I am a new person in the world of guitarplay. And I have not much knowledge about some (most) amplifiers. I am using an accoustic torque amplitude to play some clean guitar songs and intro's. But I am thinking about buying an amplifier which is perfect for playing some raw distorted black metal and (funeral)doom metal. So now I wonder which amp's are the most suitable for this kind of music. It doesn't have to be perfect and flawless because I am going for not to expensive and secondhand. Just the right direction.
Many thanks!
For black metal...the cheapiest shitty amps you can find, no lie. Low quality is the way to go.

If that's not enough for you...something with loooot's of treble, turn off the bass, if it doesn't feel like the eternal wrath of satan's erect penis is ripping your ear drums apart, you're doing it wrong. If you like Burzum, Varg uses Peavey 6505 amps, or at least he used to. Just lot's of gain and lot's of treble. A Boss Metal Zone might not be a bad idea. Just a typical high gain amp with the right settings will do the job.
Any high gain amp will do, maybe metal zone (yes, the often hated metal zone) pedal added in the mix for some raw solid state sound. From tube 6505 or Engl Powerball (immortal uses one) to solid state Randalls. I think it doesnt matter that much, playing is the important part.

For funeral doom the amp needs to be able for some thundering bass. I would think similar rig the stoner bands use, just without (or lighter) the fuzz pedals and more gain. But im just guessing here. As much as i listen funeral doom i havent thought about the rig much.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 5, 2013,
Thanks to your sig, I remembered the Dimarzio X2N, perfect pickup for black metal, also a widely hated bit of guitar tech.
Quote by Velcro Man
Thanks to your sig, I remembered the Dimarzio X2N, perfect pickup for black metal, also a widely hated bit of guitar tech.

Its also a death metal classic. Pushes amps really nicely. No matter what guitar snobs say, I love it what it does to my sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Its also a death metal classic. Pushes amps really nicely. No matter what guitar snobs say, I love it what it does to my sound.

Did you know it has a bit of a following with country players? I always thought it sounded pretty damn good, though I like a lot of treble. Almost got a Peavey T-60 with an X2N, but decided against it...seems to kinda kill the point of the guitar. They also replaced the neck pickup with a gibson...makes me sad.
If you are on a budget then I second on the solid state Randalls, should cover your grounds for both black metal and doom.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Are you going for a classic black metal sound (Darkthrone, Burzum etc.), or a modern black metal sound (new Satyricon, new Naglfar etc.)?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 5, 2013,
Ampeg VH140C - or the Crate equivalent, the VH130C
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

This is the only real option
If you're going for old-school black metal tone, just about any high-gain amp will work. Just crank the gain, turn up the treble, scoop the mids, and bury the bass. "Metal" distortion pedals can also work well. The old bands did not give a f@ck about good tone.

However, I listen to a lot of newer black metal that uses surprisingly great tone. Check out Windir (their last couple albums), Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone, Imperium Dekadenz, Lunar Aurora, and hell, Dimmu Borgir also has good tone. The last three Immortal albums contain some of my favorite tones of any genre as well.

Black metal is much more about proper phrasing, scales, dynamics and chord progressions -- you get that stuff right, it's going to sound "black" even with a beautiful tone.

My 6505+ does a damn good job, considering I play kind of a hybrid death/black metal style.
^ Agree with all of that. Old school black metal, get a Marshall Valvestate or a Peavey Transtube. New black metal, you're going to want a 6505, or a Fireball or a Dual Rec just like most other kinds of modern metal. I'm partial to new Naglfar and Dimmu Borgir (though not really black metal) tones myself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by KailM
If you're going for old-school black metal tone, just about any high-gain amp will work. Just crank the gain, turn up the treble, scoop the mids, and bury the bass. "Metal" distortion pedals can also work well. The old bands did not give a f@ck about good tone.

Ironically, not giving a f00k about typical good toanz they managed to great some of the most beautiful soundscapes ever. No, really, I do consider stuff like Strid relaxing and beautiful despite its abrasiveness. It just... works.

Did you know it has a bit of a following with country players? I always thought it sounded pretty damn good, though I like a lot of treble.

Really? What could country players get out of X2N? Its loud and has out of control output, hence why it worked well for Motörhead, Death and some others.

I was thinking about getting one of the Bugera lines...and they're affordable.

Being Peavey clones they certainly sound good, especially after tubeswap but I'd advise against them unless you are prepared for potential warranty lottery. Bugera is notorious for having poor quality control, and its a draw of luck if you get a good one. Forums are also littered with reports about problems. If things have gotten better lately, I have no idea but they managed to build quite a reputation during the last couple of years.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Really? What could country players get out of X2N? Its loud and has out of control output, hence why it worked well for Motörhead, Death and some others.

It has a nice clean sound, it pushes amps, but not so much that it makes it heavy. Couple that with the searing treble and it's great for lead country playing. Not pop country, but more like bluegrassy, rock country stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
Actually the Crate version is the GX130C

Quote by Another forum
And with the Crates, the GX130C is basically a carbon copy of the VH140C. The VTX and GTX amps have the same preamp as the Ampeg, just with a more powerful power amp. The Excallibur and GT heads are high gain amps, but I think they're a tweaked version of the VH140C.
If you can find any of these, I highly, highly recommend one. They can be had in the US for cheap, the only problem is tracking one down. Thunderous bass, raw, crushing distortion, and a surprisingly (almost JC like) good clean channel. The best example I could show you of what one sounds like is to just look up any live video of Dying Fetus. The guitarist has used them on just about every recording they have ever done, and it's his sole live amp.

Misery Index also used them up until someone made a clone of it in the form of a preamp pedal called the Amptweaker TightMetal pedal. Now they use that live. (I own both the pedal and the actual amp).

I don't recommend going down the Bugera rabbit hole, though. It's easy to be lured in by their low prices but just remember that they had to cut corners somewhere, it just wasn't in the tone.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Ironically, not giving a f00k about typical good toanz they managed to great some of the most beautiful soundscapes ever. No, really, I do consider stuff like Strid relaxing and beautiful despite its abrasiveness. It just... works.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I absolutely ADORE the tone on old Immortal, Enslaved, Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, etc. albums. It absolutely fits the music to a tee. It's just that most people would call that 'bad' tone. Well, it's bad if you want to play top 40 pop. If you want to bring the darkness, hehe -- it's perfect!
You might as well get a Peavey 6505-series amp; new or used. It will do the heaviest of the heavy stuff, and it will also sound better than a lot of the commonly-used amps for Black Metal. Also, given your location, the variety of amps available might be somewhat limited.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
peavey vypyr tube 60 :P
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
BTW - Dying Fetus is not Black Metal, they're death metal, it is a big genre difference.

The (now called traditional) black metal band that I auditioned for 15 years ago had the rhythm guitarist running Mesa Dual Rectifier stack on a crunch setting and pummeling the front end with two (yes, two) Boss Metal Zone II pedals both producing something akin to crunch distortion (not too extreme). He was somehow eqing these to work together (MZ has param mid eq) so they were not smearing as much...

It sounded great, most evil tone ever
Quote by MaaZeus
Being Peavey clones they certainly sound good, especially after tubeswap but I'd advise against them unless you are prepared for potential warranty lottery. Bugera is notorious for having poor quality control, and its a draw of luck if you get a good one. Forums are also littered with reports about problems. If things have gotten better lately, I have no idea but they managed to build quite a reputation during the last couple of years.

Their first run of amps they had, there was some connectors inside that weren't soldered and had problems with them. Since then Bugera now solders all the connectors and from what people are saying is they run great now.
Many thanks for the replies. I have a direction now.

About the style of black metal I want to play: Modern. The path of depressive black metal mostly.
I want to play just for myself (no recording) so I think I can start withe high gain (black metal) and/or the thundering bass (Funeral doom)
Edit: What about Fender Mustang II and Marchall MG15CFX?

It's nice to see people here are this helpful.
Last edited by heidenserf at Aug 7, 2013,
Quote by heidenserf
Many thanks for the replies. I have a direction now.

About the style of black metal I want to play: Modern. The path of depressive black metal mostly.
I want to play just for myself (no recording) so I think I can start withe high gain (black metal) and/or the thundering bass (Funeral doom)
Edit: What about Fender Mustang II and Marchall MG15CFX?

It's nice to see people here are this helpful.

id stay away from the mg at all costs and also any fender amp for any type of metal. check out the peavy vypyr line. the tube 60s are very nice and go for $250 used. if not grab for a 30 for $100.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by diabolical
BTW - Dying Fetus is not Black Metal, they're death metal, it is a big genre difference.

The (now called traditional) black metal band that I auditioned for 15 years ago had the rhythm guitarist running Mesa Dual Rectifier stack on a crunch setting and pummeling the front end with two (yes, two) Boss Metal Zone II pedals both producing something akin to crunch distortion (not too extreme). He was somehow eqing these to work together (MZ has param mid eq) so they were not smearing as much...

It sounded great, most evil tone ever

Yes, they are. I am incredibly aware of this. The only reason I brought them up is because it's the best demo of the sound. If he wants everything from traditional black metal to funeral doom, he needs some bassy, raw, and full distortion -- and the amp that Dying Fetus uses checks all those boxes and can be had for cheap.

Edit: I own one and use it as my main amp for black metal -- and it does it very well.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 7, 2013,
Quote by Velcro Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UL9cHYsow NILE disagree about Fenders

Im pretty sure the amps are not Niles but Guitar worlds. But I could be wrong.

About the style of black metal I want to play: Modern. The path of depressive black metal mostly. I want to play just for myself (no recording) so I think I can start withe high gain (black metal) and/or the thundering bass (Funeral doom) Edit: What about Fender Mustang II and Marchall MG15CFX?

Instead of MG look for used Marshall Valvestate 8080 or VS100R combo (or alternatively 8100 head and some cheap cab to go with it). Ampeg/Crate mentioned earlier would be better but its harder to find where as Valvestates are everywhere. Cheaper and MUCH better than MG, especially the music you play. Honestly, the MG15 is a small bedroom practice box with puny ass speaker, and I would not go below 12" for metal. It just sounds wrong, bedroom levels or no.

For Depressive Black metal I would look for classic Black metal gear anyway. The genre, sound and all, is related to Burzum and Strid.

*edit* Heh, I guess I have to say now that when we went and say "any high gain amp" we kind of expected some kind of quality level and MG is just crappy and MG15 is the turdiest of MG craps. Im pretty sure some norwegian band would have happily used one for their albums back then but you can do so much better for same money.

Their first run of amps they had, there was some connectors inside that weren't soldered and had problems with them. Since then Bugera now solders all the connectors and from what people are saying is they run great now.

Thats related to the catching on fire thing. Infinium serie had its own share of problems. Interesting tech but I guess they pushed it out bit too early. Hopefully they have fixed it because it really does look interesting.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I absolutely ADORE the tone on old Immortal, Enslaved, Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, etc. albums. It absolutely fits the music to a tee. It's just that most people would call that 'bad' tone. Well, it's bad if you want to play top 40 pop. If you want to bring the darkness, hehe -- it's perfect!

I never implied you saying otherwise, just stating the obvious (for us). How could you not love how Strid - End Of Life sounds like.
Well actually... I guess a lot of people couldnt...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 7, 2013,
Actually TS it would be useful if we knew your budget, your playing enviroment (home, band, both) and where you live. Not that we would stalk you but in case you live in US people here have hunted down some good deals before.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 7, 2013,
I hate that people always just run in and say shit like, "Just get any shitty solid state amp for black metal."

Hahahaha.

Anyways. If you have a budget of around $600-$700 used, I recommend the Laney VH100R. It's got some really great cleans and it has a pretty versatile gain channel. I play some black metal, but I play a lot of funeral doom stuff like the band Loss. It's the perfect amp. Especially for atmospheric black metal. The clean channel is awesome. I can nail most Agalloch studio tones with the amp. I love them.
Thanks for the additional comments. I have made a list with potential amps.
My budget will be about 200 euro's. but there is enough nice secondhand stuff.
I have discovered that the funeral doom sound is possible on a lot of amplifiers
(btw my playing enviroment will be home)
Last edited by heidenserf at Aug 9, 2013,
VS8100 head won't do BM well, I have one and can say that as far as it goes would be death metal but with some serious push in the form of overdrive up front. I used Sansamp TRI-OD. I actually played with the drummer of Dying Fetus and he was swearing by those Ampeq's as well so might be worth investigating.

200 euro might be a bit on the light side. Don't know what to recommend at that budget. Maybe Marshall Valvestate won't be a bad idea or maybe one of the small Blackstar 5 watt tube amps with a pedal up front.
Quote by diabolical
VS8100 head won't do BM well, I have one and can say that as far as it goes would be death metal but with some serious push in the form of overdrive up front. I used Sansamp TRI-OD. I actually played with the drummer of Dying Fetus and he was swearing by those Ampeq's as well so might be worth investigating.

200 euro might be a bit on the light side. Don't know what to recommend at that budget. Maybe Marshall Valvestate won't be a bad idea or maybe one of the small Blackstar 5 watt tube amps with a pedal up front.

Odd. I never felt the need to boost my 8100. Gain maxed it has just the right amount for classic death and black metal. I only boosted it for modern chugging stuff, with the gain turned down too... this is more or less the sound i am getting with mine

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTwl8AmG8gQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeTwl8AmG8gQ

Ampegs are next to impossible to find in europe. Dunno about crates.

TS, with your budget I suggest you buy Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75 modeling combo. Its a good practice amp for all kinds of metal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 10, 2013,