Ok im having trouble when you bar something like this

x
x
x

With just the index finger, i almost always end up doing

x
x

And im wondering how people are positioning their index so it always comes out as the power chord.
Well you shouldn't be trying to barre the top example. The x notes are not played, The O is played but open, no fingering and the other two are played with the middle and ring fingers. There is no barre.

However if want a tutorial on power chords, search this site or try justinguitar.com . Cheers
It doesn't matter whether the B string is barred or not, the idea is you don't pick it in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's just an Asus2 and an A chord if I'm correct. You don't need to bar anything.

EDIT
My bad I misread this..
So you're trying to play an Asus2 but you accidentally turn it into A because for whatever insane reason you're barring. Use your ring and middle finger. Don't bar. Easy.

An 'X' on a tab represents a dead note, which means you don't play it.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 6, 2013,
Sometimes there's good reason to barre just the power chord, like if you want to use the other fingers to play riffs based around the A power chord.

You may just have to play with the angle of that index finger a bit. For me, the top knuckle on my index finger bends the other way a little bit, which helps with muting the 2nd string rather than actually pressing it down.

Another tip that may help is to try not to strum all the strings. Be a little more precise with your picking hand and try to just strum the three strings used in the power chord.
Quote by vayne92
That's just an Asus2 and an A chord if I'm correct. You don't need to bar anything.

EDIT
My bad I misread this..
So you're trying to play an Asus2 but you accidentally turn it into A because for whatever insane reason you're barring. Use your ring and middle finger. Don't bar. Easy.

An 'X' on a tab represents a dead note, which means you don't play it.

Yes i realize this, but on nearly every video i have seen, people always bar that power chord, they never play it with ring and middle.

If youre playing fast power chords you cant play it that way, its way too slow.

Not to mention their right hand is flailing all over the place, so theyre obviously muting and not strumming tiny little angles.
Last edited by jiimydeans at Aug 6, 2013,
Time to stop making excuses and sort out your picking

I often use a barre for that chord and it doesn't matter what I do with the B string because guess what, if I don't what to hear it I don't pick it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com