are still finding the shorter scale on some dreads. i think it's a shame myself, but lots of people are fine with 25.5".

Quote by Captaincranky
Seagull does have this spec page for their entire product line, nut widths included: http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.html

Of course I don't know if it's fully up to date, since you mention scale lengths being changed.
Quote by Skeet UK
One last question. I'm 95% sold on the Seagull performer line. They play great, sound great and I like thelooks... It's a toss up between the dread and the folk cutaway. I like both for different reasons. The folkI find fits real nice on me. It's weird because it's smaller and I'm a big guy. Also I hear that the smaller body works good for finger style... Any particular reasons?

Thanks for the help guys!
It's mostly a question of bottom end. Boomy in a dreadnought, more detailed and less prominent in the folk. That can be rectified with EQ when plugged in.

If you are the type of player that uses a capo from time to time, the cutaway can be quite useful..

While the thickness of the body limits a cutaway's utility somewhat on an acoustic guitar, it still helps when dealing with 8va antics at the 12th fret.

Many people find a guitar with a pinched waist more comfortable than a dread, even in the larger jumbo body sizes. Best advice, buy the one you're comfortable playing, and tailor the sound electronically.

They don't make a cutaway dreadnought you like?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 5, 2013,
i prefer the sound of the dread, but the folk looks great. i played all sizes of guitars for fingerstyle, and until i hurt my shoulder, which was partly due to playing a dread i had to extend my shoulder to reach over, i preferred the sound of a bigger guitar. now, due to the shoulder, i have to play smaller guitars, and i've learned to really appreciate them, but i haven't found any reason to believe they're any better for fingerstyle, although also no worse.

any reason you're not interested in the mini jumbo? i haven't played one in this series, but i do like the seagull mini jumbos in general. and along with the Captain, i find jumbos more comfortable than dreads every time.

btw, my husband is 6' 7" and he plays just about every size of guitar, from my guitalele up to a jumbo, and one of his current go-to guitar is a 000. when i met him, he was playing mostly electric, and his les paul, which isn't very big, looked good on him.
Quote by Skeet UK
Yes they do have a dread that I like there. But I also like the folk. Unfortunately they don't have a mini jumbo in stock where I live. I am going to take a couple weeks or so to decide for sure what one I will buy. It's definitely a Seagull though. I don't want to rush and buy something I might change my mind on later. This is alot of money for me to spend since I am the only income in my family. My wife stays home with our three small kid l kids. I need be sure. I'm very anxious to start playing a new kind of music.
not rushing is always a good idea, but the bottom line is if you like the folk - and many do - it's a well made, gorgeous guitar with a good nut width for fingerstyle (although i also did plenty of strumming on my seagull with no problem), and a more convenient size for carrying around. the smaller body is easier on the arm that reaches over the guitar, and if you may ever end up mic-ed or played live, a slightly smaller guitar can be an advantage there, too.
Quote by Skeet UK