Page 1 of 2
If you were in a nightmarish situation in which you felt 100% that the only way out was to kill yourself, would you do it?

Of course it depends on the situation. Torture could be one, but there are an almost infinite number of situations which could be dubbed 'nightmarish'. Many people killed themselves at the beginning of the great depression simply because their life savings had vanished. I'm sure many people will say they would never do it, but I think everyone has a breaking point, whether its actually doing the deed themselves or allowing someone else to do the deed for them, eg. euthanasia.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Every movie I see where the grizzled old veteran soldier/lawyer/cop/businessman/Harrison Ford is framed for a crime he didn't commit, I always think: "Yup, I'd definitely just kill myself."
Nightmares only last so long before you either wake up, or the dream gets better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Nightmares only last so long before you either wake up, or the dream gets better.

That sounds like optimistic bullshit. Not everything gets better.
I'd do it if I had cancer with an extremely low survival rate, or a quality of life that was not tolerable (like Alzheimer's onset) or huntington's disease, or really any severe neurodegenerative diseases.

I think I'd use heroin overdose as the method.

I'd also almost certainly do it if I had something like Cotard delusion, in which one has delusions of rotting, or psychotic depression, where you can hallucinate the smells of dead bodies and rotting and have persecutory delusions.

The mind can really torture itself
Last edited by TooktheAtrain at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
That sounds like optimistic bullshit. Not everything gets better.

When we're being as vague as "It's a nightmarish situation where killing yourself is the only way out" to frame the question, I'm allowed to be vague and naively optimistic in my answer.

Quote by TooktheAtrain
I'd do it if I had cancer with an extremely low survival rate, or a quality of life that was not tolerable (like Alzheimer's onset) or huntington's disease, or really any severe neurodegenerative diseases.

I think I'd use heroin overdose as the method.

floating off into a world of bliss.

I'd probably ingest about a half gram of LSD and then OD on heroin so that it would feel like an eternity of bliss.
Quote by necrosis1193
When we're being as vague as "It's a nightmarish situation where killing yourself is the only way out" to frame the question, I'm allowed to be vague and naively optimistic in my answer.

That would be like if someone asked about the gravitational constant on earth and you told them the gravitational constant on mars.
Quote by progdude93
That would be like if someone asked about the gravitational constant on earth and you told them the gravitational constant on mars.

That is one of the dumbest analogies I have ever heard on this site. And that's saying something given the stupid shit I come up with.

Quote by angusfan16
Coheed's alright, yeah.

Quote by necrosis1193
That is one of the dumbest analogies I have ever heard on this site. And that's saying something given the stupid shit I come up with.

Then you know nothing, Jon Snow. He was asking about a nightmarish situation and specifically stipulated that it wouldn't get better. You answered about a nightmarish situation and said it would get better. Hence, discussing different worlds.
Quote by necrosis1193

Were assuming that you believe that this nightmare will continue until you off yourself.
Quote by progdude93
Then you know nothing, Jon Snow. He was asking about a nightmarish situation and specifically stipulated that it wouldn't get better. You answered about a nightmarish situation and said it would get better. Hence, discussing different worlds.

Well, to be pedantic the OP said "felt 100% sure", so the judgment is subjective. There are psychological conditions in which perceptions are skewed, and there's state dependent memory and all that, so we can't really count on the subjective experience being totally valid.

I guess it could be reformulated as "in the most unbearable pain (un)imaginable, would you kill yourself?"

Will agree that nercosis's post was gratingly optimistic though.
Quote by progdude93

Wrong.

Quote by c3powil
If you were in a nightmarish situation in which you felt 100% that the only way out was to kill yourself, would you do it?

His words specifically were that you believe absolutely that it won't get better, not that it won't get better. Do you believe it won't? Absolutely. But there aren't many things that the world's manage to bang through my thick skull, and one of them is that just because I empathically, irrevocably believe something doesn't mean it's absolutely, completely true. Things I have believed to be completely correct and absolute have been proven flat-out wrong and absolutely untrue right before my eyes.

I've been wrong before, and I'd rather hold out hope and see if I am again than assume I'm not and take action in a way I can't reverse it if I'm wrong, even if that means tolerating a living hell.

Quote by c3powil
Were assuming that you believe that this nightmare will continue until you off yourself.

Still can't say. I'm the kind of person who wants to cling to life like a parasite, on life support, on breathers, on whatever, so just "It's a nightmare" isn't enough for me to make a decision like that.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 3, 2013,
You're right; I misread OP.

I still think what you said about everything getting better is bullshit. Some things don't change, and some things won't get better.
Quote by progdude93
You're right; I misread OP.

I still think what you said about everything getting better is bullshit. Some things don't change, and some things won't get better.

Things that have a good ring to them usually are.

Quote by progdude93
Every movie I see where the grizzled old veteran soldier/lawyer/cop/businessman/Harrison Ford is framed for a crime he didn't commit, I always think: "Yup, I'd definitely just kill myself."

Remember that movie with Will Smith where a rogue group of government techies frame him for murder?

Yeah I'd off myself if I had to sit through that nightmare again.
Quote by tukk04
Remember that movie with Will Smith where a rogue group of government techies frame him for murder?

I love Enemy of the State (I think that's what you're thinking of)
Quote by progdude93
I love Enemy of the State (I think that's what you're thinking of)

That's the one!

I kinda like that movie, it just fit the joke well
I'm 21 and I've been a sad cunt with no aspirations and no motivation and no self-esteem for as long as I can remember, but I can't think of anything I could encounter in the future that would make me kill myself.

I wouldn't say suicide is at all common among healthy people trying to escape from stressful situations. Mental illness is what causes most suicides and attempts. Healthy people try to fight through whatever is thrown at them.

Of course, extreme stress is, and can cause mental illness. If there was an extended looming threat that you tried and failed to fight your way out of, you could definitely break.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by tukk04

Why do people with guns use them for the most stupid thing? It's like when a bad guy gives you a gun and forces you to kill someone. Why not just kill the bad guy?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Why do people with guns use them for the most stupid thing? It's like when a bad guy gives you a gun and forces you to kill someone. Why not just kill the bad guy?

That doesn't happen in real life.
death is never the answer. nothing stays bad forever.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by RocksAwakening5

Tell that to the millions of Jews who died in the holocaust or the victims of that thing in japan/china everyone's been ranting about.
Quote by c3powil
Tell that to the millions of Jews who died in the holocaust or the victims of that thing in japan/china everyone's been ranting about.

The Holocaust ended, as did their suffering during it.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by RocksAwakening5

Tell that to someone with some degenerative brain disease, when they gradually lose each element of their cognition. Tell that to my cousin, who has a brain tumor and had multiple operations that were not successful. He has maybe 4 months left to life, and each day is lived in fear. He will not enjoy his 11th birthday for the fear that it may be his last.

It is wrong, morally and factually, to assert that "things always get better". It may help you cope, but realise you are denying the justified fear, anguish and pain of others who will know nothing better, and will certainly never feel it. You are stating that people's unrelenting, permanent and worsening suffering is invalid, wrong, or irrational.

The compassionate path is for us to acknowledge that for some, it never gets better. It may get progressively worse. This way, we afford them the dignity of being believed, that their descriptions of their reality are valid, and that they are not lying about what it is like to be themselves.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
The Holocaust ended, as did their suffering during it.

So if you were there being tortured/starved and knew you weren't going to make it out alive you would sit there and suffer through it?
Quote by c3powil
So if you were there being tortured/starved and knew you weren't going to make it out alive you would sit there and suffer through it?

The human will to survive is quite strong. A majority of the Jews chose to "sit there and suffer through it," and for some of them the nightmare did eventually end.

As for myself, I cannot know for sure how I would react to being tortured, although I have starved before, and I think that I would stick it out just like I have done in the past.

Of course, I don't believe in a situation that is 100% certain. There is always room for deviation.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
If I were to experience unbearable unpleasantness for the rest of my life, death being the only way out, and I was somehow 100% sure this was the case? I can't imagine any scenario like that but I'd probably kill myself.
Reminds me of Budd Dwyer. The thing is, he killed himself and was able to turn that into a bit of a warped positive, in that he was able to secure his family's financial struggles from the situation he had been put in.

I wouldn't kill myself though.
Page 1 of 2