As of now, I own a refurbished Takamine GS330S. I'm looking to spend around $700 on a new acousitc-electric, but I can go up to $1000. I prefer getting it off of somewhere like zzounds.com, so I can finance it and not have to pay it all at once.

I'm pretty immobile right now, at least as far as a car goes, so I'm not sure if I'll have any way to hand-test models in the near future.

I want a well balanced, high-quaility acoustic-electric. I like bright sounding highs, though. I'd also, prefer for it to be nice looking, but whatever. I would prefer it to have a tuner on it.

Guild, Ovation and Taylor sound interesting to me, though Ovations being "quiet" and Taylors not having tuners are minor turn-offs.

These are all really just preferences, and I'm open to most anything. I just wanna bounce some ideas back and forth.
i've bought a lot of instruments and equipment at americanmusical because they'll do 3 payments with no credit check.

i really like the guild GAD series. nice tone, build quality and finish, plus they come with hardshell cases. they're all solid, and i think they're great guitars and good bang for the buck. i once got one with a smelly case, but any big box store should make an exchange easy. otherwise never seen a guild with issues.
http://www.americanmusical.com/6-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitars--Sort-4--b-112

one of my personal faves, although if clean highs are of interst, you might prefer the mahogany back and sides version. i like overtones and a darker tone
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GUI-3810315-LIST

here's the solid top yamaha FGX730, which is a nice guitar, actually, gloss top, clear, silvery high end.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-FGX730SC-LIST

an all solid yamaha - i haven't tried this one, but have heard good things
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-AC3X-LIST

i haven't found medium bowl ovations to be quiet, but they're pretty bassy, so not perhaps the best if you're looking for clear highs.

the one catch with listening to me is i don't care if a guitar has a tuner, so might fail to notice when they don't have one. taylors don't have 'em, but you can always buy a $15 snark and leave it on the headstock while you're playing.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
if your looking for payment options( i highly suggest against that route), Sweetwater has a 24 month interest free card that they offer( on certain guitar lines). good choice if you qualify.
Patti's got some great choices( as usual). i would offer up an Ovation med or deep bowl. to tame some of the bass and bring out some more sparkle, you can use use extra light strings.
i do love the Ovation Elite series.
the lack of tuners on taylors( new one should be here tuesday finally yeah!!!!!) is a very minor thing, snark tuners work well with them. i'm slowly graduating from Ovation to taylors even though i'll always keep an O or 2 around, still love them.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by patticake
...[ ]...i really like the guild GAD series. nice tone, build quality and finish, plus they come with hardshell cases. they're all solid, and i think they're great guitars and good bang for the buck. i once got one with a smelly case, but any big box store should make an exchange easy. otherwise never seen a guild with issues....[ ]....
I don't think China has an equivalent of our OSHA. So, high VOC solvent glues are probably the norm.

To put it another way, "if you thought that case stunk, you should have smelled the 50 dollar Satyurday night special dreadnought case I bought from Musician's Friend". That thing stunk more than six months after I bought it. And that was after leaving it exposed to a west facing window in the middle of summer for a couple of weeks.
*LOL*

i got a republic parlor that i just sold because i had an allergic reaction every time i played it. luckily the new owner isn't having that problem. i've gotten a couple beaters from mf that we got lucky with, but i suspect that luck is necessary.

btw, according to the owner of grayson's tune town in glendale, sometimes the glue goes rancid and smells terrible. whatever the issue, i was glad to get one that didn't smell!

Quote by Captaincranky
I don't think China has an equivalent of our OSHA. So, high VOC solvent glues are probably the norm.

To put it another way, "if you thought that case stunk, you should have smelled the 50 dollar Satyurday night special dreadnought case I bought from Musician's Friend". That thing stunk more than six months after I bought it. And that was after leaving it exposed to a west facing window in the middle of summer for a couple of weeks.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I've really been eyeing this Ovation now. What do ya'll think?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--OVAC2079AX

I'd like it to sound good unplugged as well. Do Ovations generally have an issue with that?
Last edited by GogglesVK at Aug 4, 2013,
I'd argue that it probably won't sound as good as an all wood guitar in the same price range unplugged.

But, Ovations have their own sound, which some people prefer.

The Ovation bowl shape does focus the sound and push more of it out the sound hole. But, there is less bass "wasted" through transmission through the body. As a result, playing an Ovation could be interpreted as being a bit less "intimate".

The only reason I bring that up, is because extra sound holes aimed at the performer are in vogue at the moment, and users swear by them.

The electronics package is pretty interesting, with an "exciter" and a compressor.

Ovations are pretty rugged, and I expect you'd have to babysit this less than the aforementioned all wood guitar.

The plugged in point is sort of moot to me. I usually plug in just to touch up the EQ, and and ambiance effects anyway. I have an Ibanez with onboard chorus. The guitar is fair at best, but comes to life when you plug in and turn on the chorus.

The Martin purist set will make fun of you, but who cares.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 5, 2013,
i had that same one. it's an excellent guitar. Cranky's definitely right, it does have it's own unique sound unplugged. it still sounds great, just different from a standard all wood guitar.
having 2 taylors( 1 more custom made one coming in tomorrow finally) and a Martin but, still play my Ovation a lot. it's definitely tougher than the rest( i have to keep it in another room as it keeps picking on the others), one i wouldn't worry about leaving on a stand in the winter as opposed to hiding the more fragile ones in their cases.
you can find used ones for half that price. Ovation QC is pretty consistent so used really isn't that much of a worry.
stepchildusmc, does it have a well balanced with bright sounding highs? that's what the OP was looking for. i like the custom legend, but don't remember it that well.
Quote by Skeet UK
it's an ovation deep bowl. haven't played one that didn't have sparkly highs. not much different than my Taylors in sparkle. it just lacks that 'woodsy' sound. i alternate between lights and medium lights on my 1 remaining deep bowl O.