Simple question. Been debating getting an Orange 2x12 as of late as getting my 4x12 around with my current set of wheels is going to be a bit of a pain until my band gets a van.

Question being is there THAT much of a difference between the open and closed back variations? The price difference seems to be a fair bit considering one just has an extra panel of wood on the back?

Playing heavy rock (QOTSA to Mastodon/Melvins type stuff) would an open backed cab be a bad idea?
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Quote by qotsakyuss
Simple question. Been debating getting an Orange 2x12 as of late as getting my 4x12 around with my current set of wheels is going to be a bit of a pain until my band gets a van.

Question being is there THAT much of a difference between the open and closed back variations?

yes there, for a huge number of reasons. basically it boils down to closed back cabs usually haveing more punch and low end with sound dispersion being more directional. open back cabs don't have as much low end and tend to be louder because sound dispersion occurs in the front and back of the speaker cab.

Quote by qotsakyuss
The price difference seems to be a fair bit considering one just has an extra panel of wood on the back?

if you are talking about orange then it's a bit more than just 'the extra panel of wood on the back'. orange's open back cabs are made in china, as well as the fact that they are smaller so they can be made with less material. orange's closed back cabs are quite a bit bigger and afaik they're made in GB still. those are the main reasons for the price difference.

Quote by qotsakyuss
Playing heavy rock (QOTSA to Mastodon/Melvins type stuff) would an open backed cab be a bad idea?

no, it is not necessarily a bad idea. in fact if the other guitarist is already playing closed back cabs then you may wanna consider an open back cab to compliment him.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cool thanks man, didn't realise the open backs were Chinese made! Definitely can see that being a big difference maker in the price.

I'm the only guitarist in my band so it wouldn't make as much of a difference in that department really. I'm always open to having different gear to use especially for recording though so having something different may be good. It definitely is a little tricky cutting through with the bass sometimes as we tune fairly low, a brighter cab may be a good idea in that sense.
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
I run an open backed 2x12 on top of a closed back 4x12. It's a good combination. Later, when your band gets a suitable vehicle you could go the same way. If you do, drop me a line and I'll explain how to wire it up properly, there's a trick to doing it so the power is distributed equally amongst all the speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The sound is completely different, try them out and you'll be able to tell quickly which you prefer.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.