Before I restrung my Xplorer, I played her a bit and noticed the high E string was buzzing like a mother.

I figured it was just due to the strings being a bit old/time for a change, got a new set, put them on and it still buzzes open, but the fretted notes come out fine.

I haven't set the intonation yet, tried raising the action little by little and still.

Going by eye the problem looks to be at the first and second fret where it's touching.

Sooo...dafuq do I do?
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
So the problem goes away when you fret the string.... First place I'd look is if the string is seated well in the nut slot. Next I'd check if your first fret might be high. If you move a straight edge along the frets parallel to the string, does it bump into the first fret? Sometimes the fret will loosen or pop out a bit and can be tapped down, or a drop of superglue and clamped. If it isn't loose and just high you'll have to either raise the string on that end by raising the nut, or level the fret. If your nut slot is too low you can build it up using a combination of superglue and some sort of resin dust.

Oh... one more thing. The distance between the first fret and the string should be about the thickness of a medium pick... so the string holds the pick in, but doesn't lift from inserting the pick. If your action at the nut is too low you'll get buzzing. Raise the nut by either getting a new nut, building up the height of the slot like I suggested above or putting a very thin shim under the nut.
Last edited by stormin1155 at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by stormin1155
So the problem goes away when you fret the string.... First place I'd look is if the string is seated well in the nut slot. Next I'd check if your first fret might be high. If you move a straight edge along the frets parallel to the string, does it bump into the first fret? Sometimes the fret will loosen or pop out a bit and can be tapped down, or a drop of superglue and clamped. If it isn't loose and just high you'll have to either raise the string on that end by raising the nut, or level the fret. If your nut slot is too low you can build it up using a combination of superglue and some sort of resin dust.

Oh... one more thing. The distance between the first fret and the string should be about the thickness of a medium pick... so the string holds the pick in, but doesn't lift from inserting the pick. If your action at the nut is too low you'll get buzzing. Raise the nut by either getting a new nut, building up the height of the slot like I suggested above or putting a very thin shim under the nut.

Luckily once I put the rest of the strings on, it all worked itself out
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.