Ok so i've been doing some research in how to get the best tone i can out of my current setup (Roland 20XL and a Tokai SG)

One thing i've noticed is that my 6th and 5th strings seems to be a bit "overpowering" when playing in both clean and 'dirty', now to me this means that the pickups are too close, but i have no idea whether this is true or not, i don't have the spare cash to get to take it in for a set-up

How to do i know whether the pickup heights need adjusting is there anything i can do with will give me a definitive result, or is it just a gut feeling

Note i'm no master at guitar so anything that requires a keen ear isn't useful for me, i can't even tune by ear yet, i know when it's out of tune, but i can't tune by ear for shit
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Aug 3, 2013,
Just try lowering it. It doesn't hurt anything. Is this true on both pickups?
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
Just try lowering it. It doesn't hurt anything. Is this true on both pickups?

tbh i havne't really checked on both pickups, it's normally on the bridge pickup (or the pickup active on the treble setting)
I just started experimenting with different heights and found the height I liked. My pickups are now unbalanced but it doesn't matter - my neck pickup is a lot further away from the strings than my bridge pickup. And that's because I noticed that it gives me a smoother tone. The tone was a bit harsh when the neck pickup was too close to the strings. It also caused some clipping when I recorded through my RP355 pedal - my clean tone got distorted if I picked too hard (and I didn't like it). Adjusting the pickup height can do no harm, you can always "undo" your adjustments.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 3, 2013,
^ The GFS Fat Pats I have in my Iceman couldn't be balanced just using pickup height adjustments and I had to add a resistor to one of them. I don't know how you can live with unbalanced pups - do you gig?

Edit. The Iceman isn't even one of my gigging guitars and I still couldn't abide by it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
^ The GFS Fat Pats I have in my Iceman couldn't be balanced just using pickup height adjustments and I had to add a resistor to one of them. I don't know how you can live with unbalanced pups - do you gig?

Edit. The Iceman isn't even one of my gigging guitars and I still couldn't abide by it.

Not at the moment. But unbalanced pickups don't matter that much to me. When I switch to the neck pickup the output is lower. So what? It has pretty much the same effect as if you turned down your guitar volume knob a bit (though it sounds a bit different). I use different pickups for different kind of sounds and I like using my neck pickup for lower gain tones.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
if the 5th and 6th strings are too loud then raise the pickups slightly at the treble side. you don't need to take it in for a setup, all you need is a small screwdriver (and it's reversible).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if the 5th and 6th strings are too loud then raise the pickups slightly at the treble side. you don't need to take it in for a setup, all you need is a small screwdriver (and it's reversible).

would lowering the bass side give the same effect?
yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also don't have a ruler which is accurate enough to measure the distance, is that ok?
just do it by ear, really. as long as it's not way too close or way too far away from the strings it'll be fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?