Can you use an acoustic electric instead of a solid-body electric guitar and it be about the same thing as a hollowbody electric? I was wondering because I really like playing my acoustic-electric over my electric here recently and wasn't too too sure if I could crank it up and it still sound good. I know I'd have to get a rubber sound hole thingy so it doesn't feed back as bad.
Just crank it up and find out yourself. I don't think it would sound too good though.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I can't right now since it's late and just figured I'd save my ears if it wouldn't work
Electric Acoustic guitars are designed for softer playing and won't compare to something purpose-built for high gain stuff. You could try it but I don't think it would work.

Or you could wait for the experts to post. I'm just bored so I'm trying to help the best my novice self can.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I'll try it out tomorrow sometime, I figured it would work pretty good as long as it's not super high gain stuff.

I have no idea, I'm bored too
Depends on what you're playing first off. There was a local band around here that played some 60s/70s rock/folk songs on acoustic electrics w/light distortion. It sounded decent. I wouldn't try something like 80s/modern metal on it, which leads to my next point:

The problem I think you'll run into is the strings not being of the same material (generally acoustic strings are bronze-coated for resonance while electric are nickel-coated for it's higher magnetic properties) which is going to cause reduced response to bends as well as a 'tinny' sound.
I tried plugging my acoustic electric into one of my old regular guitar amps years ago and even on a completely clean setting all I really got was feedback and a very unpleasant sounding tone. Did not sound anything like a hollow-body electric.

Though I've never tried one, I'm sure it works much better with an acoustic amp.