Hey Guys,

Anyone built one? Feel free to show off your bad boys on this thread

Any advice on making cigar box guitars? Also anyone know anywhere in the UK where I can buy a cigar box?

Luke
All of these guys are USA based, but I think you'll like looking at their websites:

http://reddogguitars.com/
http://shanespeal.bigcartel.com/
http://www.daddy-mojo.com/

As I recall, Red Dog- and to a lesser extent, Shane Speal- have info on how to build your own, as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 4, 2013,
I've built a few electric cigar box guitars. What do you want to know?
Here's a few tips.
Find a long box. Boxes less than maybe 12" long aren't long enough to fit the scale length of guitar necks. Arturo Fuente King B boxes are a great size.
Mine have an internal hard wood oak frame that the neck, tailpiece, and box bolt to. This provides stability for the whole thing. Cigar boxes aren't strong enough without it to hold the tension of the strings without tacoing.
The parts cost just as much as a real guitar. Except for the body all of the parts are required.
CBG's are harder to build than a solidbody guitar because of all of the work required to adapt the box and the frame to the neck.
Get the best neck you can afford.
I put a counter ballance weight in the box to make it handle and feel like a guitar. Without the weights, the box is lighter than the neck, and it won't stay still while you play. I've used genuine GM brake calipers, motorcycle chain, big fishing weights, for this. Glue them in place so they don't rattle around.
Good luck.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Aug 5, 2013,
I realize that, on a certain level, the core idea of a CBG is its style & simplicity, but have you ever considered a functional counterweight?

I mean, you could inststall a piezo system under the bridge, maybe some fancy electronics like onboard effects...whatever.

(I'm not a builder.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What do you mean functional weight? The weight inside the box functions as it should.
Every CBG build is unique. Build what you want.
Quote by Guitbuilder
What do you mean functional weight?

I mean something that has a function in addition to providing extra mass to counterbalance the mass of the neck.

Quote by Guitbuilder
Such as?

Like I said before:

...a piezo system under the bridge, maybe some fancy electronics like onboard effects...

Or other stuff.

Save money, build your own neck. 6 strings are unnecessary with a CBG.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin