Hey guys I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR and I love it to death. About one year ago I heard of Messhugah who plays an 8 string. I've wanted one ever since then. I know of the Schecter Omen 8 only for $400. But it has a 26.5" scale and I want a little smaller. The price is good though. So if anyone knows of another 8 string guitar for around the same price with a slightly smaller scale, could you recommend it? I'll check it out for myself. Thanks!
Meshuggah plays huge guitars (IIRC they have a 30" guitar lying around), so if you're trying to replicate their tone or downtune (I'm not sure if they downtune), you're going to need at least 27", preferably something larger. A 27" would be the Ibanez RG8, which is in the same price range.

If you're dead set on a smaller one, ESP's budget brand (basically the Epiphone of Fender) has an LTD H-208 that is 25.5". Both the Omen-8 and the H-208 have a little problem reaching the higher frets though. The RG8's cutaway is bigger.

These are the only 3 guitars that I know of that are in this price range.
Last edited by triface at Aug 4, 2013,
8 string that are less than 27" scale tend to have flubby F strings imo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by triface
Meshuggah plays huge guitars (IIRC they have a 30" guitar lying around), so if you're trying to replicate their tone or downtune (I'm not sure if they downtune), you're going to need at least 27", preferably something larger. A 27" would be the Ibanez RG8, which is in the same price range.

If you're dead set on a smaller one, ESP's budget brand (basically the Epiphone of Fender) has an LTD H-208 that is 25.5". Both the Omen-8 and the H-208 have a little problem reaching the higher frets though. The RG8's cutaway is bigger.

These are the only 3 guitars that I know of that are in this price range.

Are you familiar with Schecter? Would the Omen 8 with a 26.5" scale be fine? My biggest concern with a new guitar though is that it doesn't have a tremolo. Because I hate spending 30 mins+ to down tune my C-7 FR.
Quote by dark Mass
8 string that are less than 27" scale tend to have flubby F strings imo.

It's amazing how I haven't seen a guitar with a scale larger than 26.5.
Quote by byates16

The Ibanez RG8 is around $400 and that's 27" scale.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
The Ibanez RG8 is around $400 and that's 27" scale.

Is it good quality? I've seen a couple cheap Ibanez guitars in Guitar Center that kinda sucked. I hear even Schecter's low end guitars are really worth it.
Quote by byates16
Is it good quality? I've seen a couple cheap Ibanez guitars in Guitar Center that kinda sucked. I hear even Schecter's low end guitars are really worth it.

They're not bad for what you pay for them.
Quote by byates16

27" does tend to be a little rare in this price range. Agile has a bunch of 27", but they're slightly pricier.

I just want to establish first off that I don't own actually own an 8-string (yet ), but I've been GAS-ing for one for a few months now, and I've done a lot of research, so I generally know what I'm talking about, but you want to read what I say with a pinch of salt.

I have not had the chance to try an Omen-8 before, but there are complaints regarding the heel being an impediment to fret access. The H-208 also has a similar problem. It doesn't seem that big a problem, though.

I have tried an LTD 25.5" 8-string (not the H-208), and honestly I didn't feel the string to be that flubby, but that's because I've already been used to a pretty loose E string on my 6-string and I'm really pretty lax with my tone.

I guess whether the smaller scales are suitable for you depends on what you want out of the guitar. If you're specifically going for a djenty tone and super-tight response, generally a larger scale seems more appropriate, but you can definitely get away with bigger strings. Physically, 0.68 to 0.74 on the F# seems to be the limit that most guitars can take without having to drill through the hole or unwind a part of the string you're trying to string the guitar with.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with a bigger scale length, but if a 25.5" tickles your fancy, why not?

Quote by byates16

I think it's really a matter of finding one that is well-built. I have heard both sides of the story regarding Schecter's and LTD's 8-strings.
Quote by triface
27" does tend to be a little rare in this price range. Agile has a bunch of 27", but they're slightly pricier.

I just want to establish first off that I don't own actually own an 8-string (yet ), but I've been GAS-ing for one for a few months now, and I've done a lot of research, so I generally know what I'm talking about, but you want to read what I say with a pinch of salt.

I have not had the chance to try an Omen-8 before, but there are complaints regarding the heel being an impediment to fret access. The H-208 also has a similar problem. It doesn't seem that big a problem, though.

I have tried an LTD 25.5" 8-string (not the H-208), and honestly I didn't feel the string to be that flubby, but that's because I've already been used to a pretty loose E string on my 6-string and I'm really pretty lax with my tone.

I guess whether the smaller scales are suitable for you depends on what you want out of the guitar. If you're specifically going for a djenty tone and super-tight response, generally a larger scale seems more appropriate, but you can definitely get away with bigger strings. Physically, 0.68 to 0.74 on the F# seems to be the limit that most guitars can take without having to drill through the hole or unwind a part of the string you're trying to string the guitar with.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with a bigger scale length, but if a 25.5" tickles your fancy, why not?

I think it's really a matter of finding one that is well-built. I have heard both sides of the story regarding Schecter's and LTD's 8-strings.

Yes, owning a Schecter 7 string, the heel is a problem for access. Even though mine is a neck through. But most guitars are pretty limiting around the 20s, even the Les Paul at my house with only 22 frets. I haven't done too much research on 8 strings but when I did look around a bit, I had trouble finding some that were either cheap or really good. I wouldn't take the cheap route if I had another $1000 to drop on a guitar, but right now I have nothing! So do you have a couple guitars for me to just go take a look at? I suppose I could get one a little more but no more than $600 I'd say.
IMO get an RG8 and swap the stock bridge pup for a D-Activator/pickup of your choice.
Low end Schecters and LTDs are hit or miss.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Last edited by damian_91 at Aug 4, 2013,
I played several Ibanez 8's and a Schecter Hellraiser 8 last time I visited the shop.

RG8 felt and sounded the best to me, and happened to be the cheapest of the lot($400). Stock pickups weren't all that terrible either.

As others have said, the RG8 is 27 scale, but you really need it unless you're going for drone or sludge sounds.
Quote by byates16

You've been a sheltered boy <G>.
Rondo has 8 strings with and without trems in scales from 27" to 30". In fact, they've also got fan fret (multiscale) versions.

Here's a few: http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html ranging in price from $399 to about $1225. The folks over at sevenstring.org love 'em.

This one's a fan fret, Multi-Scale design with scale range of 27" to 28.625" .

The Agile Septor 827 is $400 and comes in a ton of finish options. http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html

I would get one of those over a low end Schecter or LTD 8 without a second thought. Their low end 8s in particular have absolutely awful block heels. Not worth the money at all. The RG8 is a lot better because of the AANJ, but it still has the old style fixed bridge that I think sucks. Agile is the way to go on a budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for posting guys. What sucks for me is no guitar shop within 5 hours of me carries any 8 strings at all. I'm not too sure beyond that point but I can't make that drive anyway. I'll check out the Ibanez RG8. I never would've thought about Ibanez, so thanks. And I wouldn't say sheltered lol. I only listen to one group and I obviously have trouble affording good guitars. All I can normally do is look around and wish I could get guitars, which I hate doing!
Quote by byates16
Thanks for posting guys. What sucks for me is no guitar shop within 5 hours of me carries any 8 strings at all. I'm not too sure beyond that point but I can't make that drive anyway. I'll check out the Ibanez RG8. I never would've thought about Ibanez, so thanks. And I wouldn't say sheltered lol. I only listen to one group and I obviously have trouble affording good guitars. All I can normally do is look around and wish I could get guitars, which I hate doing!

All this will change (including the poverty level). And you should widen your listening.

Even in SoCal, where we have pretty much everything, the usual guitar shops (Guitar Splinter, SamAssh) are woeful when it comes to extended range guitars (ERGs). After Ibanez and Schecter 7's, there's just not much hanging on the walls.

Carvin's got sevens and eights, but they're semi-custom guitars anyway, and even the walls in the two or three Carvin stores that exist have maybe one or two guitars to look at.

We have at least one of the Ibanez "custom shops" (these are usually single builders or tiny shops to whom Ibanez ships the logos and hardware; they expect the shops to use standard Ibbie templates and produce guitars for the pros with endorsement deals. That's where folks like Dino Cazares ("Fear Factory") and others get their guitars. Trust me when I tell you that what you can buy off the rack at your guitar shop is NOT like what the endorsement folks get, no matter what the resemblance.

As has been mentioned, Agile (Rondo Music) produces a higher quality guitar at lower prices than what you get in the Guitar Denters and SlamAsh type stores, but if you're out of the US, you're also out of luck.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 5, 2013,