so i had the idea of buying a cheap strat taking out all the electronics putting in two humbuckers with a volume and tone each then routing a hole for a les paul selector switch where it would be on a les paul then putting a phase switch where the pickup selector normally is has anyone done this what wouold it sound like
Yeah it is called a PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Has anyone done this? Everybody.

Even Fender themselves have done it to a certain extent.
Yep, a lot of companies (including a few Fender models) have done this. Strats with humbuckers and LP styled wiring is pretty common but a Les Paul with three single coils and 5-way selector? That's pretty uncommon.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Keep in mind that none of them actually sound like the guitars. A PRS doesn't sound like a Gibson or Fender. A Gibson with single-coils doesn't sound like a Fender and a Fender with humbuckers doesn't sound like a Gibson.
It has been done.

Like was said Super-Strats are very common and a melting of LP with strat. But making a LP shaped guitar with a strat style pickup/switching system is not a common thing at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JELIFISH19
Keep in mind that none of them actually sound like the guitars. A PRS doesn't sound like a Gibson or Fender. A Gibson with single-coils doesn't sound like a Fender and a Fender with humbuckers doesn't sound like a Gibson.

a PRS is more "middle of the road" between a LP and a Strat and is the best blend of the 2 I have found.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by ceinoman
k what about the les paul selector in the top of the body

It's a little more uncommon, but completely cosmetic.

If you absolutely must be a special snowflake, there are better ideas than this.
Quote by johnnykbop
It's a little more uncommon, but completely cosmetic.

If you absolutely must be a special snowflake, there are better ideas than this.

would it not also make it easier to switch pickups
Quote by ceinoman
would it not also make it easier to switch pickups

In what way? In terms of positioning? That's really gonna depend on where you put your right hand when you play.
Quote by johnnykbop
In what way? In terms of positioning? That's really gonna depend on where you put your right hand when you play.

you could just flick the switch with your hand easily i find itr akward to do that on a strat
Quote by JELIFISH19

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gregs1020/music/play1121008

ok then what two guitars played this clip?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah it is called a PRS

Put me down for the PRS too !! ..... Gibson neck and strat body is about as close as you can get
Quote by Fumble fingers
Put me down for the PRS too !! ..... Gibson neck and strat body is about as close as you can get

Actually my PRS has a bolt-thru maple neck, so it is a little more strat like, but the body is mahogany/maple cap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate