Hi folks. I currently play in a two-piece band and we're going to be gigging very soon. Smaller venues at the moment, no glastonbury headliners just yet. My sound is either modulated clean, overdriven (fulltone ocd), or big muff fuzz. Anyway i'll cut to the quick.

I need some help beefing up my guitar sound through my current setup, ie. adding more bass quite simply. Usually i'd not have much of a problem with this as most amps we play with in the rehearsal studios always have very adjustable tone settings and i can get enough bass without bother. But my home amp is a voxac30, well actually it's an ac30vr just now as my ac30 got a bit waterdamaged and i haven't got round to getting it fixed just yet. And as most people know vox amps aren't renowned for their bottom end.

There are quite a few things i think could work. I'm still very new to amps in general so feel free to call me an idiot. I wont't be offended! Obviously using my bridge pickup instead of the neck, and adding in more treble on the amp is an option, but of course that changes my core tone which i don't really want to do. I could get another amp more full on the bass and play with them both. I do have a 6 band EQ pedal in my board that i've tried to work around, but i'm having a bit of trouble with that. It slightly overdrives my clean tone, and creates a bit of a volume drop in my big muff which i can't get rid of without getting that "you shouldn't have put the volume past 7 oclock because it sounds like shit" sound if i don't have the EQ settings quite low.

I'm bloody skint at the moment so perhaps suggesting i buy a wall of marshalls won't be the best comment. But any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Perhaps and octave pedal could help getting desired results?

Ideally id suggest you get an amp that can provide good bottom end and complement your core AC30 sound. Imo an Orange amp would be great for that purpose. But since you are low on funds that may be our of the question.

EDIT: it occurred to me that maybe getting an extension cabinet with a different set of speakers may help draw out more bottom end out of your Vox. Much of that Vox trebly tone comes from the blues or the greenbacks (depending on which version you use). Perhaps getting a deep cabinet with some speakers geared towards more bass can help.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Last edited by Remnest at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by Remnest
Perhaps and octave pedal could help getting desired results?

Ideally id suggest you get an amp that can provide good bottom end and complement your core AC30 sound. Imo an Orange amp would be great for that purpose. But since you are low on funds that may be our of the question.

EDIT: it occurred to me that maybe getting an extension cabinet with a different set of speakers may help draw out more bottom end out of your Vox. Much of that Vox trebly tone comes from the blues or the greenbacks (depending on which version you use). Perhaps getting a deep cabinet with some speakers geared towards more bass can help.

An octave pedal wouldn't really work on the songs that aren't fuzzy though. Yeah i was thinking about an Orange amp but the money thing again...

I had greenbacks in my ac30 but that's actually out of the question now. The ac30vr i'm using has 2 12 inch Vox VX12, celestion T5729A speakers. G12P-16ohm-50-22fx (i don't know what this information means but it was on the back of the speakers).
Look at the Ibanez BB9 big bottom boost

It is like a tubescreamer that boosts the low-end frequencies
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think its eh that makes a pedal called "bass balls" that may do the trick for you. They're pretty cheap.

Also, if its just you and a drummer, a looper will allow you to add much more to your live tunes.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The easiest (and cheapest) way to do it is to turn up your bass player's bass amp. A lot of the bass-y sound on albums we all love actually comes from (surprise) the bass guitar. So, I'd suggest you recruit a bass player.

However, since this isn't an immediate option, I would suggest turning up the bass setting on your amp (and leaving the treble setting where it is). You also might benefit from turning the mid up a bit. Naturally, the tone of your guitar pickups will affect whether you can get a good bass punch, as some pickups have more punch than others. If none of those work, then try a bass-booster pedal. It'll take a bit of fiddling to get it to sound good, but whatever.
Also, I'd recommend you sell that parametric EQ; it's probably hurting more than helping.
A bass extension cab, an EHX MicroPOG with the sub octave cranked, the raised octave almost off and dry at 12, slightly heavier strings, neck pickup and roll back the guitar's tone control slightly.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I would use 2 amps if you can. I was in a 2-piece band before and it sounded best when the guitarist played through both a guitar amp and a bass amp simultaneously.

Otherwise keep experimenting with your EQ pedal, and try placing it in different spots in your chain.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
1) Get your AC30 fixed, gonna get much better low end from a valve amp instead of the VR.
2) Use the neck pickup and roll your tone back.
3) Experiment with placement of your EQ pedal in the chain.
4) On any other pedals you use that have a tone control make sure they're turned down to the lower end of things.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
+1 for neck pickup and rolling tone back

If I were in a two-piece I'd use a whammy pedal or octaver and maybe even a big muff/fuzz when I need more low end
You're a single guitarist in a band and you're not dual amping?

On a more immediate realistic note, get an EQ in your chain. Simplest way to alter your frequencies. Being a single guitarist, and furthermore being in a two piece band is amazing - you don't have anything to compete with. Getting a sound you want should be a walk in the park for you.
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 6, 2013,
Take a look at BBE's "Sonic Stomp" pedal. It definitely makes the sort of difference you have described.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by lucky1978
I think its eh that makes a pedal called "bass balls" that may do the trick for you. They're pretty cheap.

lol that's an envelope filter...

Just get a bass amp, it works quite well if you EQ it right.
Kenneth
The real answer is a 615 extension cabinet.............

But seriously, an extension cabinet, when partnered with your REAL AC30 will do wonders for low end man.
well, an EQ pedal will help, but thats a bandaid. will only do so much. the best thing is fix your AC30test that. if not, get another extension cab, another 2x12 for 4 speakers OR, a bass style 1x15 would work wonders. larger or stacked cabs will be higher off the ground, that ALWAYS helps.

not sure how much you care about string guage but bumping 1 guage or going to heavy bottoms will help. hell, bump up 1 guage + heavy bottoms.

i personally hear a noticable difference between 9 heavys and 10 heavys.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'm not sure that it's more bass that you want, but a "bigger" sound with more "body"? For this your proper AC30 and an extension cab should do the trick.
Get a better bass player with a better bass rig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get a better bass player with a better bass rig.

+1

Or just put the bass up on the amp. lol.

Works for me, I play Jazz on my AC30 like Scofield
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Find yourself a 1x15 extension cabinet. Problem solved.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Guys, TS doesn't have much monies.

So... tune your guitar lower?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."