Poll: Would you live on a boat?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you live on a boat?
Yes, I would love to
8 20%
Yes, but not permanently/all year round
10 25%
No, I need constant internet access
14 35%
I already live on a boat
2 5%
Floating potato
6 15%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 2
For a long time it's been a dream of mine to live on a boat. There's something about the lifestyle that appeals to me much more than living in some boring old house that stays in one place.

Of course it comes with both advantages and disadvantages- buying a boat will cost you much less than a house, but it will normally entail more annual upkeep. You have the freedom to move around, but that means making sure you have enough water, fuel, gas, and space to store your poop.

So, my question to you is: would you be able do it, pit? Would you abandon life on land to live on a river/canal/the sea, sometimes miles from civilization? (although why anyone would want to go that far north in the UK is beyond me)
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'd consider it if I liked seafood/fishing. Why would you buy a boat if you didn't plan to fish for your food?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I wouldn't want to live there forever. I want a boat so I can use it for vacations and stuff
cat
Definitely not. I live for life's pleasures, not for the blue ocean.

Plus thunderstorms are a bitch.
What if you lived on a boat that was atop a trailer in some parking lot?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

This is something I approve.
Quote by theogonia777

Why not make a trailer into a boat?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's quite a large community of people living on narrowboats in Hertford because the Lea, Mimram and Beane all flow through here. It seems like quite a lovely way to spend your summers. I can't imagine how it really works though when you have a job and a life since you'd have to keep mooring in the same place every day anyway and at that point the only difference between your boat and a house is that it rocks at night and you have to get rid of your own faeces
i get sea sick

i have a phobia of getting sea sick

being anxious makes me more sea sick

it's a vicious cycle. boats are dumb
Quote by sam b
What type of boat?

Quote by BladeSlinger
Why not make a trailer into a boat?

Why would you put your boat on another boat?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I have a cabin cruiser that we live on most of the summer. We have satellite tv and high speed internet. All the comforts of home! Plus no grass to mow. When I retire that will be my only home.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by sam b
What type of boat?

?

Any of them. Assume any boat offering conditions suitable to live in for extended periods of time.

Although the narrowboat is my particular preference.
🙈 🙉 🙊
PRO TIP: For those of you not familiar with boating regularly, there's a lot to know and there are a lot of chores. Bodies of water can be deadly if you don't know what you're doing.

That said, yeah, I'd do it for a summer.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by zeek7pc
I have a cabin cruiser that we live on most of the summer. We have satellite tv and high speed internet. All the comforts of home! Plus no grass to mow. When I retire that will be my only home.

What body of water?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I get seasick but the appeal of mooring up outside a pub for the day is appealing.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I get seasick but the appeal of mooring up outside a pub for the day is appealing.

Like a proper pirate. I bet all those Somalian pirates don't moor at a pub like real pirates.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yes, provided the boat was large enough.

People who are worried about not having access to the internet are technologically impaired...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by willT08
at that point the only difference between your boat and a house is that it rocks at night and you have to get rid of your own faeces

My grandparents actually have a narrowboat and I went on it for like.. 4/5/6 weeks at a time with them every summer when I was younger

...your shit goes into the canal when you flush, you don't "get rid of it" youself
Quote by sam b
My grandparents actually have a narrowboat and I went on it for like.. 4/5/6 weeks at a time with them every summer when I was younger

...your shit goes into the canal when you flush, you don't "get rid of it" youself

Nope that's illegal now, it either goes into a big holding tank which you have to pump out, or into a small box which you have to carry to shore and empty at approved disposal facilities.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Nope that's illegal now, it either goes into a big holding tank which you have to pump out, or into a small box which you have to carry to shore and empty at approved disposal facilities.

Well they still do it, and I bet thousands of others do too, it'll cost way too much to take the boat out of the water and have all that work done to it

(if what you're saying is even true.. proof? )
Sam lives in the frozen north. No laws bind such a man from shitting where he pleases.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by sam b
Well they still do it, and I bet thousands of others do too, it'll cost way too much to take the boat out of the water and have all that work done to it

(if what you're saying is even true.. proof? )

So you just throw your poop in the water? Gross, man.
Quote by The_Casinator

Yeah, I literally poo out of the window
Quote by sam b
Yeah, I literally poo out of the window

The only right way to do it with people nearby.
Quote by entity0009
For a long time it's been a dream of mine to live on a boat. There's something about the lifestyle that appeals to me much more than living in some boring old house that stays in one place.

Of course it comes with both advantages and disadvantages- buying a boat will cost you much less than a house, but it will normally entail more annual upkeep. You have the freedom to move around, but that means making sure you have enough water, fuel, gas, and space to store your poop.

So, my question to you is: would you be able do it, pit? Would you abandon life on land to live on a river/canal/the sea, sometimes miles from civilization? (although why anyone would want to go that far north in the UK is beyond me)

This is my plan for my incoming mid-life crisis.

I wanna buy a boat. Nothing too fancy, but good enough. And just...swim around in the Mediterranean. Shit man, that's the life.

However, I have no idea who much upkeeping a boat would cost and how much boat you get for your money.
Quote by The_Casinator

Tell it to the whales...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i would 100% live on a houseboat. i've actually been planning for it for a while, there's a few harbours here in Mississauga that can handle a good sized houseboat. I would way, way WAY rather live in a $150,000 houseboat on the lakefront over a $300,000-$400,000 (a slightly smaller-than-average place in these parts) house in a neighbourhood i probably dont want to live in.

like i mean look at this. i'll take this over a shitty little condo any day. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Sumerset-18x81-101786685
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Or this, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Sumerset-16-x-88-Houseboat-101813527 i mean after a long day of work how amazing would it be to come home and this is where you live, on the water in a peaceful marina? unreal
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
No Way
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Philip_pepper
This is my plan for my incoming mid-life crisis.

I wanna buy a boat. Nothing too fancy, but good enough. And just...swim around in the Mediterranean. Shit man, that's the life.

However, I have no idea who much upkeeping a boat would cost and how much boat you get for your money.

I've been doing research myself as it's now become a financially realistic scenario for me. Not so sure about seagoing, but a canal narrowboat suitable for living in is anything from £20k upwards.
🙈 🙉 🙊
My older brother was talking about doing this after he gets out of the military, but I doubt he would.

I personally, say no way. I can't swim because that scares me for whatever reason, and boats just scare me as well, like.. yeah I don't know why. I was even afraid of the navy museum in Texas

I would rather live where I grew up, even though I would have to drive 1-3 hours to work, there are lots of drugs around here, and just weird people. But I could avoid those easily, except for my friend because he is my friend(I think he just got in trouble with the Baptist church though, for hitting the youth group person in the eye and bringing a knife to church).

But, I want to have an awesome elvish room, and want my possible future kids to grow up in the country, and experience the nice community out here. Like with the recent fire, they took in people's animals and people were ready to help the red cross if needed

So no, I will not live on a boat. I would be surprised if I ever step on one again.
I sail quite a lot, and I wouldn't want to live on a boat. Loads of stuff to do all the time on a boat, if you think there are a lot of chores in a house you would baulk at the jobs you need to do on a boat. The only advantage is sailing and feeling free. Great, in moderation though.
]
Quote by entity0009
I've been doing research myself as it's now become a financially realistic scenario for me. Not so sure about seagoing, but a canal narrowboat suitable for living in is anything from £20k upwards.

Why would you want to live on one btw?

Have you holidayed on one (for a relatively long period of time) before?
Quote by sam b
Why would you want to live on one btw?

Have you holidayed on one (for a relatively long period of time) before?

Not exactly a long period of time, it was just under 2 weeks, but yes. I can't really put my finger on what it is that I'm attracted to, but there was something about it that appealed to me. The mobility of it is another aspect that appeals to me.

I'm not some misguided idiot who's thinking "oh it's cheaper to live on a boat let me go and doss about for the rest of my years what an idyllic life". I've done extensive research into costs, both single-payment and recurring, maintenance budgeting, all the necessary legal shit, research into different types of boat, restrictions, electrical systems, heating systems, even different toilet systems. I'm not just doing this on a whim.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Page 1 of 2