Let me explain, i was self taught and so developed my own way of playing. I was able to play anything at any speed. I stopped playing like ten years ago and never touched a guitar again. Just a few days ago i returned to play the guitar and thought i should take the time to correct my technique but i'm having a hard time.

For now i will give two examples of my wrong technique.

The fingers problem:

E: ------------- 12 14 15 14 15 14 15
B: 12 14 15 ------------------------------- 15 14 12

I used to play that with fingers 1, 2 and 3 with an angled left hand while the correct would be fingers 1, 3 and 4 with a straight left hand. Using my wrong technique i still can play that lick at any speed.

The alternate picking problem:

E: ------------- 12 14 15
B: 12 14 15

Following the correct alternate picking you get an upstroke at E 12. But with my wrong technique i would always start with a downstroke everytime i would go down one string. So i would downstroke the E 12 in such example, and trying to upstroke it is giving me some kind of MIND PARALYSIS.
Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 5, 2013,
It's not that you should play that using fingers 1, 2, and 4, but rather, you shouldn't not use your pinky at all. If you find yourself never using your pinky, then I would call that a wrong technique and look into correcting it.

As for the alternate picking thing, that's not a wrong technique, that's economy picking/speed picking, and there's nothing wrong with it.

It's got its advantages and disadvantages with respect to strict alternate picking, I suggest you practice both. I for one tend to economy pick most of the time.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91

As for the alternate picking thing, that's not a wrong technique, that's economy picking/speed picking, and there's nothing wrong with it.
It's got its advantages and disadvantages with respect to strict alternate picking, I suggest you practice both. I for one tend to economy pick most of the time.

Hmm nice. So i conclude there is nothing wrong with my alternate picking. Actually i do both, i do whatever feels more natural in a specific lick. But the economy thing happens most of the time.

It's not that you should play that using fingers 1, 2, and 4, but rather, you shouldn't not use your pinky at all. If you find yourself never using your pinky, then I would call that a wrong technique and look into correcting it.

Considering three notes per string patterns of the natural scale, i always do the correct fingers when it is a half step then a whole step. But when it is like the given example, a whole step then a half one i tend to use the wrong fingers in the higher frets and the correct ones in the lower frets but it is not strict either, again i do whatever feels natural. I.e. if i'm going from a half step-whole step to a whole-half one i will tend to use the correct fingers even in the higher frets, kind of a finger economy.

Another example would be when i'm in the higher frets but in lower strings, in such case i will always use the correct fingers.

I came with those doubts 'cause when i was already retired from the guitar i read a technique book for the first time. "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" which has a good reputation. But according to that book i am all wrong.

Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by BananaJoe
Hmm nice. So i conclude there is nothing wrong with my alternate picking. Actually i do both, i do whatever feels more natural in a specific lick. But the economy thing happens most of the time.

Considering three notes per string patterns of the natural scale, i always do the correct fingers when it is a half step then a whole step. But when it is like the given example, a whole step then a half one i tend to use the wrong fingers in the higher frets and the correct ones in the lower frets but it is not strict either, again i do whatever feels natural. I.e. if i'm going from a half step-whole step to a whole-half one i will tend to use the correct fingers even in the higher frets, kind of a finger economy.

Another example would be when i'm in the higher frets but in lower strings, in such case i will always use the correct fingers.

I came with those doubts 'cause when i was already retired from the guitar i read a technique book for the first time. "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" which has a good reputation. But according to that book i am all wrong.

Finger per fret(1234 in the span of four frets for example) is the most logical and economic strategy that not only makes sense but save you from a lot of weird stretches too so yes its definately the best and speed mechanics for lead guitar is one of the best guitar techniques books to follow.

Having said that though you can check players like Malmsteen who basically just uses his three fingers for everything and the fourth when its absolutely needed to.....he also ascends using economy picking like you and there is no doubt he is a great picker.

Bottom line:I would advise you to follow that book do the exercises diligently like the book says(and use the fingering it advises) but when its time to play if you find comfortable using just three fingers and economy picking do it....if your tone is just right and the end result is what you want to hear then just great....but to make sure record yourself regularly....cause only then when you settle down you can hear what you really sound like and judge yourself.Cheers .
I would say, as someone who is also completely self-taught...

If at any point, the question enters your mind: "Should I correct x technique?" start correcting it then and there. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.
How exactly are you executing the string change motion? Because there is a major difference between doing 2 downstrokes in a row, and actual economy picking.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
How exactly are you executing the string change motion? Because there is a major difference between doing 2 downstrokes in a row, and actual economy picking.

only when chaging strings
Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 6, 2013,
i don't think either of those are "wrong" technique.

i'd be very wary of anyone who tells you you can only play things one way (especially if you can play perfectly fine the way you're playing). technique is there to help most of the people, most of the time, to get as good as possible as quickly and efficiently as possible.

the only real problems with bad technique, if you can play perfectly well using it, are that (a) you could maybe injure yourself if it's putting strain on your fingers/arm/hand and (b) while you're able to play at your current level fine, as you progress and try to play more difficult stuff, the limitations inherent in the poor technique may become more noticeable and it may start to hold you back (but that doesn't sound like the case here).

IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?