Hello,

I am going to buy my first electric guitar soon. Its been around 3 years since I have been playing the guitar. I had a inexpensive acoustic till now, which unfortunately broke a few days back(Damn! it was a good guitar. It didn't cost a fortune but it sounded good to me). I can play pretty well, but not a master of the guitar at the same time. Still on the learning curve.

I am mainly into blues, rock, heavy metal, progressive rock/metal. I am a big time listener of Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath. I would like to get a good Strat sound out of my first guitar (especially play PInk Floyd solos with the smooth bends).

I have decided to buy a Squier Affinity Strat SSS (with a 2-color sunburst finish) with a maple fretboard and a VOX Pathfinder 10 amp. I want a maple fretboard Strat specifically in a budget guitar, hence the Affinity Strat. Ultimatley, when I'll have more money I plan to upgrade the electronics on this guitar to make it better, as most have suggested it on many forums.

For now I am not buying any effects pedals, and plan to save up a bit and buy them after a few months time. I am also getting a Gator electic guitar deluxe hard case for the guitar. The total sums up to roughly 450 USD. And this is pretty much hitting my budget limit. I stay in India and buying all of it from here.

Is this a good deal and expenditure? Any advice/comments welcome.

Thank You
If you want a good Strat don't get the Affinity.

Get a Squier Classic Vibe as a minimum, if you can afford a Mexican Fender Strat used go for that.

There's no point in getting a poor guitar and putting decent electronics in it as it will always sound sub par. It's a false economy.

The amp is a poor choice too. Get a Fender Mustang 2.

You can get a Mexican Strat for $250-$300 used and the amp for around $200.

That's your best shot in my opinion
the pathfinder isn't the best amp for metal.

try looking at some peavey vypyrs, similar price range. very versatile good sounding starter amp.

i would also recommend a strat in a HSS configuration for what you want to play. (humbucker in the bridge position)

rock out.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
For metal, I'd say a Peavey Vypyr, or whatever their starter series is.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I am buying from Indian market. A classic vibe which costs 380$ (23k Indian Rupees) in US market costs 490$ (30k Indian Rupees) in Indian market. Instruments and audio equipment is quite expensive here, as almost everything is imported from outside. Also its not easy to find too much variety here. Only musicians who are very specific about their needs, ask for some particular features (like maple fretboard, satin finish on neck etc.)

Even I am very much impressed by the looks, reviews, sound of the Classic Vibe Strat 50s. Also I just love its looks - aged white knobs and switches, gloss tinted maple fretboard. It has it all. But I am on a tight budget. Its difficult to ask for more money from my parents and its not easy to explain to them why I want a Classic Vibe and not compromise by buying a Affinity.

But one thing is for sure, I am buying this guitar not for short term purpose. I'll probably keep it for life, properly maintaining it all throughout. Thats why I am being very cautious in spending the money.

I chose the VOX Pathfinder, as its a low priced amp. Mustang series (even the Mustang 1 costs 180$ in Indian market) is slipping out of my budget.

And I will not be playing too much of metal. I look for more of a good clean blues Strat sound and good classic rock overdriven sound. I'll couple this with some good reverb, delay and distortion/OD stompboxes later.
Have you looked at a Yamaha pacifica? Its got a humbucker in the bridge and 2 singles, and is around the same price as an affinity. IMO the build/sound quality is better than a classic vibe.

Have fun looking
If you're cautious don't get the Affinity. The Affinity is not a guitar to keep forever, it's to start out on and sell after a year. Save up for longer, do the smart thing.

Show your parents this thread.

ATTENTION PARENTS:

Your son is an aspiring musician, do the right thing and give him the funds to aquire an instrument that will not lose it's tune all the time, that won't cut his hands on the frets, that won't feel cheap and sub par.

Feed his creativity and spend that little bit extra. He's not asking for the best, he's asking for ACCEPTABLE. The guitar he wants is not acceptable, but he is too humble to ask for more. You must give him more because he deserves that little bit more. He will wash your car every day for a month and do the dishes and put the bins out on time every day in return.

All the best, Phil.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 4, 2013,
I'd skip the hard case, that'll save you some money there. Unless you're planning on shipping it anywhere, a hard case is a bit grand for a solid bodied guitar in that price range.
Quote by johnnykbop
I'd skip the hard case, that'll save you some money there. Unless you're planning on shipping it anywhere, a hard case is a bit grand for a solid bodied guitar in that price range.

Yeah, and the basic gigbag is a lot more handy. I have a hard case for my Charvel but I don't use it any more. I have started using my basic gigbag because it's a lot easier and lighter to carry.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Get a Peavy vypyr instead of a vox if you want metal. The affinity is a great guitar to start just ignore everyone on that, they are durable and actually last a long time but also are easy to mod and upgrade.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Get a Peavy vypyr instead of a vox if you want metal. The affinity is a great guitar to start just ignore everyone on that, they are durable and actually last a long time but also are easy to mod and upgrade.

He said he wants to keep it FOREVER. No, it's not a great guitar in the slightest, sorry.

Bad advice is bad advice. With a bit more cash he can get something much, much better.
Quote by Mephaphil
He said he wants to keep it FOREVER. No, it's not a great guitar in the slightest, sorry.

Bad advice is bad advice. With a bit more cash he can get something much, much better.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mephaphil

Obviously if anyone had more cash they could get something better, but a budget is a budget. If that's the cash allocated, get something as decent as you can and change later if/when you have a bigger budget.
Quote by ghobby
Obviously if anyone had more cash they could get something better, but a budget is a budget. If that's the cash allocated, get something as decent as you can and change later if/when you have a bigger budget.

Or, instead of losing money and having a poor instrument, wait a couple of months, sell some stuff or beg your parents for more money. His budget is based on ignorance, he thinks it's an acceptable budget but the instrument he'll aquire is anything but.

The cold hard truth; Buy poor, buy twice.
Quote by Mephaphil
Or, instead of losing money and having a poor instrument, wait a couple of months, sell some stuff or beg your parents for more money. His budget is based on ignorance, he thinks it's an acceptable budget but the instrument he'll aquire is anything but.

The cold hard truth; Buy poor, buy twice.

I think his budget is based on what he's willing to spend, so get the best with the money and be happy with it.
He's not losing money, if he doesn't take to the guitar he can still sell it. Say he can get 60% to 75% selling a slightly used guitar. 40% of 200 is less than 40% of 350.

And seriously, after playing guitar for a while who only has one guitar. "Buy poor, buy twice", is more like buy one, see something shiny, buy another etc.
Firstly, thank you everyone for their inputs. I seriously have a budget constraint. Currently, I have no guitar to play(and I need one very much). If one has got big money, there is no limit to how much one can spend on buying guitar and audio gear. All I want is to get the best possible in my budget. Best value for the money spent. I am a final year engineering student of computer science, and do not have the money to buy professional gear and I do not want to overburden my parents for the same. Once I have an income I will think of getting a Fender American Strat with a 65' Deluxe Reverb amp and a Pedaltrain board full of good effects pedals. Right now, I am just starting my journey down the Strat road. In my budget I have two options:

1. Affinity Strat(maple fretboard) + a decent practice amp (10 to 20 watts) + a couple of pedals(maybe)
2. Spend all money on buying a Classic Vibe 50s Strat. No money left for amp/pedals. Plug into my audio interface and use Amplitube 3 effects and amp models and play it through my Sennheiser HD280 headphones. Buy a decent amp later when I have the money.

I am more in favor of the first option. BTW, does the Affinity Strat(maple fretboard) has a gloss finished fretboard or unfinished rough one?
If those are your 2 options, get the Classic Vibe. Since you have an interface for your computer you can still use the guitar. The CV strat is much better than the affinity line ever will be.

You will be much happier with a good guitar and Ampiltube than a crap guitar and amp. I have 4 tube amps, but all I use for practice at home id a POD XT with a set of AKG K44 headphones. No it is not my ideal set-up but it works just fine and I am happy with the results
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you could also use computer speakers, you don't have to use the headphones.

for the purposes of practicing Amplitube 3 should work until you can sort out something for an amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
you could also use computer speakers, you don't have to use the headphones.

for the purposes of practicing Amplitube 3 should work until you can sort out something for an amp.

gregs,

I don't have any type of speakers in my dorm room currently. Got headphones (Senn HD 280) to listen music, tracking and mixing(and hopefully if getting a Classic Vibe, then playing guitar )

Darkdevil,

Not thinking of a Les Paul right now. Not that I don't like it. I have played a Les Paul before and very much liked it. But I somehow see myself more as a Strat player. I want the Strat sound for now - bell like and bright twangy single coil sound.
Last edited by abhishek4090 at Aug 6, 2013,
Okay, I finally have set my mind on the Squier CV 50s. I'll be buying a 2-color sunburst, maple fretboard and SSS pickup configuration. But, I have checked all music stores in my city and its not available(and they can't even get it ordered). It probably will be available in another city and I'll have to travel there to get it. Online ordering is available but I need to check the guitar while buying, and I do not want to get into the issue of returns if the online ordered piece is defective in any way.
I finally bought the Squier CV 50's Strat (in Olympic White). Its a great guitar. Good neck feel, great playability and tone. I finally got that bright bell like classic single coil pickup sound I wanted (Wonderful Tonight was the first song I played on this guitar). Awesomely crafted guitar. Just love the shiny lacquered maple fretboard. This one is going to be with me for a really long time. In love with this guitar.

Thank you ultimate-guitar.com and all members for their inputs in making the choice to buy this great guitar.

- Abhishek
Quote by abhishek4090
I finally bought the Squier CV 50's Strat (in Olympic White). Its a great guitar. Good neck feel, great playability and tone. I finally got that bright bell like classic single coil pickup sound I wanted (Wonderful Tonight was the first song I played on this guitar). Awesomely crafted guitar. Just love the shiny lacquered maple fretboard. This one is going to be with me for a really long time. In love with this guitar.

Thank you ultimate-guitar.com and all members for their inputs in making the choice to buy this great guitar.

- Abhishek

VERY glad to hear you are happy with the Squier CV! HNGD!