Hey guys,

I have a hard-tail Ibanez PGM (white). The fret board is basswood.

I typically like cleaning the fret board when I change strings, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for cleaning a basswood fret board.

I used to use a TINY bit of liquid gold on my rosewood axes and it worked wonders.
Are you sure it's basswood...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have never seen or heard of basswood being used for a fret-board. Are you sure the body in not basswood and the fret-board is Rosewood?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
LOL. You are right. Body is basswood. I guess I'm good with the fretboard then - it is maple.

How about the basswood body? Will Dunlop 65 suffice?
Yeah.
I use Gibson polish on all of my guitars, I've had the same bottle for 6-7 yrs. But any polish/cleaner that is for all finish types will be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dont use oil on maple. It's too hard for it to properly absorb.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠

Suggestions?
For a grimy maple fretboard, use a little bit of lighter fluid on a cloth! I use Zippo brand. Works great.
Quote by BenEllerGuitars
For a grimy maple fretboard, use a little bit of lighter fluid on a cloth! I use Zippo brand. Works great.

Be careful, that's an oil product too.
Quote by Acϵ♠

It's not that maple is too hard. It's because maple fingerboards are varnished...usually poly, and oil won't absorb into that. Just use a cleaner. Ebony and rosewood are both harder woods than maple, but are normally left unfinished.
Quote by stormin1155
It's not that maple is too hard. It's because maple fingerboards are varnished...usually poly, and oil won't absorb into that. Just use a cleaner. Ebony and rosewood are both harder woods than maple, but are normally left unfinished.

Ebony and rosewood contains a lot of natural oil and doesn't need to be finished. It would also be hard to get the finish to stick on them because of that.

Maple is usually finished because it doesn't have any natural protection. An unfinished maple neck will absorb moisture - to much and the wood will be in severe risk of warping.

What you generally do to clean an unfinished maple fretboard/whole neck is to use very fine sand-paper to clean of the dirt and then oil it up again with tung oil. These necks are only oil finished from the factory and it is impossible to get them to look like new without removing wood. That's just something you have to live with.

If the neck actually is finished with laquer or poly you just scrub of the dirt from the fretboard. Do not use oil on the fretboard as it will sink in around the frets and may damage the wood which causes the frets to lift.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Aug 7, 2013,
If the varnish is thick enough, i've used simple dish soap on maple boards lol. Not a lot, just mix some with warm water, dab it on the corner of a towel or something and gently scrub it. Shouldnt hurt the varnish or wood and gets grime off pretty easily.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Virtually anything that you would use on the body of the guitar can be used on the maple fretboard; it's usually covered with the same finish as on the rest of the guitar. So that would include any kind of guitar polish, etc.

Even a mild detergent in some warm water on a damp cloth (as suggested above) will be fine. Most kinds of furniture cleaner will work as well.
Quote by HomerSGR
Ebony and rosewood contains a lot of natural oil and doesn't need to be finished. It would also be hard to get the finish to stick on them because of that.

Maple is usually finished because it doesn't have any natural protection. An unfinished maple neck will absorb moisture - to much and the wood will be in severe risk of warping.

What you generally do to clean an unfinished maple fretboard/whole neck is to use very fine sand-paper to clean of the dirt and then oil it up again with tung oil. These necks are only oil finished from the factory and it is impossible to get them to look like new without removing wood. That's just something you have to live with.

If the neck actually is finished with laquer or poly you just scrub of the dirt from the fretboard. Do not use oil on the fretboard as it will sink in around the frets and may damage the wood which causes the frets to lift.

+1

also this
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/jem77-dy-maple-restore-72916.html
I use steel wool on my maple fretboard, maybe even a very light sand paper, you can't really use a cleaner on it, it will dry up the wood.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Why can't I have this problem with my maple board?
I like the look of a dirty maple neck. Haven't cleaned mine in 10+ years and I don't have any grime on it, or even worn down the clear
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab