Hello People. I am looking for a new amp and I recently got into this brand called Blackstar...haha, I am definitely looking at a new HT-5 Head or a HT-20(used)Head trough a 4x12 cab. I want a smaller tube amp for practicing and maybe jam with a drummer. I play Thrash Metal, but sometimes I play blues and rock. I just read couple of reviews and it doesn't seem to be that good, but some other reviews say that they are nice little Amps so yeah. I made nice boost pedal as a project at school and I must say it sounds very good trough a tube amp, But not trough my Mustang II, Honestly it sounds like crap trough that amp...But it sounds like heaven trough at my friends tube amp haha So is that Brand a bit overrated? Maybe you can suggest another amp in that price range
Yes they are over rated.

where are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If your in the USA look at a used Krank 1980Jr. These are hot rod marshall type amps and are great for thrash, and have a good clean channel also. I have the 20 watt model and it can get really loud and play with a full band with no problems $375 here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The HTs are hybrid amps - they utilize tube and diode clipping to achieve their distortion. I have no idea how the signal path is layed out, but if the diode clipping occurs before the tube clipping, a boost may not sound very good into it.

I doubt that's how it's layed out though.

I'm slightly conflicted in my opinion of them, as far as the small ones go. They're not necessarily a bad idea, but I think Blackstar is a scumbag company for how it markets them. The big HTs I dislike because they're like huge practice amps. The Series One stuff is great, but again, still a company with scumbag marketing practices.

Do I think they're overrated? They very certainly were when they came out, but I feel like the hype has died down a bit lately. It's sort of like a beginner getting a new crappy modeling amp for the first time. Super exciting at the beginning, but after a while, it's like "Oh. I still want something else."
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
The HTs are hybrid amps - they utilize tube and diode clipping to achieve their distortion. I have no idea how the signal path is layed out, but if the diode clipping occurs before the tube clipping, a boost may not sound very good into it.

I doubt that's how it's layed out though.

I'm slightly conflicted in my opinion of them, as far as the small ones go. They're not necessarily a bad idea, but I think Blackstar is a scumbag company for how it markets them. The big HTs I dislike because they're like huge practice amps. The Series One stuff is great, but again, still a company with scumbag marketing practices.

Do I think they're overrated? They very certainly were when they came out, but I feel like the hype has died down a bit lately. It's sort of like a beginner getting a new crappy modeling amp for the first time. Super exciting at the beginning, but after a while, it's like "Oh. I still want something else."

So they aren't that good?? Can you recommend something better in that price range?
Quote by MatejSJ
So they aren't that good?? Can you recommend something better in that price range?

I wouldn't say they are or aren't good. I think they're meh. I would use one if I had to, I wouldn't willingly buy one. A lot of people think they are. You might.

What bands have a tone you'd like to get close to? What is your budget (in your own currency)? Can you link us to a site you can order from so we can see what is available to you, and how much things cost for you?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use a Jet City 50 watt, nails early thrash tones when boosted, shit for cleans though.
There are low watt offering from Jet City that might work for what you're looking for.
Last edited by rob904 at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
I wouldn't say they are or aren't good. I think they're meh. I would use one if I had to, I wouldn't willingly buy one. A lot of people think they are. You might.

What bands have a tone you'd like to get close to? What is your budget (in your own currency)? Can you link us to a site you can order from so we can see what is available to you, and how much things cost for you?

I order all my stuff from Germany from a place called Music Store Professional(I don't know if I can post a link since I am new to this forum, I don't know if I have permission to do so) I am looking for earlier Metallica,Slayer type tone so 80's thrash tone
Quote by Offworld92

I would agree. I like my HT-20 but I didn't know it was a hybrid until months after I bought it. It's not bad but it doesn't blow me out of the water.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hmmm i think we got a misunderstanding here. I believe the HT-1 and the HT-5 use diode clipping and are hybrids while the others (20, 40, 60 and 100) are full tube amps. I own a HT60 and i think it very practical (3 channels) and sounds to my opinion better than a JCM2000 DSL50 with a 2x12 JCM900 cab a friend of mine owns. The price is VERY good for the quality you get so i don't think they are overrated at all.
Quote by MatejSJ
I order all my stuff from Germany from a place called Music Store Professional(I don't know if I can post a link since I am new to this forum, I don't know if I have permission to do so) I am looking for earlier Metallica,Slayer type tone so 80's thrash tone

Similarly priced to the HT-20, I see:

Marshall DSL15 http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Topteile-R-hrenverst-rker/Marshall-DSL-15-H-Head-/art-GIT0025628-000

Orange OR15 http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Topteile-R-hrenverst-rker/Orange-OR15H-Head-15-Watt-RMS/art-GIT0023721-000

Orange Dual Terror http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Topteile-R-hrenverst-rker/Orange-Dual-Terror-Head-/art-GIT0015405-000

I wouldn't say that any of those would be better for thrash than the Blackstar, but they are all certainly nicer amps than the Blackstar IMO.

If you're willing to save up for it, the cheapest head I see that I would genuinely recommend is the Laney Ironheart 60: http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Topteile-R-hrenverst-rker/Laney-IRT60H-Ironheart-Head-60-Watt/art-GIT0022381-000

That will get you wherever you want to go with no problem. It will have enough headroom to play clean with a drummer, and it has enough gain on tap for however heavy you want to go.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Better than the other Terrors for high gain, and cool that it has an FX loop, but limited tonally due to low headroom and single channel. The Dual Terror is 30W and has 2 channels, so I listed that one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd recommend looking up some youtube reviews to get the sound, but from what I've seen from these amps, they have a pretty damn good sound for the price, but they don't do many sounds.
If you are willing to order from Germany what about Thomann?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

2 channels, one crunch (for blues and rock) and one really high gain. Though not necessary you can slap in front a tubescreamer-type pedal to tighten the sound and it should be perfect Thrash amp.

*edit* Oops, I meant to link this one because you wanted small.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 5, 2013,
I own a ht1r combo and its spot on for playing at home. Even turning it on to approx 3 volume wise is enough for me.

The ISF is quite cool but it doesn't make the amp model itself off other amps just gives a general style of tone. The British side sounds nothing like a Marshall to me. I play through a Marshall live but prefer the American side of the ISF.

I recently played the ID series which is more like a modelling amp. Numerous tone types. 2 clean, 2 crunch, 2 overdrive. 6 different tube models. Really changes the sound too.
A decent effects chain. Don't think it beats real pedals but good if you don't own effect pedals.

I had it on OD1, eq about 6-7 on each. 6L6 tube model ISF at about 9 o clock which is on the American side and got a really nice offspring kind of punk sound but also sounded nice playing more metal chug riffs. Never used the tubes before so can't compare authenticity but it sounded good to me.

turn it more towards British side, maybe about 2-3 o clock with EL34 tubes gave a good Marshall style lead tone. Much better than the ht1 does.

Maybe check them amps out, I am considering getting one. They sounded awesome IMO
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Last edited by nightwalker903 at Aug 5, 2013,
I got a HT-1 fairly recently for bedroom practising, can get a decent thrash tone at low volumes from that and its very good value in Europe, not sure I'd buy higher wattage HT head for gigging or band practice though. One of my band mates has a Series One 200 that does excellent high gain metal and even nice meaty rock crunch as well as thrash tones. Unfortunately they're on the pricey side. On the other hand I did once try a friends ID:Series stack which can best be compared to an old Marshall MG Series. So Blackstars in my experience can be either fantastic or terrible with no middle ground depending on the model.
Which ever amp you choose for jamming I'd say; pretend you have double your budget > look what amp would suit you in that price range if new > try to find it second hand within your actual budget.
Guitar:
Jackson RR3//Vintage VS6
Digitech EX7 //Bad Monkey//Digidelay
MXR EVH Phase 90//Black Label Chorus
Peavey 6505 Head//Crate G412SL 4X12 Cab

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Peavey Tour 700 Head//410 TVX 4X10 Cab
Hear My Band
in my experience, thomann is far better than musicstore. won't buy from musicstore again.

jet city is the thing, really. the 50 watt head (or even the 22) should do the tones you want for well within your budget. pick up the harley benton g212 vintage cabinet while you're at it (and a speaker cable if you don't already have one) and you'll be set.

they take boosts well. I'd say to pick up a bad monkey or something like that when you're at it, but you said you've already made a boost pedal, so sounds like you're set.

EDIT: if you play a fair bit of blues and rock, and also mean earlier thrash (from the 1980s), the traynor ycv50b on thomann might also be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2013,
Yeah...I am looking at that Jet City 22Head. And it's nice my question is...It can take pedals fine?
I've got the 50 watt and it takes pedals well, yeah. Far as i'm aware they both have the same preamp, but don't quote me on that.

if you can stretch, though, it might be worth going for the 50 watt. more headroom, and the bigger power tubes and transformers etc. tend to sound better for heavier music (though i haven't tried the 22 and it may well do heavier music just fine). Though I'm guessing the 22 is a bit smaller and lighter etc. if that's a concern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've got the 50 watt and it takes pedals well, yeah. Far as i'm aware they both have the same preamp, but don't quote me on that.

if you can stretch, though, it might be worth going for the 50 watt. more headroom, and the bigger power tubes and transformers etc. tend to sound better for heavier music (though i haven't tried the 22 and it may well do heavier music just fine). Though I'm guessing the 22 is a bit smaller and lighter etc. if that's a concern.

According to Youtubez it can. Its in a mix but its still clear the amp does high gain well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0n4Kf5d3AA

Interesting video about different preamp tubes by the way.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by PowerEngine
hmmm i think we got a misunderstanding here. I believe the HT-1 and the HT-5 use diode clipping and are hybrids while the others (20, 40, 60 and 100) are full tube amps. I own a HT60 and i think it very practical (3 channels) and sounds to my opinion better than a JCM2000 DSL50 with a 2x12 JCM900 cab a friend of mine owns. The price is VERY good for the quality you get so i don't think they are overrated at all.

Nope, all the HT are hybrids. There is no way they can achieve the levels of gain with only 2 12ax7's.

The JCM2000 you have played through must have had old tubes, something was wrong with it, the way you eq'd it or the speakers in the cab were shite. I never liked Marshall that much, but my DSL 100 is a really nice amp with the right tubes in it. With out good tubes it can turn into a buzzy/fizzy mess. But it is leagues above the HT series in build quality and tone.

I have tried almost all of the HT line and they are mediocre at best The series 1 amps are pretty good, but I will not support their lying company at all.

TS I'd go with a Jet City for sure, one of the best bang for buck amps around
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 5, 2013,
^ the ht100 has another preamp tube so might be all-tube, i guess. though i still suspect it's a hybrid, just slightly more tube than the other ones.

Quote by MaaZeus
According to Youtubez it can. Its in a mix but its still clear the amp does high gain well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0n4Kf5d3AA

Interesting video about different preamp tubes by the way.

yeah, i mean obviously it can do it well, that's what it's aimed at. I just meant that the 50 will likely do it better, everything else being equal. plus you might start to run out of headroom for the cleans on the 22, as well.

but yeah I mean from that video (nice video ) it sounds like it does metal pretty well, so if being light, small and cheap are the main concerns then i'm sure it'd be fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the ht100 has another preamp tube so might be all-tube, i guess. though i still suspect it's a hybrid, just slightly more tube than the other ones.

There is no way that adding a 12au7/ecc82 to 2 12ax7/ecc83's will do that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well it might do i suppose if it's not really two distinct separate channels. i mean using one for the PI (i'm assuming it'd be a long-tail pair) would leave four gain stages for the preamp, which i'm guessing is just about enough.

but i agree with you, odds are it's still a hybrid, just slightly less of a hybrid than the others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?