ive had the same, cheap guitar for several years. i just want to know what exactly is better about the more high end, expensive guitars. like, do they produce better quality sound?? also, some suggestions to moderately priced guitars would be nice
Usually..
-The pickups will have better range and be less susceptible to muddiness.
-Better quality electrical components and wiring.
-Better quality woods and craftsmanship.
-Better quality craftsmanship and woods on necks, making them less prone to warping.
-Better quality hardware such as the pegs and bridge, meaning your guitar will stay in tune better.
-Better sustain and action as a result of all the extra craftsmanship and hardware.

Would be the biggest points.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 4, 2013,
Usually wood, sometimes craftsmanship, sometimes tuning pegs. Pretty much anything you'd upgrade on a guitar you want to upgrade comes better on a better guitar.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
a gibson logo
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
my first guitar was a cheap (~£100) schecter and i thought it was great at the time, then i upgraded to a reverend ($999) which had a set neck (as opposed to the schecter's bolt-on), better, lighter wood and better pickups which all contribute to a greater quality tone through better sustain and more highly resonant body and of course the better pickups giving the nicer tone

but still i think one of the most important factors in buying a guitar is the comfort and playability which is at least as important as how the guitar sounds
Quote by bass_man_dan
but still i think one of the most important factors in buying a guitar is the comfort and playability which is at least as important as how the guitar sounds

How it plays can be a huge part of how it sounds.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
a gibson logo

lol true story

Quote by carpincowboy
Check out the Prs Se line for quality at a good price.

I just bought a PRS SE Custom 24 and replaced the tuners with grover 406c and BK pickups, great guitar though for the price
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
Last edited by PantallicaFreak at Aug 4, 2013,
This conversation is remaining surprisingly civil, I'm proud of you guys. I'd like to point out that you can buy a cheapy that you like the playability and give it the same hardware as an expensive guitar, and granted the body and neck are well made and joined it'll be practically the same thing just without fancy badging and you don't have to stick with a neck profile of an upper price bracket guitar and you can save some money.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Aug 4, 2013,
Check this website out and goto electric guitars. Scroll though until you see Agile guitars,
great guitars if your looking for a cheap upgrade. I have an Agile 8 string and it plays like a champ.

www.rondomusic.com

Quote by Viban
This conversation is remaining surprisingly civil, I'm proud of you guys. I'd like to point out that you can buy a cheapy that you like the playability and give it the same hardware as an expensive guitar, and granted the body and neck are well made and joined it'll be practically the same thing just without fancy badging and you don't have to stick with a neck profile of an upper price bracket guitar and you can save some money.

Thats all I do since I love to customize my guitars and deck them out with anything i can replace haha, I just find one in the mid range price that plays well. Thats why I like Agile from rondomusic because they play really well for how cheap they are. But the majority of the time my pickups cost half of what the guitar cost lol since I'm hooked on Bare Knuckles.
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
Last edited by PantallicaFreak at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by PantallicaFreak
Check this website out and goto electric guitars. Scroll though until you see Agile guitars,
great guitars if your looking for a cheap upgrade. I have an Agile 8 string and it plays like a champ.

www.rondomusic.com

Thats all I do since I love to customize my guitars and deck them out with anything i can replace haha, I just find one in the mid range price that plays well. Thats why I like Agile from rondomusic because they play really well for how cheap they are. But the majority of the time my pickups cost half of what the guitar cost lol since I'm hooked on Bare Knuckles.

I'll second this guy.

Agile guitars are on-par with lower end Les Pauls (actually, they beat the f*ck out of the LPj), an AL-3000 is the best value under 500 bucks.
My experience is there is a reason why a guitar is cheap, I had a low end Dean lp guitar brought to me and it was just not right, truss rod was hard to adjust to start, sharp fret ends, neck pocket angle was off and gave the guitar fat action on high end. The nut was not centred and the frets were not even on the fret board all in all bit of a nightmare,
Quote by jacobparkhurst
a low end Dean

That right there is your problem, many people aren't satisfied with the quality on nicer deans either.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
But it's not to say all cheap guitars are bad I think it's just luck of The draw, no guitar is the same i have a squire showmaster just a simple 1 and it plays really nice and sounds alright with stock electronics. But I would always recommended buy a older guitar that's value has dropped and take it to a friend who can look over it, like a old Ibanez, I brought a fender heartfield Japanese guitar for £100 and it's really good