I don't really have a point with this thread other than to maybe generate a discussion.

I tried an Engl Retro tube 100 halfstack the other day and ever since my 6505+ has sounded quite lackluster. The Engl had excellent cleans, awesome light crunch, AC/DC tone, and surprisingly -- a brootz channel that rivals every high-gain amp I've ever played. It just sounded amazingly tight, yet rich with plenty of low-end. I didn't even have to crank the thing...

The thing is, there's no effing way I can afford such a thing. It was around $2000 just for the head. Granted, my 6505+ is just the 112 combo, so I'm wondering how much difference the cab made on the Engl. It had an Engl cab with Celestion Vintage 60s, FWIW.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, what do you do to sleep at night when there's no way in hell you can afford something that sweet? If I get a nice 212 cab or even a 412 will it breathe enough life into my 6505+ that I find it acceptable again?
Last edited by KailM at Aug 4, 2013,
Not really. I used to own a Diezel Herbert and several other very high end amps. My 5150 is still my favorite amp I've owned

Sure, there's "better" sounding amps out there, but they're also all 3-4 times the price, and probably only 5-10% better.

Price does not dictate how good something is going to be, though we all seem to be hardwired that way. Take this for example - I recently got a pair of "second" studio monitors (Yamaha HS80Ms) to use as a second reference to my main monitors (Adam S2As). Despite being $5000 new, I recently listed the Adams for sale, because the $700 Yamahas are working better for me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm more like that with guitars. I tried out a few guitars last week and none of them have the same level of quality as my current ones. They were more difficult to play and didn't feel great. Part of me is still interested in them but I can't see myself wanting playing them over what I currently have.
sounds like you were already looking for something better anyway, so it's not like you were happy with your amp the ENGL just ruined it for you.

i don't really regret any high end gear decisions (wish i would have gotten my CEC when i was still in a band though )

has it ruined average gear for me? sure, i have a bit of a hard time getting excited about a friend's new epi LP. but it has also opened many channels of playing by providing more versatile tones too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Played a Parker about 5 years ago.
Every guitar just feels inferior.
I don't regret it though, gives me something to save for.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really. I used to own a Diezel Herbert and several other very high end amps. My 5150 is still my favorite amp I've owned

Sure, there's "better" sounding amps out there, but they're also all 3-4 times the price, and probably only 5-10% better.

Price does not dictate how good something is going to be, though we all seem to be hardwired that way. Take this for example - I recently got a pair of "second" studio monitors (Yamaha HS80Ms) to use as a second reference to my main monitors (Adam S2As). Despite being $5000 new, I recently listed the Adams for sale, because the $700 Yamahas are working better for me

Yeah, I've always been very happy with my 6505+; have been planning to get a bigger cab and eventually a 6505 head to replace it. In fact, I've played Mesa Dual Recs, Mark Vs, Royal Atlantic, Marshall JVMs, EVH 5150 III, Laneys, etc. and found that NONE of them satisfied me like the 6505 tone. But this Engl is a different beast, I'm telling you...

Maybe it's time for me to get new power tubes, lol. They are about 2 years old and I play every day at almost gig volumes.
i have been gravitating towards music man guitars for a while. if pisses me off that thier lowest end ones start at about 1600 and generally it comes with a floyd and crap, which i dont want. ones i do want like the john petruchi or the steve morse start at about 2500-3500. jesus.

but my god they just about blow away any other guitar. its insane. they play like butter. i cant find a guitar in a guitar center than plays half as good off the rack. PRS might come close. with a setup then yes.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'm like that with pedals, although it's not usually because they are higher quality, I just want them all
For instance I bought a Pigtronix Echolution whilst saving up for an Eventide Space. Great Pedal, yes, and I didn't have a delay at the time so it was convenient, plus I ended up grabbing a stereo WET for my reverb anyway which is by no means bad but sometimes I just think "I stilll need one..."
Tried a Uberschall the other day, really shouldn't have done it...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Play the Engl a bit more and you'll wind up hating it. Just how the cycle of high end gear winds up going. Eventually you realize how ridiculous it is and just find something you like enough to settle down with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by godgrinder
Tried a Uberschall the other day, really shouldn't have done it...

Says the dude with the Verellen......
Quote by mmolteratx
Play the Engl a bit more and you'll wind up hating it. Just how the cycle of high end gear winds up going. Eventually you realize how ridiculous it is and just find something you like enough to settle down with.

I rolled through various high gainers and wound up settling with a $300 Peavey VTM after I sold a Splawn Quick Rod. Still don't regret it, even though the Splawn was a $2,000 amp.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by ikey_
i have been gravitating towards music man guitars for a while. if pisses me off that thier lowest end ones start at about 1600 and generally it comes with a floyd and crap, which i dont want. ones i do want like the john petruchi or the steve morse start at about 2500-3500. jesus.

but my god they just about blow away any other guitar. its insane. they play like butter. i cant find a guitar in a guitar center than plays half as good off the rack. PRS might come close. with a setup then yes.

They do have the non-BFR JPs for around the $1600 price tag, and AFAIK they are basically the same.
Quote by mmolteratx

+1, to a certain extent anyway

I mean I don't hate my engl or anything, but aside from the (admittedly pretty cool) features and extra versatility, I'm just as happy with my laney or jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I felt that way when I tired an used Matchless Chieftain. In no way am I a clean or country player but that amp had an amazing clean chime that is still staying with me 2 years later
At the same time I tired an used VHT Pittbull and wasn't as impressed, and it was more expensive than the Chieftain.
Quote by diabolical
I felt that way when I tired an used Matchless Chieftain. In no way am I a clean or country player but that amp had an amazing clean chime that is still staying with me 2 years later
At the same time I tired an used VHT Pittbull and wasn't as impressed, and it was more expensive than the Chieftain.

Woah you weren't like doing a direct comparison between them were you?
That's more like apples and donuts than apples and oranges. Hardly even the same species. You would expect a matchless to slay one in cleans.
i've never really been THAT impressed with high end gear for its own sake. Once you're into quality build territory price-wise, it's just character and tonal differences as far as I'm concerned. I never think because I don't like something that it's not expensive or boutique enough, it's just not voiced or doesn't respond the way I prefer. I learned not to get caught up in that game at a young age, and that once you find what does it for you embrace it. It takes a good year to truly appreciate, with amps/cabs especially, what sounds and responses it can produce.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
In some ways yeah, high-end stuff can be poisonous, but then I just think about how my favorite tones were recorded with normal, run-of-the-mill gear and I stop caring as much.

Of all the guitars I have played, there is still something just amazing about my MIJ Strat. I have not yet found a guitar that satisfies me more than that. I think that at some point it stops being about the "best" and more about the "right" which is what that guitar is, right.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I bought an Engl Powerball I a couple years ago. It may have been a dud, but I cant be sure because its the only time I played an Engl. i really couldnt get the distortion to saturate, it just got REALLY freakin loud. I ended up returning it, and I was just satisfied with my Bugera 333.

Now I own an Egnater Vengeance and I fall in and out of love with it. No matter what, I always find myself looking at and wanting Engls, Diezels, Mesas, or Bogners.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by crabstampede
i've never really been THAT impressed with high end gear for its own sake. Once you're into quality build territory price-wise, it's just character and tonal differences as far as I'm concerned. I never think because I don't like something that it's not expensive or boutique enough, it's just not voiced or doesn't respond the way I prefer. I learned not to get caught up in that game at a young age, and that once you find what does it for you embrace it. It takes a good year to truly appreciate, with amps/cabs especially, what sounds and responses it can produce.

I was going to say something about that. An amp that costs 3 times as much as a 6505 won't be better than it. Only the Peavey does what it does. If you like the Peavey, there's not a better version of the 6505 out there (unless it's the 112 combo). You're not getting better at a certain point, just getting different. There's a reason you see so many 6505s and Rectifiers in touring bands' rigs even though they can afford better. Some even get Axe-FXs for the rack capability and still use 6505s and Rectifiers even though it has much more expensive high gain amps.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by T7E
Woah you weren't like doing a direct comparison between them were you?
That's more like apples and donuts than apples and oranges. Hardly even the same species. You would expect a matchless to slay one in cleans.

Didn't really expect to compare them but that's what the store had and I just wanted to try the Matchless because of the great artists that I know who use them. Not my type of amp but it was simply amazing. The Pittbull was what I was looking to try since it checked all the parameters I needed at the time (minus the exuberant price) and honestly I wasn't very impressed. It was kinda dark and sloppy sounding, and I rather take a Marshall punch which I did. Couldn't find decently priced JCM200DSL at the time so I got a JCM900 with distortion in front and never looked back. Still dream about that Matchless on lonely night
A Pitbull dark and sloppy sounding? That's literally the exact opposite of a Pitbull. They're the tightest, driest amps I've ever played in my life. Even more so than the VH4. Treble response is certainly not dark as well. They've got a good amount of treble. Not SLO levels of treble, but more than I'd call dark on just about any setting.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cliff notes:
OP has GAS for a new amp.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
A Pitbull dark and sloppy sounding? That's literally the exact opposite of a Pitbull. They're the tightest, driest amps I've ever played in my life. Even more so than the VH4. Treble response is certainly not dark as well. They've got a good amount of treble. Not SLO levels of treble, but more than I'd call dark on just about any setting.

It's been a while but from what I remember it sounded dark like a Mesa Rectifier minus the cool saturation thing that happens when you punch the Mesa...maybe a bit darker than that even, couldn't dial any tone that I wanted...The only guitars they had were Tom Anderson and were all single coil so that might have something to do with it but I wasn't impressed at all. They also had the VHT (now Fryette) Sig 6 and that amp was fantastic so not sure what was the case exactly for the Pitbull.
Quote by diabolical
It's been a while but from what I remember it sounded dark like a Mesa Rectifier minus the cool saturation thing that happens when you punch the Mesa...maybe a bit darker than that even, couldn't dial any tone that I wanted...The only guitars they had were Tom Anderson and were all single coil so that might have something to do with it but I wasn't impressed at all. They also had the VHT (now Fryette) Sig 6 and that amp was fantastic so not sure what was the case exactly for the Pitbull.

You mean the SIG:X? Those are killer amps too. If the Pitbull was as dark as a Rec, there was definitely something up with it. They're much, much brighter. Anderson's pickups tend to be voiced a little dark, but I don't think that's enough to account for it.But yea, they don't ever get saturated, which is why people tend to love or hate them. They're also regularly available used for under $1500.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT