I have a 6505+ and im looking a way to boost volume for solos using a pedal in the effects loop. I heard that some boosts might damage the tubes. Is there a way to put a boost/overdrive in the effects loop without damaging the tubes?
You could not possibly damage the tubes by putting a boost or overdrive in front or in the loop.

I don't know where you heard that but there is no production pedal with anywhere near enough output to damage tubes. The amount of power required to do that is more in the range of an amp, not a pedal. I wouldn't try to put an EH 44 Magnum in the loop or anything
I sing while playing guitar and it would be a lot easier to boost using the effects loop so that I could just use the 6505 footswitch to switch channels and throw on a boost.
Sure, that's a common use. You could also use a volume pedal if you want a bit more flexibility on the fly, but either way works well. Any boost pedal should work, lots of people swear by a tubescreamer with a 6505 to tighten up the bass.
Yes, definitely. I guess if you have the post volume maxed out it might not be able to boost any further but that would be unusual.
I suggest buying a clean boost pedal if you're using FX loops. MXR micro amp , BBE boosta grande, MXR mc-401 (just a few examples) provide a simple volume boost whilst keeping you're tone in tact, if JUST volume is what you need.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I'll throw the MXR Supercomp into the mix to do the job. Can't remember how mine is set now, but will give you quite a good volume boost for solos
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Tubescreamer in the loop for a clean volume boost, in front for increased saturation and compression.

I use a Danelectro Fish and Chips in the loop as a clean boost, EQ just set flat. It's dirt cheap and the potential flexibility is amazing. I definitely recommend an EQ as a clean boost over an overdrive or a boost pedal any day of the week.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^Sort of forgot I do this too. Yeah, just get an EQ to get the volume boost, then tweak as needed. I use a Boss GE-7. I suggest any tube screamer in front, since that is what it was designed for.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 4, 2013,
I use a Way huge angry troll for a boost in solo , but that will just boost the volume, won't do much to the gain.
I just throw an EQ pedal in the loop for my solo boost. I raise the mids a teensy bit. I also boost the front of the amp so I can keep my amps gain a tad lower.But for a solo boost, the eq has helped tremendously. It sounds amazing. I actually sold my boss for around 50, and used that to by a dan electro eq and made a huge profit. I thought it was worth it.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I use a Dano Fish & Chips in the loop as a boost too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification