Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new amp to go along with my Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe (HH) and PRS SE EG (SSS). I owned a Fender Mustang 1 but since I own my new Tele I feel obligatory to buy a new amp to do it justice and therefor I just sold my Fender Mustang. Probably an important note is that I often play over my Boss BR800 with headphones. However, I prefer playing over a real amp but any compatibility via aux in or so is a big plus.

The amp will be used mainly at home (almost anytime). However, it would be a plus it it could be used for some repetitions and eventually small gigs. The home use is the main purpose and will be used frequently. Therefor I need a good amp.

I've been looking for a while but I still haven't decided. Today I heard a Fender Blues Junior 3 with my Tele. Sweet amp, but it missed the compatibility with other devices and the options were limited. And because it was at the top of my budget I decided to let it go.

I'm looking for an amp that can do justice to at least my Tele. I'm looking for a nice clean sound and a touch of warmth is welcome. I had my eye on a Fender BJ III but it has a lack of options. I also took a look at the Ampeg GVT52-112, although it is swichable to 25w it is still too loud for home use ( row house)

I'm now taking a look at the Fender G-DEC serie. Although I do not need all the options, it has some sweet options like the looper and the footswitch. I will probably not use the sofware, I didn't use it for my FM1. The reviews seems pretty sweet as well. Also the Fender Super Champ X2 seems an option.

Summarized:
- Home use and maybe for repetitions and small gigs
- Not too many W
- Clean sound that goes well with my Tele (HH)
- Options for external devices (Aux?)
- Sweet sound

Budget is around €400-€500. I like Rock, Funk, Blues etc. Stuff like metal isn't for me.

I'm looking forward to your input!

Yes, I recently opened a similar topic but this one is more specific as I know now where I will buy my amp and what I'm looking for.
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Aug 4, 2013,
This is a bit cliche to say but low wattage doesn't necessarily mean better bedroom tones. Tube amps are loud and don't sound good at really low levels - but again it doesn't have anything to do with wattage, unless you have a really low power (like 1 watt) amp. Certain amps just have better bedroom tones. Some low wattage amps sound crap at bedroom volumes and some higher wattage amps sound good at bedroom volumes. My Laney VC30 sounds good with volume at 1 - though for somebody it may be a bit too loud, even at 1.

Yeah, if you can try it, I think Laney VC30 could fit you. It may be a bit too expensive but I guess you could find them used. I bought mine for only €280. Try one, but it may be too loud for you, I don't know how quiet you need to play. But it still has good bedroom tones compared to some other amps I have tried. It actually sounds really good at bedroom levels.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 4, 2013,
Thanks for the input so far! I saw the Vox AC15 indeed, but didn;t have the chance to play over it. I will arrange that all the amps will be present at the music store when I will try them. Thanks so far!
traynor ycv50b on thomann is probably worth a look, if you can stretch slightly (iirc it's around 570 euros, depending on your country's rate of VAT). i think it's out of stock at the moment, though, but that's a really good price for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
It might not have everything you believe you need but have you checked out the H&K Tubemeister 18? Fun little amp.

It doesn't have reverb
Quote by patriotplayer90
Vox A.C.15.

In this case, I assume the Vox AC15 C1 will be more than ok for my purposes?
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by Ippon
Should've mentioned it and any other requirements in the original post.

Used Bogner Alchemist should work.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't have reverb...
Quote by Ippon
Should've mentioned it and any other requirements in the original post.

Used Bogner Alchemist should work.

Please don't.

For your genres, the Vox is perfect. It has reverb and tremolo, and will sound quite lovely. But if you're disappointed with the lack of options(?) in the Blues Junior, you probably would with the Vox as well.
^ Yeah, what was wrong with the Blues Jr? If it was the AUX in, not many amps, aside from cheap practice amps, have them. What would you use the AUX in for?

But did the Blues Jr lack in other features?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Yeah, what was wrong with the Blues Jr? If it was the AUX in, not many amps, aside from cheap practice amps, have them. What would you use the AUX in for?

But did the Blues Jr lack in other features?

I would like to connect my Boss BR800 somehow to my new amp. I use it to loop parts of songs so I can practise it, i use the phrase trainer, etc. Besides that I want to fill my SD-card of the Boss with backing tracks.
I would advise dropping the AUX in requirement. I think they don't put them in nice amps because they know that even the best guitar voiced speaker won't do justice to non mids frequencies so anything fed through it would wind up sounding sorta like crap (exception being acoustic amps but that's another story alltogether)

I'm sure you have a computer with a decent sound card, you'll have better luck with your home stereo or computer speakers.

The vox AC15 is awesome btw.

EDIT: Disregard the first part of my post, I didn't know what your boss device was

Drop your AUX IN requirement but buy an RCA cable and one of these:
http://compare.ebay.ca/like/140775095104?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&item_id=140775095104

And your boss will work with anything that has a 1/4 plug.
Last edited by flexiblemile at Aug 5, 2013,
Thanks!! I've been doing some more research and I came to the conclusion that most tube amps will be too loud for home use, most importantly because they need some volume to be sound at their best.

Therefor it might be better to take a look at some other amps. This because it will be used at home almost everytime. I came across the Blackstar ID series and might be interested in the Blackstar ID 30. 15W should be sufficient but the 30 would give me some options for small gigs. I also looked at the Yamaha THR series, which seems to be sweet as well.
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Aug 5, 2013,
tube is american for valve
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GuitarL91
I would like to connect my Boss BR800 somehow to my new amp. I use it to loop parts of songs so I can practise it, i use the phrase trainer, etc. Besides that I want to fill my SD-card of the Boss with backing tracks.

Have it in front of your amp? (Though if you want it to sound clear ,you want to use clean tone or distortion pedal before the Boss - amp distortion is going to make it sound really unclear.) It has a guitar input, doesn't it? So just plug your guitar in and connect the device output with the amp input. You can also plug it into your FX loop (if the amp has one) and you'll get a lot more clear tone and you can use both distortion and clean tone.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Have it in front of your amp? (Though if you want it to sound clear ,you want to use clean tone or distortion pedal before the Boss - amp distortion is going to make it sound really unclear.) It has a guitar input, doesn't it? So just plug your guitar in and connect the device output with the amp input. You can also plug it into your FX loop (if the amp has one) and you'll get a lot more clear tone and you can use both distortion and clean tone.

you know what a br800 is, right? It doesn't have a 1/4 output and it's not a modeler.

But an RCA to 1/4 adapter would let you plug it into the amp
Last edited by flexiblemile at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by flexiblemile
you know what a br800 is, right? It doesn't have a 1/4 output and it's not a modeler.

But an RCA to 1/4 adapter would let you plug it into the amp

Doesn't it? At least in the picture it has a headphone out which looks like a 1/4. And headphone out can be used as a regular output. I'm not familiar with the device but I just looked at some pictures.

Oh, and you could of course use the line out with an adapter.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by GuitarL91
Thanks!! I've been doing some more research and I came to the conclusion that most tube amps will be too loud for home use, most importantly because they need some volume to be sound at their best.

Therefor it might be better to take a look at some other amps. This because it will be used at home almost everytime. I came across the Blackstar ID series and might be interested in the Blackstar ID 30. 15W should be sufficient but the 30 would give me some options for small gigs. I also looked at the Yamaha THR series, which seems to be sweet as well.

I dunno man, if you want valves, don't give up yet.

Perhaps you need something with switchable power output? Seems a lot of amps are doing that these days. An "affordable" on that jumps straight to mind is the Tiny Terror range by Orange. And a "not so affordable" option would be the Express range by Mesa Boogie.

And there's some really decent 5W amps which you could probably use to rehears and gig, depending on the situation. I'm thinking stuff like the Marshall Class 5, the handwired Vox AC4, Blackstar HT-5R, Ampeg GVT-5H/110. There's more that I can't think of, too. Seems to be a part of the market just taking off, really.
You don't need to turn up a tube amp to sound good (unless you are talking about whisper levels). As I have said earlier, my Laney VC30 sounds great at bedroom levels (I have turned it up and it didn't sound that different). And I have the volume at 1. I know some amps that need to be turned up louder to sound good. It depends on the amp. So go and try some amps and see if you like their bedroom tones. It doesn't need to be low wattage to sound good at bedroom levels. I remember playing through a 100 watt JCM2000 half stack and it sounded great at bedroom levels. Oh, and who cares if you can't get the best tone out of the amp at bedroom levels? I mean, my VC30 still sounds better at bedroom levels than all solid states and modeling amps I have tried at any levels.

Have you tried any tube amps at bedroom levels? And what is your bedroom level?

My bedroom level is about as loud as piano I think. That's how loud I need to turn my amp up to sound good.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ +1

(though bear in mind that an amp will seem quieter in a large guitar shop than it will in your bedroom )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really enjoy your input so far! I might found the solution (Ippon wrote it in this topic): Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 combo. At first I thought it didn;t have reverb, but that is the Head version, the combo has it. It is switchable in wattage and seems to have sweet tones! The switchability could be exactly what I am looking for. I will go to the music store again these days and try some amps!
bear in mind that even 1 watt in a bedroom will be really, really loud. 1 watt isn't bedroom volume.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GuitarL91
I really enjoy your input so far! I might found the solution (Ippon wrote it in this topic): Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 combo. At first I thought it didn;t have reverb, but that is the Head version, the combo has it. It is switchable in wattage and seems to have sweet tones! The switchability could be exactly what I am looking for. I will go to the music store again these days and try some amps!

The Vox AC 15 sounds much better. These cheap, "Jack of all trade" tube amps piss me off. They're mediocre at everything.
Quote by patriotplayer90
The Vox AC 15 sounds much better. These cheap, "Jack of all trade" tube amps piss me off. They're mediocre at everything.

15W Is too much for at home. I heard the H&K today and in fact I wasn't disappointed... Do you dislike these kind of amps in general or did you hear the H&K and disliked it?
Quote by GuitarL91
15W Is too much for at home. I heard the H&K today and in fact I wasn't disappointed... Do you dislike these kind of amps in general or did you hear the H&K and disliked it?

The H&K is 18 watts, and they both have a master volume knob so it's fine. I use a JCM 800 home, which will blow both those amps away in terms of volume. It's more about getting the amp with the sound you want.

I have played the H&K and found it uninspiring and mediocre, much like the Egnater Tweaker. However, Blackheart, Vox, Orange, Jet City, etc. make some lower wattage (less than 20 watt) amps that I like because they all have a particular sound they are trying to achieve instead of trying to sound like everything.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Doesn't it? At least in the picture it has a headphone out which looks like a 1/4. And headphone out can be used as a regular output. I'm not familiar with the device but I just looked at some pictures.

Oh, and you could of course use the line out with an adapter.

Sorry for me not getting it clear, but correct me when I am wrong. If I connect my guitar into my Boss and I convert the line out to a guitar jack and plug it in the H&K or BJ III, this means I can't use the amp to his ability? Because when I switch to the lead channel, the input (in this case the Boss with an mp3 playing or so) will be switched to 'lead' as well? This way I can only use the clean channel with my Boss connected? Or is there a way to make it work?

What do you mean with 'you could use the line out with an adapter'?
Quote by GuitarL91
Sorry for me not getting it clear, but correct me when I am wrong. If I connect my guitar into my Boss and I convert the line out to a guitar jack and plug it in the H&K or BJ III, this means I can't use the amp to his ability? Because when I switch to the lead channel, the input (in this case the Boss with an mp3 playing or so) will be switched to 'lead' as well? This way I can only use the clean channel with my Boss connected? Or is there a way to make it work?

What do you mean with 'you could use the line out with an adapter'?

Yes, you would need to use a clean sound. If you wanted distortion, you would have to use a distortion pedal before the device.

And by adapter I mean this:

But yeah, it has a headphone out that you could use as the output so no need for adapters.

Oh, and did you try the Vox AC15? And it was too loud for you?

I played through an AC30HW that sounded pretty good at pretty low levels. It also had a 15 watt switch that didn't really do anything noticeable to the volume/sound. The distortion was pretty good, not fizzy at all (I also tried a Marshall VM that sounded really fizzy with the volume lower than 9 o'clock when it was too loud for bedroom use - I could have played it at that volume but my parents would certainly have bitched about it).

But again, I don't know your bedroom level.

Also, the Tubemeister is 18 watts, Vox AC15 is 15 watts, same with Blues Jr (though high wattage doesn't mean bad bedroom tones, for example I mentioned in my earlier post the 100 watt JCM2000 that sounded good at bedroom volumes - and my bedroom volume back then was a bit quieter than it's now).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The whole being fixed to 1 channel thing is a bummer when you have more channels. I'm gonna try some amps when I wake up. I sawthe Blackstar HT 1R combo has an mp3 input tho! I was looking at the HT5R serie but that version doesn't have it so I missed out on the HT1R. For gigs I could PA it. As said, tomorrow is a new day for testing
I have a Vox AC4TV Head/Cab that I love. It works great for both bedroom playing and small gigs when cranked up to 4 Watts. Also have a Fender Excelsior that's 13 Watts that sounds really good too.
Quote by GuitarL91
The whole being fixed to 1 channel thing is a bummer when you have more channels. I'm gonna try some amps when I wake up. I sawthe Blackstar HT 1R combo has an mp3 input tho! I was looking at the HT5R serie but that version doesn't have it so I missed out on the HT1R. For gigs I could PA it. As said, tomorrow is a new day for testing

Both the HT-1R and HT-5R have mp3/line inputs. Personally, if you like the way it sounds, I think the HT-5R is a brilliant option. They're very polarizing, though. It's probably got the volume (it' unbelievably loud) to rehears and gig, but perhaps not the body and presence. I'd be worried about it not quite being a big enough sound to stand out. In saying that, it depends on your drummer and played through a 2x12 or 4x12 would probably go a long way in helping.
Quote by Grimm312
Both the HT-1R and HT-5R have mp3/line inputs. Personally, if you like the way it sounds, I think the HT-5R is a brilliant option. They're very polarizing, though. It's probably got the volume (it' unbelievably loud) to rehears and gig, but perhaps not the body and presence. I'd be worried about it not quite being a big enough sound to stand out. In saying that, it depends on your drummer and played through a 2x12 or 4x12 would probably go a long way in helping.

Are you sure the HT-5R has it? Éverywhere where I read the specs they mention it for the HT1R but not for the 5R. Probably on copied the other, and so on. If it has an mp3 line in and the sound is sweet, this might be a winner. Also because of the 12 inch speaker!
Yeah mate, I double checked mine. It's a 1/4" jack, but 3.5mm adapters are cheap and easy to come by.

Click here to see the back panel of the HT-5R. It's a massive picture, though. The line/mp3 input is the last on the right.

Make sure you play one though, people either love or hate the tone and company in general.
I was looking for ages and saw the same pictures. They confused me because the "mp3 line in" was pointed down but I couldn't see anything. I'm almost on my way to the shop
Page 1 of 2