Currently, I have a Source Audio Orbital Modulator, which is a modulation-only multi-fx. Basically, a lot of chorus, phasers, and flangers with a bunch of parameters. One of the few-if only-problems I have with the pedal is that it only has TWO presets total, though you could access them at all times. Because of all the necessary tweaking, I can't make changes between songs.

So far, I've only seen the Line 6 MM4 and TC Electronic NM-1. From what I read, the Line 6 has got volume drop and switch issues. And as far as I can tell, there's really no way to switch between presets on the Nova modulator.

Unless I'm missing something with the NM-1, is there something that has multiple parameters and presets and the ability to access all of them or a few but have multiple banks?

Try to stay within what I was going for with the "modulation only" stuff. I know about the RP and Boss ME series, but I just don't need the increased bulkiness or effects I won't even use since the pedals going in an FX loop (makes all the distortion, OD, amp, compressor stuff redundant). And my budget is around $300 new so I can be cheap and nab it around $150 used.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 4, 2013,
wait, two presets in total, or two accessible presets at any one time? if the former, strymon mobius has two presets you can access at a time, and one hundred banks you can scroll through.
ideally I wanted something like the MM4 where it had more than 2 to access at any one time. I think the mobius sounds pretty spot on, though. I only use 2 FX per song, and the 2 per bank sounds good. I'll take a close look at it.

I changed the original post to clarify that my current pedal only has two presets total, but are accessible at any one time. I guess I need at least 2 to be accessible at all times, but have the ability to store multiple presets.

Edit: Agghh, the Mobius costs $450. Balls.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
ideally I wanted something like the MM4 where it had more than 2 to access at any one time. I think the mobius sounds pretty spot on, though. I only use 2 FX per song, and the 2 per bank sounds good. I'll take a close look at it.

I changed the original thread to clarify that my current pedal only has two presets total, but are accessible at any one time. I guess I need at least 2 to be accessible at all times, but have the ability to store multiple presets.

Edit: Agghh, the Mobius costs $450. Balls.

You get what you pay for man, seriously. That shit is first class.

Have you had a look at the Eventide Modfactor? They go used for around $300, plus or minus a bit depending on conditional factors, newness etc. I dunno if they do what you want but they are pretty decent. Mobius is king though.
Quote by T7E
You get what you pay for man, seriously. That shit is first class.

Have you had a look at the Eventide Modfactor? They go used for around $300, plus or minus a bit depending on conditional factors, newness etc. I dunno if they do what you want but they are pretty decent. Mobius is king though.

Looked up the eventide. A bit more manageable as far as price goes, and it's got all the parameter's that my old one's got. Doesn't look like it has the ability to switch between presets, though. That feature is also vital.

Edit: Scratch that, it has two FX per bank. didn't know till I read the manual.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Looked up the eventide. A bit more manageable as far as price goes, and it's got all the parameter's that my old one's got. Doesn't look like it has the ability to switch between presets, though. That feature is also vital.

Edit: Scratch that, it has two FX per bank. didn't know till I read the manual.

Yeah was going to say man, I swear it has switches dedicated to flicking through presets
Quote by wilmearz
Eventide modfactor has more presets than you will ever need if it is anything like the timefactor. It will also probably have the highest quality audio of the options though it is the most expensive.

The TC Nova modulator is also a very high quality pedal which has 9 presets and you can have 2 modulations active at the same time. Has a much smaller footprint than the others if space is an issue.

Another option would be a line 6 M9. Awesome quality pedal. Built incredibly sturdily and can be bought second hand for barely more than an MM4. It contains more options than the MM4, I personally think the effects are slightly higher quality and it has tons of presets as well as being a multi effects processor in its own right. Also has true bypass when effects are off so it doesn't suck tone when not in use- I honestly don't understand why people still buy the stand alone line 6 pedals. :P

So I read the Nova manual (these manual things are bloody magical!), and it's got a bit of an odd way to switch through presets (allows you to bypass the tap tempo as a preset scroller, I guess). So it's either this or the M9. Any preference on which-the NM-1 or M9-is better? I know the M9's got a lot more, and in fact might be all I need short of a clean boost (which I've already got). It also looks easier to switch between FX. however, do the effect qualities match up between the NM-1 and M-9?
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 5, 2013,
I don't think bypass will be a problem. I may just try an M9 at a (more or less) nearby guitar center. However, one final thing that comes to my attention: in my fx loop, I'm going to be using at least one boost, a delay, and 4ish mod effects. I'm starting to think I'd be better off getting the RP500 or something similar. Any thoughts on the quality of the RP500's effects or ideas of something similar (for an example, someone on the Duncan forum suggested the Zoom G5). Unless of course the M9 does something like a clean boost.

I'm gonna have a new "help plan my fx loop" thread soon for the full master plan, so I guess I'll continue there
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 5, 2013,
The Mobius is, as mentioned before, seriously worth the money. I was hesitant at first to get it new, but now that I've had it for a while, my doubt is completely gone. Very intuitive and with loads of options. The spacing between the switches is ideal as well. You can easily hit both buttons to switch banks, but you won't hit more than one if you don't want to, unless you're REALLY drunk. :P

The Modfactor is nice as well, but I liked the Mobius better. The only gap for me is that you can't have more than 1 modulation effect on at a time. However, I don't see myself ever buying a modulation pedal again.

A really nice feature for the Mobius is the Pre/post. It has stereo I/O, which can also be used as Pre/post. I run mine in front of the amp as well as in the loop and the preset just saves wether you want it pre or post.

If you can afford it, give it a try, it's great.
I'm sticking to my budget I put in the original post. I gotta try a few things out at a few shops, then I'll start up a new post to get advice on my master plan
Alright, then disregard my post. Looked for a budget, but I couldn't find it, sorry.

The TC stuff generally is really worth the money by the way. I can't vouch for the M9, but they're supposed to be good from what I've heard. There is also an M5 and an M13, in case you didn't know.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Alright, then disregard my post. Looked for a budget, but I couldn't find it, sorry.

The TC stuff generally is really worth the money by the way. I can't vouch for the M9, but they're supposed to be good from what I've heard. There is also an M5 and an M13, in case you didn't know.

My budget is $300 new so I can be cheap and by it used. It was in there, just at the bottom of the original post.

And I'm looking at Line 6's stuff. Just narrowing down what's best in terms of features and price.