Hey guys.
I have an all black guitar and want to add a bit of colour to it (ibanez rg) and was thinking about spraying a small bit of gold on it artistically.
I don't really wanna do it directly on the guitar because im wanting to preserve the original state, so;
I was wondering if it were a good idea to paint on clear film (like contact), clearcoat that, then stick it in the top of the guitar?
THIS IS ONE FANTASTIC POST

HAHA, YOU LOOKED
If you want to keep it original don't paint it, if you want to paint it just paint it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I do wanna paint it,
Just be able to pull it off maybe down the track if I feel like a change

HAHA, YOU LOOKED
You're basically talking about clear packing tape with lacquer over it...not a good idea. Besides that, the lacquer will seal over whatever is under it; you can't just peel it off.
Ahhhhhh
Even if I painted the plastic before I attempted to sick it on?

HAHA, YOU LOOKED
That is not going to work. The paint will just flake off as soon as you try to manipulate it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by ranga97
I do wanna paint it,
Just be able to pull it off maybe down the track if I feel like a change

No it will not work

If you want it painted you will have to bite the bullet just paint it. There is no way to do what your asking.

There are websites that will make custom body stickers for guitar. So you could go that route if you really want to change the look of the guitar but still have the option to reverse what you have done
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
I saw on tv a clear spray that you can put on the hood of your car to prevent chips. you are able to then peel it off. don't know if it works.

just googled it and look at 3M. http://blogs.motortrend.com/diy-clear-bra-from-3m-prevents-stone-chips-for-under-50-29631.html#axzz2bC2VHtn4

Car paint is a completely different material. Depending on what this spray is made of, if the guitar has a poly finish, chances are this may just bond to the finish, defeating the purpose entirely. The solvent in the spray could actually damage the original paint too.
there are plenty of car paint that are polyurethanes.

Just trying to give him an option. it is up to him to research compatibility.
hahah never mind guys :3 I'll leave it for down the track
Might just paint the screws purple and later on the pickup covers too

HAHA, YOU LOOKED