I got the official songbook. The solo part during 8:34 - 8:38 is not sounding right to me, seems wrong. The official songbook transcibes as follows:

4 times:

B 15 14 15 14
G -----------------16 14

2 times:

B 17 14 17 14
G ----------------16 14

2 times:

B 19 14 19 14
G------------------16 14
I learned all of In The Presence of Enemies part 1 a few months ago. The big long shreddy bit looked totally wrong and weird - it sounded nothing like the actual song when I played it slowly. But sometimes all it takes it to be able to play it at speed. Once I got the hang of it (Barely!) it started sounding right.

Having said that, I hear some tab books are more accurate than others. If you have the official Dream Theater books, it'll be accurate, as far as I know. I have Systematic Chaos for guitar and it looks perfect
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
Having said that, I hear some tab books are more accurate than others. If you have the official Dream Theater books, it'll be accurate, as far as I know. I have Systematic Chaos for guitar and it looks perfect

Unless it was transcribed by Petrucci himself there's not really any reason for the official tab book to be more accurate than anything else. They're just done by anyone else with ears so if something sounds off to TS it might very well be.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by HeretiK538
it sounded nothing like the actual song when I played it slowly. But sometimes all it takes it to be able to play it at speed. Once I got the hang of it (Barely!) it started sounding right.

That's exactly it, i lowered the audio tempo in my DAW and could check the transcription is perfectly right except that there seems to be a doubled note in the last lick. Don't ask why i did not thought of doing that before, i just did not.

It is 12 notes per second which made it sound like a sweep or something else, i'm currently unable to play at that speed but as soon as i can it should sound right. I could play even faster but there is about 10 years i do not touch the guitar, i'm just returning.

Thanks.
Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by BananaJoe

It is 12 notes per second which made it sound like a sweep or something else

0_o, nah, the strictest alternate picking ever.

I just double checked, the tab is right imo, i think you may have some problem with the rhythm maybe?

Petrucci did of course not transcribe the official book by himself but at least he checked it.
Quote by Facecut
0_o, nah, the strictest alternate picking ever.

I just double checked, the tab is right imo, i think you may have some problem with the rhythm maybe?

Petrucci did of course not transcribe the official book by himself but at least he checked it.

It is right, that was just how it sounded to my ears in the original track and made me feel the transcription was wrong. As i said i could hear it is right by using the audio time stretch in Ableton , by lowering the audio tempo of the original track.

The thing has no rhythm That little part sounds very diferent at a lower speed.
Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Unless it was transcribed by Petrucci himself there's not really any reason for the official tab book to be more accurate than anything else.

I had assumed it was him who did it, for some reason - I just checked now, it was done by a guy, and then checked by Petrucci, who OK'd it, so I guess it must be pretty accurate for his approval. But yeah, I see what you're saying
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by HeretiK538
I had assumed it was him who did it, for some reason - I just checked now, it was done by a guy, and then checked by Petrucci, who OK'd it, so I guess it must be pretty accurate for his approval. But yeah, I see what you're saying

It's getting a bit better about things like this now but it certainly used to be the case that 90% of tab books were never even seen by the artist but just authorised in a contract somewhere.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know Mike Portnoy is/ was very big on releasing the drum music for his Dream Theater stuff, if you peruse Youtube, you can find just about any Dream Theater song with a video of him playing the drums in the studio
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by HeretiK538
I know Mike Portnoy is/ was very big on releasing the drum music for his Dream Theater stuff, if you peruse Youtube, you can find just about any Dream Theater song with a video of him playing the drums in the studio

And what does that have to do with the guitar solo exactly?

TS, that's how I play that part and it sounds good to me. The notes themselves are correct.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Apologies, it was a tangent on the songbook transcription discussion
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE