I'm a beginner, looking to get into electric guitars. My dream is to play metal, I know I won't be able to now, but I'd like to get something that has the ability to play metal without sounding too bad.

I'm in Canada, and I'm purchasing from Axe Music (axemusic.com).

My budget for the guitar is $200. I've already decided on an amp (Peavey Vypyr VIP 1).

I've been looking through Axe Music and these three guitars caught my eye:
  • Schecter SGR C-1 ($199.00)
  • Ibanez GRG121EX (199.99)
  • ESP LTD M-10 ($178.00 - $199.00)

At first I was set on the Shecter, but after hearing about their thicker necks I was somewhat turned off (Will the thick neck slow me down, especially if I'm going to be playing metal somewhere down the line?). I then looked to the Ibanez, and it looked pretty good. I also heard that ESP LTDs were good but I know nothing of their lower-end stuff.

I'm very indecisive and I need some input on this. I'm starting to lose patience with myself, I might just pull the trigger soon! :P
Last edited by Wolfgang- at Aug 6, 2013,
Dont get any of those pieces of junk. Get on kijiji and look around, there's plenty of decent metal axes in that price range. For $200 though you're just going to end up wanting something better down the road sooner than later.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Dont get any of those pieces of junk. Get on kijiji and look around, there's plenty of decent metal axes in that price range. For $200 though you're just going to end up wanting something better down the road sooner than later.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I (personally) don't like using classifieds, and would prefer if I just bought from retail or online.

I know you don't like these three, but if you had to pick one, which would you pick?
Go used. Don't get those guitars. Get something in the middle range from Ibanez, LTD, Schecter, etc. IIRC, a 10-series LTD is one of, if not THE cheapest guitar line they have. It's almost certain to be junk.

If it's possible, save an extra hundred or two and try for an LTD deluxe used. If that's not realistic, a used Heartfield Talon 1, Godin Redline or RG450/470 might be found used close to your price range.

SGR is a poor Shecter line. The M-10 is the cheapest LTD line. The Ibanez GIO guitars are liked by some, but they're still very cheap. Don't buy any of them. If you end up liking guitar, you'll just end up selling it before the year is over.
Quote by Wolfgang-
Thanks for the suggestion, but I (personally) don't like using classifieds, and would prefer if I just bought from retail or online.

I know you don't like these three, but if you had to pick one, which would you pick?

That's what I figured. A lot of people don't deal with going used. Even though better deals can be had.

Personally, I'd still go with the Schecter if I had to pick one of those. Definitely stay away from cheap trems.
Quote by lilwill000
That's what I figured. A lot of people don't deal with going used. Even though better deals can be had.

Personally, I'd still go with the Schecter if I had to pick one of those. Definitely stay away from cheap trems.

Is the thick neck issue people have really that big of an issue, or is it just over-exaggerated? Because that's the main reason why I was looking for other alternatives. If it's not a big issue then I'll probably just go for it.

And thanks for the input.
No, it's not that big of an issue, in fact, their necks aren't thick at all. I honestly don't know where people got that from, calling them "baseball bat necks" is just plain exageration.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Wolfgang-

Why not though if you can get a better guitar for the same money.

Schecter necks aren't thick. People who say that are used to pencil thin Ibanez wizards. Schecters typically have a bit of a chunk on the backside, but only relative to other metal guitars. Compared to a Gibson or Fender or Gretsch or what have you they feel thinner.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Look at used Ibanez's from $200 to $350, you'll get a way better guitar for the money than buying a new guitar in your price range.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Why not though if you can get a better guitar for the same money.

or, you know, considering he's a beginner he could also get ripped off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lol yeah but that's what we're here for. I just cant comprehend why people wont go used when often times instruments just get better as they age. It's not like a car lmao.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Definitely the Ibanez. I didn't know the Gios had the AANJ now, but apparently they do. That model does anyway. Schecter and LTD bolt on heels are horribly designed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Definitely the Ibanez. I didn't know the Gios had the AANJ now, but apparently they do. That model does anyway. Schecter and LTD bolt on heels are horribly designed.

Is the hardware better on the Ibanez? Because someone else recommended the Shecter but I don't know exactly know why.
Regardless of what instrument you are thinking of getting, try and get a friend who plays guitar, or some kind of musician whose been in a band to go with you. They could possibly play it for you and show you how it could sound. The flip-side is that you could get pissed off because you're new and don't sound as "good". Or get one of the clerks to play it for you. Find the guitar in a store, like Long and Mcquade, play it, see how you like it, and order it from Axe Music if you like it. Try not to buy blind.

Try and stay away from Floyd Rose tremolos on your first guitar. Unless you are really determined, they're more of a hassle than they're worth to learn on. Try and get a hardtail guitar, and get an FR-equipped guitar for your second guitar if you think it will work for you.

I agree with going new first to an extent. I now would try, and now buy (bought a used 1987 Ibanez RG142 a few months back. Should have an NGD up soon, *plug*) a used guitar because I know what I want and what works for me.

If you go to L&M, try every guitar you think is cool. You never know what you're going to find. Also, try not to get set-up with a super expensive amp. If you buy a cheapie, you'll think you sound like shit, when really, you're just learning.

/my2cents.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Wolfgang-
Is the hardware better on the Ibanez? Because someone else recommended the Shecter but I don't know exactly know why.

No, not really. At that level it's all pretty much the same, TBH. But the Ibanez has the AANJ, which gives it way better upper fret access compared to the other two.

Are you able to play them? The best thing to do is play them and see which one feels best in your hands. I can only, and try to only display the objective differences, and try to suggest which one is superior in that light. A lot of people will just tell you what they prefer subjectively.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The LTD is good. The schecter would probably be better. The ibanez is meh. Newer gios kind of suck, old gios are pretty good though.

Check out rondo music. For about what your looking to pay you can get a AL2000 which would be better than any of those.
Quote by Darkdevil725
The LTD is good. The schecter would probably be better. The ibanez is meh. Newer gios kind of suck, old gios are pretty good though.

Check out rondo music. For about what your looking to pay you can get a AL2000 which would be better than any of those.

yeah i saw one for $160 on sale recently. depends if you are into heavy as hell guitars. thats my only complaint.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah i saw one for $160 on sale recently. depends if you are into heavy as hell guitars. thats my only complaint.

Yeah they are not lightweights. If you can find one used I suggest a GSZ120 with some decent gfs pups and tuners. I got one and its light as hell but has good sustain and resonates well. Deffinately helps if you have back issues. Its made of poplar which is similar tonally to alder but is lighter.

If we knew your city we could probably hunt down a few good used guitars that fit what you need if you don't mind trying used.
I live in the GTA. I don't mind getting used, I just don't like using classifieds and going through the meet-up process and whatnot. The last few I've had were a bit sketchy... I'd prefer not to spend over $200, if possible. And thanks.

And the AL2000 looks pretty good, I just don't really like the LP shape personally. I'll still keep an eye on it though.

Edit: Ooook apparently Rondo ships to my location for a whopping $80... Yeah I don't really think that's an option anymore...
Last edited by Wolfgang- at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by Acϵ♠
Lol yeah but that's what we're here for. I just cant comprehend why people wont go used when often times instruments just get better as they age. It's not like a car lmao.

there are plenty of reasons why people go new.

also, it's not like we can check the neck is straight for him. or that it needs a refret. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, so I visited my local music store (Long & Mcquade), and they had a red Ibanez GRG270 on clearance for $175. Is it worth it, or should I just stick with the Shecter?

I'm not sure if it's the GRG270B or the GRG270DX, it didn't specify.
Last edited by Wolfgang- at Aug 7, 2013,
used search for used guitars on guitarcenter.com take a look at the jackson rr3 ive seen a couple for $200 and under. or maybe some ibanez rg or the best ltd you can get within budget.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
used search for used guitars on guitarcenter.com take a look at the jackson rr3 ive seen a couple for $200 and under. or maybe some ibanez rg or the best ltd you can get within budget.

I selected my country as Canada and it still said it didn't ship here... Thanks for the suggestion though, shame that so many sites either don't ship here, or ship here for a ridiculous amount. :P

I guess I'm going the Schecter. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Last edited by Wolfgang- at Aug 8, 2013,