Page 1 of 2
Yup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
98% of the time, the other 2% I may use a wah or a bit of chorus but that's it. I do like playing around with pedals and do have a few, just don't use them in the band I'm in at the moment.

+ 1
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Peavey Vypyr

Even though I do have a wah pedal that I play around with.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
back in the day they didn't have amps either. or guitars for that matter.

just keepin' it real. and keepin' my tone pure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sometimes, if that's what a situation calls for. Normally I run like six pedals, though. Like six pedals and a tuner.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I play it straight through most of the time.
Also, many 60s electric blues players used treble boosts and early forms of fuzz.
I have used FX pedals very little.

I have been playing for 19yrs. Most of the time I just go Guitar>amp though when I was a kid I did have a DOD Grunge pedal I used for my dirt because my amp sucked
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I do mostly, only a Wah-pedal, but not very often (I do have one other pedal, but that is just to play around with really)
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
Most of the time, I have a boost pedal for leads and chorus for cleans. And a tuner pedal, but I mean, that's a tuner
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Back in the day there were no pedals or amps or cables or guitars. I would think playing it straight would mean on an acoustic if you insist on fetishizing the "old blues guys."

As Mind Kill said, blues players were among the very first to start experimenting with pedals, distortion, etc., so this might be a case of nostalgic revisionism.
Who even needs a guitar, anyway? Only nyckelharpa is real. Blues? gtfo with your fancy city instruments, the One True Genre(tm) is clearly Sacred Harp shape-note singing. And why are we using computers? They don't have any soul. I should make this post via semaphore. Semaphores have such a rustic charm to them.

(Foreal doe, nyckelharpa is badass)

E:
Quote by HoneyboyHart
...smaller amps that you can turn up to get a great tone...

Quote by HoneyboyHart
...smaller amps... a great tone...

lol
Last edited by Cavalcade at Aug 5, 2013,
I play with minimal pedals (Boss NS-2, Cs-3 and Ch-1 and a Green Rhino) but they're not on constantly. Once I buy a delay pedal, I'll be done on my board. I don't get how some guys have like 20-30 pedals when they don't use them most of the time.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Sometimes I play with none, sometimes with four or five going at once. It's all about getting the sound you want, however you have to achieve that end. I doubt the delta blues guys would have turned their noses up at a huge pedalboard and rack setup, as they were musicians, and liked to experiment as much as any of us.
I find all the options pedals offer quite dizzying. I like simple. Guitar. Cord. Amp (built in reverb).

Pure ear honey.
Most of the bands I have played in have required some sort of effects usage. Having said that I do regularly go straight to the amp at home - mainly because it's sitting there with a tuner on the cab and my pedal board is stashed in another room. And I'm lazy.

Even when a few friends and I jammed out some basic blues stuff a few years back (played a couple of local bars for kicks and beer) I was using an AC30 so had a TS9 and a DD-3 in front of it just to fatten the tone when required.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
I doubt the delta blues guys would have turned their noses up at a huge pedalboard and rack setup, as they were musicians, and liked to experiment as much as any of us.

Basically this, it's ridiculous that some people think their playing or tone is superior simply because they only play "straight in"
not me. i like a little bit of depth to my sound my delay is subtle and almost always on.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I did for a while when i first got a tube amp. Really taught me how to use the volume and tone controls, now im one of those knob fiddlers lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Someone came up to me a few years back at a gig glanced down at my pedal board (consisting at the time of overdrive, distortion, wah, chorus, delay, eq and flanger) and said something along the lines of "Hendrix didn't need that shit..."

Considering Hendrix was a forward thinking innovator who was constantly searching for ways to broaden his palette of tones and musical texture I somewhat doubt the veracity of such a statement.
Quote by Slap-happy
Someone came up to me a few years back at a gig glanced down at my pedal board (consisting at the time of overdrive, distortion, wah, chorus, delay, eq and flanger) and said something along the lines of "Hendrix didn't need that shit..."

Considering Hendrix was a forward thinking innovator who was constantly searching for ways to broaden his palette of tones and musical texture I somewhat doubt the veracity of such a statement.

That guy is pretty much wrong- even his simplest known pro rigs had 3-5 pedals.

http://www.guitargeek.com/jimi-hendrix-woodstock-1969-guitar-rig-and-gear-setup-diagram/

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-roger-mayer-secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/202-jimi-hendrix-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm fully aware of the gear that Hendrix used (and some that have claimed his patronage), it just seems that there's such an emphasis on vintage gear, fx loops, true bypass and so-called "purity of tome" that people tend to forget about the innovators that were trying this stuff out 30+ years ago.
^ +1

the old guys didn't use basic gear because they chose to, they used it because they had no choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Come to think of it, it's not just a question of cost but also one of the birth of the market?

Hendrix used 3-5 pedals...but how many options were there on the market at that time? We can look around and find a hundred pedal makers, each with at least one version of each pedal type out there, if not more.

But in Hendrix's day, there would only be a fraction of such gear available, and most of it pricey. In that context, Hendrix's pedalboard might have seemed...cluttered and extravagant.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by HoneyboyHart
I think with the trend to smaller amps that you can turn up to get a great tone... this approach can work more and more.
I think that this trend has only been going on for... say 60 odd years now.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Come to think of it, it's not just a question of cost but also one of the birth of the market?

Hendrix used 3-5 pedals...but how many options were there on the market at that time? We can look around and find a hundred pedal makers, each with at least one version of each pedal type out there, if not more.

But in Hendrix's day, there would only be a fraction of such gear available, and most of it pricey. In that context, Hendrix's pedalboard might have seemed...cluttered and extravagant.

Exactly. 5 pedals at the time was like half of the available market. He was plugging into organ speakers for the chorusing effect simply because there wasn't any other option. At his later concerts he was making fake delay by turning his volume knob down while playing the same notes in quick succession. The idea that he had a minimalist approach to pedals and effects is preposterous. He was the original gear junkie.

Quote by al112987
I think that this trend has only been going on for... say 60 odd years now.

Shhhh. Reality isn't relevant here. Amps were always 50 watts or more up until 2008 and all the old blues guys played straight into the amp with 50's guitars for purity of tone. Not because that's all that was available.
Yep, quite often. I only have a Vox Wah that gets seldom use, and a Boss Blues Driver. I plan on adding something else to my board, after all I built it to hold more. But to be frank, for what I like to play, and what I typically write, my Eggnater does 70% of it straight, the boss fills out the harder stuff.

I have yet to write anything using the wah, and I don't play anyone else's stuff that uses it. I just have it in case I ever want to learn "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" to play at church one day. Most of the time, I use it to get my cats to look completely confused.
Page 1 of 2