So as I approach my 25th birthday in October and making about $10 an hour at my job, I've finally come to terms with a nagging thought in the back of my mind: Go back to school.

I've tried the Community College thing once, for like two semesters, and lets say I didn't do so hot. I was 19, freshly back from a long stint in Europe, and I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Que almost six years later, I'm married, in the Army Reserves, and have a much better head on my shoulders. I know the CC route would be safer/cheaper, but I want to try the straight up four-year university thing. It's probably stupid, a mental block, but I feel I would take it more seriously. Also, as a married vet making under $15,000 a year, apparently I stand a much better chance (so I'm told, and that is part of the reason I write to you, dearest Pit), of getting scholarships and grants and what have you. The only problem is I haven't taken my SATS or ACTS, and I gather that Colleges and Unis don't even look at those scores taken after highschool.

So to make a long story longer, do I stand a chance? Regardless I'm going to apply, and if I get shot down like a bird with down syndrome, then I'll go the CC route and transfer as a junior. I just really want to avoid that. I've learned that if I'm going to accomplish something as daunting as this I need to fully immerse myself in the world- I.e. be a full time student. My wife and I are applying together to SMU.

Finances aside, I'm worried about getting admitted. To SMU that is.
Unless you had really good grades at your last stint of CC, it may behoove you to go to CC for a bit and get good grades. Then, transfer to a regular 4 year school.

The one thing I would advise against is going to a "technical college", until you decide you want a technical degree.
No GI bill funds? Don't know what you meant exactly. If not your state reserves might cover tuition too, but you have to apply and agree to wax their butt for 8 years after graduation or something.
I don't know for sure but I think the G.I. Bill will pay for the whole nine yards so you don't have to worry about the money (I am not positive though).
I agree with Sam, go to community college and transfer.
Can't you be a full time student at community college? Get as many credits that will transfer done on the cheap.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Guys, the GI Bill is one of the things they're cutting. So, TS may not be eligible for that. Some vets aren't.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Unless you had really good grades at your last stint of CC, it may behoove you to go to CC for a bit and get good grades. Then, transfer to a regular 4 year school.

I know some CC's (at least here in Virginia) offer programs that allow you to take most core classes for credit and then you are guaranteed admission to most public colleges in the state, after declaring a major for the school of choice of course. Perhaps look into something similar in your state, OP?
Quote by Skullivan
I know some CC's (at least here in Virginia) offer programs that allow you to take most core classes for credit and then you are guaranteed admission to most public colleges in the state, after declaring a major for the school of choice of course. Perhaps look into something similar in your state, OP?

This, and same thing for Pennsylvania. Having been in both systems, I'll vouch.

I would honestly recommend community college only because it's cheaper. Honestly, either you have the right attitude or you don't, and motivation by fear (if you go the 4 year route) might add unnecessary stress.
Calling the VA and the college admissions office will yield far better results than asking the pit.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
SMU is pretty tough to get into, maybe look in UT also.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Why are you asking the Pit about college admissions? Most of these dudes are in high school or never tried.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Most university admissions are determined by penis length. That's why I got a baller scholarship. If you're packin 7" it should be no problem.
Listen. I'm sorry.