Hi,just picked up guitar at age 61, and i could use a bit of help here. If i play a two bar intro, does it count as part of the 12 bar and just play the other ten or do i still play the full twelve. And on what note should i finish the intro? (Assuming a I IV V progression in G) thanks
Last edited by Thetonys at Aug 5, 2013,
Moved to the proper forum, I hope.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Hmm, imma give this to MT ...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The extra first two bars would be the end of the previous 12-bar section, so they wouldn't count. If you started with the V, maybe going up to it with a chromatic approach, then went back to start the 12-bar bit with the I, it should sound good. Hope that helps a bit!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
In all the 12 bar blues that I know they repeat the 12 bars over and over. The songs start on bar one and continue until bar 12 then repeat.

Of course there is no rule. You could definitely add a two bar intro. I V or I IV or some such variation would probably work well enough. Maybe even I bVII. Or maybe I V - IV I over two bars...the possibilities are pretty broad as to what you could do and there is a lot of freedom.

Most of the 12bar blues numbers I know start straight into the 12bar blues from bar 1.
Si
Typically, if a song has a two bar intro, you would play the two bars and then start the 12 bar form. These two bars would act as the last two bars of a 12 bar. However, if you have a 4 bar intro, it is common to count those as the first four bars of the form (or the I chord), so you would come in on the IV.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website