Hello, I came for some advice.

Recently, I have been releasing quite a few songs and am ready to gig a bit ( soundcloud.com/cycle-band - cant post links yet so just copy and paste) .. Problem is , the venues don't reply. I try to act kind and show all of our work in the emails (I do find the work to be respectable as well), just never get replies. I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it? (16-17).. Thanks!
A mix. Ironically the only gigs I have gotten have been bars having all ages shows (that usually do not)
A lot of venues get emails every day from bands asking for gigs. All venues are trying to make a profit, so they will always go for their tried and tested moneymakers over a relatively untested band, so, your best bet to get gigs is either to put on your own gig, or get to know the bands that do play those venues and get them to put in a recommendation for you. I'd say your age can actually be an advantage, promoters often organise gigs for young bands, as they often bring all their friends and family, which means a lot of income for the venue, and young bands rarely argue with being paid nothing. A bit of a dark way to look at it, but you should be able to find gigs if you research promoters and bands in your area who might let you join a gig. I'd make a facebook page and a youtube channel, however, as someone who works with unsigned bands, if I just get a soundcloud link and a band bio in my inbox, I'm not even gonna look at the band. A facebook page is more professional, and it allows everyone to see how many fans you have. You need to be able to show a venue who you are, and how many people you could get down, and a Soundcloud isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
A lot of venues get emails every day from bands asking for gigs. All venues are trying to make a profit, so they will always go for their tried and tested moneymakers over a relatively untested band, so, your best bet to get gigs is either to put on your own gig, or get to know the bands that do play those venues and get them to put in a recommendation for you. I'd say your age can actually be an advantage, promoters often organise gigs for young bands, as they often bring all their friends and family, which means a lot of income for the venue, and young bands rarely argue with being paid nothing. A bit of a dark way to look at it, but you should be able to find gigs if you research promoters and bands in your area who might let you join a gig. I'd make a facebook page and a youtube channel, however, as someone who works with unsigned bands, if I just get a soundcloud link and a band bio in my inbox, I'm not even gonna look at the band. A facebook page is more professional, and it allows everyone to see how many fans you have. You need to be able to show a venue who you are, and how many people you could get down, and a Soundcloud isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid.

Got a Facebook, 2 youtubes, and a twitter, forgot to post :P

facebook.com/CycleBand
twitter.com/Cycleband1
youtube.com/user/Cycleband2013 (One of the youtubes)

Also have had some radio play
TS what do your emails say? Copy and paste one here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Press Pack : "Cycle"

Hello, we are an Alternative Rock Band from the suburbs of Philadelphia by the name of "Cycle". The style of music we play is a heavy and aggressive (yet melodic) approach to Alternative Rock, with some Stoner Rock, Hard Rock, and acoustical influences thrown in. We recently released a debut EP entitled "Crone" that will serve as a precursor to our debut LP we are planning, and we would love to play a few shows around town to support the music and build somewhat of a fan base in the area.
Seeing as we are quiet new (started playing live a little over 9 months ago, but majority of the past 4 months have been spent recording and building a respectable batch of songs) - we do not have a very large fan base. Our show history includes : Playing "The Nail" in Ardmore Twice, "The Fire" in Philadelphia once, and a few parties with friends and mutual friends. The average draw we have had to our shows would be between 30-200 (this is including other bands as well). With those numbers we of course are not expecting to be the main attraction of any show, but we would hope to be an opening/supporting act of some sort. Also I do not know the age policy, but I believe the shows would have to be all ages if we were be to play, as we are between the ages 16-17.

Our EP "Crone" http://cycle-band.bandcamp.com/

Thank you!
- Stephen Burdick

Social Media links below

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/CycleBand
Twitter - https://twitter.com/Cycleband1
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/Cycleband2013 + http://www.youtube.com/user/Burdman224
Thanks mate, it's bleedingly obvious why you are not getting responses. It's too long, and in the case you actually read the whole thing, you manage to convince the reader not to book your band.

This is what I learnt:

- you aren't very experienced, playing a total of 3 gigs outside your friend's houses
- you don't draw a crowd

Cool.

Never fear, I'm going to write you a proper one. Firstly make your default song on your bandcamp "Silver Calamity", because that's the only song where it goes somewhere in the first 30 seconds, which is all the time you have if they click on your bandcamp link. Some of the other songs don't even have lyrics for the first minute.

That aside here goes:

Hi guys,

I'm part of a local band Cycle and we'd love to be considered to play at [VENUE NAME]. [You can write a sentence about why you'd like to play at this specific venue here if you like].

We'd be classed as an alternative rock band, however you make your own mind up - listen to our tracks here http://cycle-band.bandcamp.com/

We've been around the local scene for about a year, been growing in popularity and developing a dedicated fan base along the way. We have played at

That's all you need. Simple, no crap.

If they're interested, address your age later and have a plan. Offer to have a responsible adult present if needed. If it doesn't go ahead, thank them and contact them again when you are old enough.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
What Alan said + little details like the name of the promoter instead of a generic "Hey guys", if you can find one.

Also you generally don't contact the venue, you contact the promoter. This overlaps sometimes but a little research by looking at the venue website, or just calling the venue before sending the email will get you more replies and less wasted time.

Be prepared to be ignored though, venues\promoters tends to be busy. It does not hurt to send a follow up email a couple of weeks after, but don't get demanding. If you don't get a reply after that then move on.
Just to add to what everyone else has said, I have a few points that I've found over the years.

- A good percentage of promoters (they'll who you want to be contacting rather than actual venues for local bands) are notoriously very bad at communication, especially if you aren't acquaintances. Don't be surprised if they don't reply, why would they put you on when they don't know if you'll bring a crowd.

- Building on the previous point, networking is key. Go to local gigs in your genre, communicate with all the local bands, help them out and buy some merch and assure them you'll like them on facebook, then ask who put them on that night. Find that guy or add him on facebook and chat to him/her (But don't just spam them with your band, actually be genuine.)

I guarantee you that if you do this enough, either one of the bands will ask if your band can play a support/opening slot or the promoter will.