Page 1 of 2
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382684/Charlie-Hague-Megan-Williams-told-pull-hobbit-home-entirely-natural-materials.html#ixzz2axprTkpe

A young couple have been left heartbroken after planners ordered their unique 'hobbit home' to be bulldozed, effectively leaving them homeless. Charlie Hague and Megan Williams, both 25, built the roundhouse from scratch with their own hands, using only natural materials.

But Pembrokeshire County Council ordered the couple to demolish their home because it was built without planning permission. Charlie and Megan, who live a self-sufficient lifestyle, fought the decision claiming it had a low impact on the environment because of its unique construction. Charlie, a sculptor and woodworker, said: 'We built this house to provide our son with a healthy environment to grow up in.

Shit like this really pisses me off. Especially this fucking gem:

'The benefits of a low-impact development do not outweigh the harm to the character and appearance of the countryside.'

What a fucking joke.
The article says that they didn't get planning permission was because they couldn't afford to get it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 4, 2013,
So they live on a private island, yet claim to have no money.

Yeah ok.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by StewieSwan
So they live on a private island

Where does it say that?

It says they built the house in private land, not a private island.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Where does it say they couldn't afford planning permission? It says they couldn't afford their own home. The article goes on to say they have applied for retrospective planning permission. Evidently they could afford it and should have applied like everybody else would have to.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Where does it say they couldn't afford planning permission? It says they couldn't afford their own home. The article goes on to say they have applied for retrospective planning permission. Evidently they could afford it and should have done like everybody else would have to.

The pair acknowledged their property was built without prior consent but said there was no other way for them to afford their own home.

Planning permission costs a lot of money. I happen to know because my parents couldn't build their loft extension because of the costs of planning permission.

Just because you can apply for planning permission doesn't mean you can afford it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Planning permission costs a lot of money. I happen to know because my parents couldn't build their loft extension because of the costs of planning permission.

That's the sentence I referenced. To me, it reads that they built their home because they wouldn't be able to afford a 'normal' house, with a deposit and mortgage etc.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's the sentence I referenced. To me, it reads that they built their home because they wouldn't be able to afford a 'normal' house, with a deposit and mortgage etc.

That's a reasonable justification.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Where does it say that?

It says they built the house in private land, not a private island.

My bad. Then there are 2 possibilities:

1. They built it on their own private land and my point holds
2. They built it on somebody else's land (without permission) and that's not cool at all
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by StewieSwan
1. They built it on their own private land and my point holds
2. They built it on somebody else's land (without permission) and that's not cool at all

1. They could have spent all their money on obtaining said land and not have enough for a planning permission.
2. The issue appeared to be more that they did not have a planning permission, not that they were trespassing. This probably indicates that either they have had permission from the owners or that it was done on state owned land
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
So... why do those laws exist? They seem to do more harm than good.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
So... why do those laws exist? They seem to do more harm than good.

Helps keep greenbelt zones, is meant to make sure that quality, safe buildings are created, helps the council to organise infrastructure, sewage developments etc, protect 'good' farmland, so on and so forth. Not that much of that has anything to do with building conservatories, but whatevs.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Helps keep greenbelt zones, is meant to make sure that quality, safe buildings are created, helps the council to organise infrastructure, sewage developments etc, protect 'good' farmland, so on and so forth. Not that much of that has anything to do with building conservatories, but whatevs.

So in other words to protect the status quo? I'd have expected better from a nation of rebels. If this is UK then that doesn't apply, but it's still shitty.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
And the UK is still more lenient on this kind of shit than the US.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
In America I'd say revolution but in Wales I'm guessing rugby match?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by TunerAddict
And the UK is still more lenient on this kind of shit than the US.

No one immigrates into the UK, why would the UK have to worry about this sort of thing?
Quote by severed-metal
No one immigrates into the UK, why would the UK have to worry about this sort of thing?

Polski?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by severed-metal

What does immigration have to do with planning permits and housing codes?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Who builds a house without permits? Like that's usually step one.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Trowzaa
Is it their land?

Lol no. There's codes and permissions needed to build a house. You can't do whatever you want because it's "your land."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by TunerAddict

Cuz filthy Mexicans stealing jobs from hardworking Americans.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by TunerAddict

Lots of things. I'm not going to explain it if you don't already get it.
Quote by severed-metal
Lots of things. I'm not going to explain it if you don't already get it.

That doesn't make sense. The only time one explains something is when another doesn't get it.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
They did appeal- I posted the report earlier. They have also said they are applying for retrospective planning permission.

So let's hope that they get the retrospective planning permission.
That's a lovely looking house. They're a bit daft for building it without permission though. I hope their appeal is successful and if not they will be re-housed quickly because they have a young child.
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me.
Quote by macashmack
That doesn't make sense. The only time one explains something is when another doesn't get it.

So let's hope that they get the retrospective planning permission.

As long as they fix the issues. Whilst I disagree with the decision based on the whole 'not in keeping with the area' thing, the major flaw I see is the lack of management plan for the dwelling, which is why I specifically mentioned point 12 in the report. It's all well and good having a septic tank, but as there is no management report, the inspector doesn't have the information about how that is going to be dealt with, for example.
So why am I supposed to be upset at this?

Pillocks built a whole house and failed to mention it to anyone and now they're surprised you're not actually allowed to just pop up a house wherever and however you like?
Quote by lolmnt

This. I hate over-done bureaucracy, since it exists triple in Germany than it does in any of your countries, but getting a building permit is the same shit everywhere. You want to build, you get a building permit.
Quote by lolmnt

Yeah this.

Either they decided it was alright to build their house on someone's private property, or they build it on their own land without being able to afford a permit. If the latter, the you should probably get rid of that baby instead of building it a home made out of branches.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by willT08
So why am I supposed to be upset at this?

Pillocks built a whole house and failed to mention it to anyone and now they're surprised you're not actually allowed to just pop up a house wherever and however you like?

I love this, from their Facebook page:

We knew we weren’t breaking any laws, and needed a house sooner rather than later, so began building, but within about six months of being finished the building was spotted by the planning department.
Quote by homeless-john
All violations to law aside, the house sorta looks like shit.

I think it looks nice. Very organic and charming.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I love this, from their Facebook page:

We knew we weren’t breaking any laws, and needed a house sooner rather than later, so began building, but within about six months of being finished the building was spotted by the planning department.

lol
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

The couple’s appeal was dismissed by planning inspector Iwan Lloyd, who ruled the development harmed the character and appearance of the countryside.

thats ****ed up and makes me want to kill humans. this is why i cant be a nice person, people like this have no dick length and cant please a woman so they make others feel miserable. ****ers
Page 1 of 2