Can anyone help me out, looking for a decent tone for my DSL.

Playing fast melodic punk rock.

Heard of people using excess gain for the style, though I want to be able to hear clear changes in the chord progressions. Also I've heard this doesn't make the most of your tube sound.

Want to find some kind of middle ground.

Any help with settings or ideas?

Cheers.
Set everything to 12 o'clock (except volume, obviously) and just screw around with it. Work out what each of the controls add and take away. From that you should be able to shape tones you like fairly easily.
[404]Signature not found
^+1

The deep switch is nice, the mid-shift switch is crap (if you have the new DSL100 you don't have a deep switch you have a resonance knob)

On the ultra gain channels, don't crank the gain, I use mine at 6-7. Depending on the type of punk you play the classic crunch channel might be perfect with a Tubescreamer type boost used (the classic crunch ch with a TS is my favorite sound out of my DSL)

What cab and speakers are you using?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
1960 a 4x12 standard celestion.

Yeh its the new DSL, made in veitnam.

Cheers for that, already sounds more of what I'm looking for.
Last edited by DSL at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by DSL
1960 a 4x12 standard celestion.

Yeh its the new DSL, made in veitnam.

Cheers for that, already sounds more of what I'm looking for.

I'll tell you , if you put new pre amp tubes in it, it will sound really good. The new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and V4, and JJ ecc83 in V2 and V3. This combo works really well in the JCM DSL100 I have. I know they are not the exact same, but they are close.

The EQ on mine is: presence 3, Treble 8, Mids 7, Bass 7, deep switch on, mid-shift off
Ultra channel Lead 1: Vol 4, gain 6
Classic Crunch: Volume to taste, Gain 9
But I also use a Bad Monkey or a GFS Greenie to boost my signal and then the amp really shines.

Do you have any Overdrive pedals you can use as a boost?

I am using a Krank Rev 4x12 cab with Eminence V12's so they are quite different than yours, but it also sounds good through V30's, Greenback and G12h30 type speakers.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sweet..

Yeh, only had this thing for a month, been spending the past 5 years playing on an acoustic before that I played a bit in high school but gave it up straight after.

Just turned 29 and thought it was time I got a real toy, haha.

Dont have an overdrive, I'll have to look into it, definitely want a good sound. Will have to look at new pre amp tubes too.

Playing through a les paul studio epiphone, got it semi cheap 2nd hand, find the treble switch more favorable. Just bought some ernie ball regular slinky strings for it also.

Still kinda blind but I'm sure I'll suss it, cheers for the post.
Get an OD pedal like a Bad Monkey, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Hardwire CM-2 and put the volume max, tone to taste and Gain 0-2. This will boost your signal and make it sound fatter, cut through a mix better and sustain longer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate