I've recently gotten back into playing electric after playing strictly acoustic for around 2 years, and I would like to upgrade my amp. I have a 15 watt spider III which is surprisingly decent...for cleans. I play cleans just as often, if not more than heavy gain, but I really need something that can give me a good metal sound.

This is where I'm conflicted, I'm not sure if I'd rather have an amp or a multi-effects processor to just connect to my PC. I'm not sure what would be a better buy and etc. As far as amps go, I can buy a Roland Cube 20x for $70 and I'm highly considering it, I LOVE Roland's cube amps, but I'm also somewhat interested in recording and being able to model pretty much any sound. For a processor, I'm considering a Boss ME 25 or a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 since my budget is between $100 and $150, I know this won't get me high quality stuff, but I'd like something that I can enjoy until I splurge and drop serious cash on a decent amp.

I suppose the Boss has the advantage since it can be used as just a multi-effects unit, but I can barely find a used model for $150, which seems kinda ridiculous considering it's $200 new.

Any advice?
If you don't need to play live, an interface, like the POD Studio will get you best results, as you'll be able to use tons of free VST amp sims that sound great. The ME25 is kinda meh. If you want a standalone pedal, I'd go for an older POD X3 or XT Live with all the model packs. They can be found for $150 or less and blow the Boss unit away.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, a stand alone pedal isn't really that necessary, would just be a nice extra, I suppose.

Also, what's the difference between the Studio UX1 and UX2? From what I can tell, it's only a microphone difference.
The UX2 has a second mic input and phantom power for running condenser mics.

TBH - The POD Studios are pretty poor, I'd look at something else, like a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 or the Saffire 6. Better quality DIs, conversion and mic preamps, for about the same price. The reason the POD Studios cost so much is because they come with POD Farm, which frankly, the Standard version of the software sucks.

If you don't plan on recording with any microphones, the regular PODs (with USB inputs) can do the same thing as the POD Studios, as far as recording and free software amps goes, plus you'll have the added versatility of being able to use it live.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you don't need to play live, an interface, like the POD Studio will get you best results, as you'll be able to use tons of free VST amp sims that sound great. The ME25 is kinda meh. If you want a standalone pedal, I'd go for an older POD X3 or XT Live with all the model packs. They can be found for $150 or less and blow the Boss unit away.

+1, though only the X3 is worth considering IMO. The POD/2.0/XT are all pretty crap, the X3 is good and the HD is great. IMO

X3 Live or HD500 would be good options because they have uses outside of just being an interface, if you ever wanted to use them in a live situation, they would be usable. You could even plug them straight into a PA. A dedicated interface is only useful in front of a computer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, but they're far beyond what I'm willing to spend atm. Also, I could care less about mic recording, I wouldn't mind having the option, but I'm not worried about it being sub-standard.

At the moment, I have offers for a Roland 20x for $70 and a Pod Studio UX1 for $100, but if a regular pod can do the same thing, I may just try to find a cheap one.

EDIT: Wait, the Line 6 Pod 2.0 doesn't seem to connect to a PC or use podfarm or any of the software. Idk if I mentioned it before, but that is absolutely a necessity, otherwise, I'd need another amp ANYWAY
Last edited by Velcro Man at Aug 4, 2013,
^ The POD 2.0 is crap by today's standards anyway, absolutely not even worth looking into IMO. I'd say go with the POD Studio... Not the best recording interface, but if you don't need the portability of the Cube, the POD can get much better results with software amp sims.

Quote by Offworld92
+1, though only the X3 is worth considering IMO. The POD/2.0/XT are all pretty crap, the X3 is good and the HD is great. IMO

X3 Live or HD500 would be good options because they have uses outside of just being an interface, if you ever wanted to use them in a live situation, they would be usable. You could even plug them straight into a PA. A dedicated interface is only useful in front of a computer.

XT and X3 models are exactly the same (assuming the XT has all the model packs), the only difference is the X3 can use dual amp setups

Definitely go for the HD if you can find one cheap, though. Great modelers for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I wanted an HD...but people just don't seem to understand REASONABLE used prices on ebay...and there's nothing on craigslist. Seriously, 80% of the new price for a used item is just unacceptable...especially when it's technology.

Mobility isn't much of an issue, I've never played with other people, I'd like to, eventually, but for now, I just wanna build my electric chops for awhile and eventually buy gear closer to pro level. Here's hoping the Pod UX1 goes for $100! Still not the best deal...but it seems to be through a music store and the only used model with the software and usb cord.
Quote by MatrixClaw

XT and X3 models are exactly the same (assuming the XT has all the model packs), the only difference is the X3 can use dual amp setups

Definitely go for the HD if you can find one cheap, though. Great modelers for the price.

Huh. I could have sworn they were different eras, but it seems that you're right. I'm sorry.

^ Here's an XT Live for $150. Definitely worth the $50 extra IMO. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-POD-XT-LIVE-Multi-effects-PROCESSOR-Floorboard-Pedalboard-w-adapter-NICE-/251313275298?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a837041a2
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 4, 2013,
Well, the shipping puts it outside of my price range for at least a week...though I will keep it in mind if they repost and no one buys
Quote by Velcro Man
Well, the shipping puts it outside of my price range for at least a week...though I will keep it in mind if they repost and no one buys

It's something that you might want to consider, save that extra week or two, as opposed to buying something cheaper and not getting what you're after.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.