I've been having trouble playing in a new space. My fuzz and wah pedal both go microphonic when I engage them.

So I talked to the local guys at my guitar shop and they said sometimes its not your gear, that if someone plugs a plug in backwards, then what ever noise that electronic is emitting will be picked up by everything on the same power. IE: A radio or TV plugged in backwards.

When I engage my fuzz pedal I can hear the radio or TV coming through my amp.

So they said get a Ground Lift box and if thats the case, then when you flip the switch it fixes that problem and switches the polarity or something.

Anyways this is what I got

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/direct-boxes/connect-series-edb1

I have it plugged in at the end of my pedal train, I dunno if thats the right spot.

I've got my last pedal going into "IN" and then my cable going into my amp coming out of "OUT".

Turn the fuzz on and flip the switch up and down, nothing happens. Does this thing need power to run or anything?

I'd say if I didnt know any better its just a hunk of metal and doesnt do anything lol

How do I use this thing?
So this problem only happens with the fuzz on? How close to the TV are you? Does having the pedal OR the guitar further away from the TV change anything? How are you powering the fuzz? Does using different outlets change anything?

Looks like that box doesn't reverse polarity, it just lifts the ground. Useful when you've got a difference of ground potential, but if the only thing that's plugged into the mains is your amp then it might not help you at all.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm inside a music co-op in a soundproof rehersal space, thats in the middle of downtown, so I dont know where the TV or radio signal is coming from. I tryed a different outlet last time to no avail.

It happens when the fuzz is on and goes with the volume on the fuzz, the louder the volume, the louder the radio/tv signal through my Blues Jr amp.

Also happens when I turn my Wah on and have the Wah open.. But the signal through the amp isnt as loud as when the fuzz is full volume.

The Fuzz is powered by the same Boss PSA-120S 9v power adapter I've been using for years.

The Wah is powered by the same Dunlop AD-0920 9v power adapter I've been using for years.

Also, I have my pedal board plugged into a power strip with ground into the wall outlet and I have my amp w/ ground plugged separately and directly into a different outlet in the wall.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions! Lets figure this out!
Last edited by StylingPaT at Aug 4, 2013,
This might not help the radio reception problem but I would try plugging your amp and pedal power supplies into the same powerstrip anyway. Then try every outlet in the room that you can.

Maybe invest in an outlet tester (they're really cheap and good to have anyway) and test to see if their wiring is wrong. If it is I guess you could bring it to their attention.

You could also try shielding your pedals and amp if they're not already, line the interior and surround the components with aluminum foil.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.